Junkanoo Beach, to go or not to go?

baileyimpact

My wife and I are looking for a beach that is easy to get to and is well taken care of. We are really looking for a beach where we can just relax. We do not really need a resort day pass. I would like to know thoughts and past experiences with Junkanoo Beach.

How do you get to it from the ship?

Are there shops or restaurants close by?

Are there chairs for rent and how much?

Thanks in advance for any info given.

We were at Junkanoo Beach when we were in Nassau last month. It's a short 10 - 15 minute walk from the ship. If I remember right, I think the chairs were $5.00 each to rent but I don't think they had umbrellas..these were just "chairs" not loungers. I think the loungers were more expensive. We just threw our towel on the sand and sat on it. :)

There are a few concession stands on the beach. We had an order of conch fritters, a margarita and a rum & coke and the total was $16 which isn't a bad price. I also remember seeing a McDonalds while we were walking and I'm sure there are other eating places close by.

We thought the beach was great.. It was a nice hot day and the water was just right. We got there fairly early and by 1:00 p.m. the beach was starting to get crowded. It had everything we wanted and you can't beat the price ;)

We were at Junkanoo Beach when we were in Nassau last month. It's a short 10 - 15 minute walk from the ship. If I remember right, I think the chairs were $5.00 each to rent but I don't think they had umbrellas..these were just "chairs" not loungers. I think the loungers were more expensive. We just threw our towel on the sand and sat on it. :)

There are a few concession stands on the beach. We had an order of conch fritters, a margarita and a rum & coke and the total was $16 which isn't a bad price. I also remember seeing a McDonalds while we were walking and I'm sure there are other eating places close by.

We thought the beach was great.. It was a nice hot day and the water was just right. We got there fairly early and by 1:00 p.m. the beach was starting to get crowded. It had everything we wanted and you can't beat the price ;)

Agree 100%. We go there on every trip to NAssau.

When you exit the ship walk to your right along the water front until you see Senior Frogs. Maks a left and follow the strret to the main road. MAke a right and follow the road past McDonalds and the British Colonial Hilton. When you pass BCH go right then left. The beach begins on your right side.

We were there in May, LOVED IT! The water was AWESOME! Not one local tried to sell us a thing (not that this is bad, but at Paradise Island's public beach it was literally constant that we were being asked to buy something). It wasn't crowded at all. We are happy to just sit in the sand at the waters edge, I don't need chairs. Floats of some kind would have been nice, but I am going to the Bahamas again in October & I will just walk on over to Junkanoo beach again :D.

We had a great time when we were there in May. The little Shaks that sell drinks/food we had one of the best daquaris ever there. Probably a 10 -15 min walk from the pier. Keep walking past the British Colonial Hilton and it will be on your right. I do reccommend water shoes or something that you can get wet as there is some small bits of broken glass in the sand.

Lots of good info. can you make the walk in flip-flops or should one wear shoes?

Sure you can do that in flip-flops. A bit of a walk, but if you can go a mile or so in those, no one will notice. Some of the locals do.

Afterall, everyone will know that you are another tourist.

But to be practical, wear something that will be 'comfortable'.

• 3 weeks later...

I was there Thursday and I wore water shoes off the ship and my boyfriend wore flip flops (comfy ones). I am sort of a couch potato and had no problem at all walking to Junkanoo beach. It is not far at all. After spending a few minutes there, we walked around Nassau on our own for about 4 hours. Junkanoo is a nice little beach.

this sounds like a good place to know, as we won't be spending money on shore excursions here this time--is the beach safe to leave some things on the chair while in the water? I am talking about leaving clothing and sunglasses on the chair, not valuables.

this sounds like a good place to know, as we won't be spending money on shore excursions here this time--is the beach safe to leave some things on the chair while in the water? I am talking about leaving clothing and sunglasses on the chair, not valuables.

We did! ;) Like you said, I wouldn't leave any valuables but the beach is not huge and from where we were sitting it was just a short walk to the water and we kept an eye on our stuff. By the afternoon, there were other cruisers on the beach too so you could always ask them to keep an eye on your stuff while you're in the water. We felt very safe there and weren't really bothered by vendors, even though it's a public beach.:)

which one are you talking about? Nassau or Freeport?

I was at the one in Freeport- was a 20 min cab ride- it was well worth it. Cheap fun day. Had chairs, umbrellas, paddle boats, kayaks, jet ski, shopping etc. was $5 per person. jet ski was extra

Archived