Thermal suite questions

RoupMom

I know this topic has been discussed in previous threads, but several various searches were not helping me. DH and I are wondering about the thermal suite for our August Alaska 14-day cruise. It seems that there are mixed opinions. My two main questions arise from cruise reviews and previous discussion threads. One is about the spa tubs there; someone said they are not as strong as the ones by the Lido pool. Is that your experience? Also is it your experience that some people "hog" the tile beds so they are rarely available? If so, it would seem that it's likely not worth the expense, but it sounds appealing otherwise. I'm also curious about the food available there that some have referenced; what kind?

Thanks in advance for your opinion.

Kathie

I only spent one day in the Thermal Suite on the Eurodam. The heated chair were popular, but DW and sat down right as another couple was getting up, so we didn't have an issue. It was delightful to sit there and watch Cuba roll by out the windows.

The bench section of the hydropool probably isn't as strong as the regular lido hottubs because you aren't so close to the jets, but the idea is that you can lay back and relax without getting knocked around. The jets in ring in the center of the hydro pool were strong enough that if I didn't hold on, I'd get pushed out the ring.

I don't recall any food being served in the thermal suite.

We used the thermal suite on our Alaska cruise aboard the Ryndam a few years ago and loved it. It wasn't as crowded as I thought it might have been. The heated stone lounge was heaven, especially when passing a glacier! Some passengers were out on the deck taking pictures and I could see that they were freezing, but I was nice and toasty with the same spectacular view!

Some do and some don't. Depends on what your heat tolerance is, if you want the padding, etc. I don't think anybody puts them on to avoid icky germs from other people. If someone were that paranoid, they probably wouldn't be using the termal pool or steam rooms either.

Since you mentioned the 14 day Alaska cruise, keep in mind that the Amsterdam's thermal suite is very different than the larger areas on the Vista and Signature class ships. It does not have the hydrotherapy pool; it has a small hot tub, sauna, steam room, a shower and the heated tile loungers.

You asked about fruit - on the Amsterdam, that is in the "relaxation room," an area where people wait for their spa treatments and an area open to all cruisers. You would exit the thermal suite, walk a short distance to the "relaxation room" if you wanted fruit or any beverage other than that supplied by the water fountain in the thermal area.

Sometimes the view is great from the Amsterdam's thermal area, but the windows often fog up and there is no view!

I used the thermal suite on the Eurodam last year. I liked the pool much better than the Ryndam this year, which only had a hot tub (very hot!). I don't feel there was a view from the Ryndam heated lounges.

On the Ryndam, we signed up for a week's pass. They told us that they only sell a certain number of full passes to avoid overcrowding. We never had a problem and people usually rotated off the lounges when others came in.

can you purchase the week pass ahead of time, or do you have to wait until you are onboard?

You can book it ahead of time, however you must call Ship Services to do it...it is not available online.

If you do book it prior to sailing, please be sure to check the weeklong price once onboard. Twice now the price for the weeklong package has been less when we got onboard. The first time this happened they gave us OBC for the difference, however this last time they refunded the original price and repurchased it for us.

Enjoy!!

:) :)

• 2 weeks later...
You can book it ahead of time, however you must call Ship Services to do it...it is not available online.

If you do book it prior to sailing, please be sure to check the weeklong price once onboard. Twice now the price for the weeklong package has been less when we got onboard. The first time this happened they gave us OBC for the difference, however this last time they refunded the original price and repurchased it for us.

Enjoy!!

:) :)

Do you, or anyone else, know the weekly or 2-week price?

If you really want to try out the thermal suite, go ahead!

I found out on my sailings that the best time was the late afternoon after 4 p.m. Most people were doing other things on the ship and I end up having the area as my own private spa. Now this happen not just on one cruise, but on three different ones.

Like Ms. Steinrunner stated, the nearby relaxation room had bowls of fruit, water with lemon slices, juice and hot water with a box of tea. I would go here for a glass of water and juice. I noticed some people brought the glasses in cups back in the thermal spa area, but I didn't.

Here are some pictures from the Maasdam, I think it's the same set up and will give you a look.

Tiled Heated Chairs, a pure slice of heaven!

2622766260100919633S600x600Q85.jpg

The spa hot tub

2054904890100919633S600x600Q85.jpg

There where two showers in the thermal spa room,both with aromatherapy option. They were really great coming out of the steam sauna!

2677574370100919633S600x600Q85.jpg

This is one of the saunas (it was being cleaned, otherwise too steamy)

2414965730100919633S600x600Q85.jpg

Great view from sitting in the hot tub. I just loved sitting in the hot tub and looking outside.

2789293620100919633S600x600Q85.jpg

As for pricing, I know last December on my 11 day cruise it was $90. On my 14 day cruise it was $150. I can't recall the price on my 10 day. I waited until boarding to purchase my pass. Now I normally don't arrived on the ship until after 1:00 p.m. and get to the spa until close to 2 p.m. and they still had passes. The spa do limit the number of cruise full passes. Not sure about the daily ones.

My question is, in the thermal suites are there cool/cold areas? I love doing cold plunges after a super hot sauna, I know there isn't a cold plunge on the Oosterdam, but are there cold showers, ice to rub on yourself, tepid pool, anything of the like?

Nothing ice cold that I'm aware of. The T-pool is supposed to be body temperature, not a hot tub, but it doesn't always work out that way. It's always a good idea to check if the pool will be kept at the proper (cooler) temperature before signing up for the spa in the first place.

More than once I have skipped signing up because the pool was kept too hot.

Does Maasdam have the full hydropool, or just hot tub(s)?

As far as I know, the ships with the full hydropool are the Vista & Signature. The S- & R-class ships have the hot tub, as they were retrofitted with the expanded gym/spa.

The Prinsendam has neither the T-pool nor the heated ceramic loungers. I asked on my recent cruise.

Does the Veendam have a thermal suite?:)

Every ship except the Prinsendam has a thermal suite. The Prinsendam may have some of the elements of the thermal suite, too (I don't know for certain), but they don't have the pool or the ceramic loungers (I do know that for certain).

The S- & R-class ships have a hot tub instead of a T-pool.

Archived