Patrick's 3/4 day tour on Bora Bora

MichCook

This is a rash guard...........and I use mine for two reasons. One, if the water isn't as warm as I would like it helps to insulate you against the cooler temps. And two, to protect from getting too much sun while snorkeling.show_image_in_imgtag.php?filename=resized%2FWomen_s_Anti_UV__48d1e514a484c_90x90.jpg&newxsize=120&newysize=120&fileout=

Toto,

What do you wear a rashguard with? Shorts, Bathing Suit? I've never used one but it looks like a great idea.

Toto,

What do you wear a rashguard with? Shorts, Bathing Suit? I've never used one but it looks like a great idea.

I just slip it on over my bathing suit, works perfectly. That way I can enjoy the shade without it in my swimsuit, and just slip it on before snorkeling or being on a boat with little shade. They really are not all that warm, and have saved me from some terrible sunburns in the past. Plus, I can not stand to be in cold water, I am fine waist deep, but anything above that makes me really shiver. This has helped when snorkeling or swiming in water that wasn't as warm as I wanted it to be. Definitely worth the small investment IMHO!

Patrick uses outriggers, the seating is wood benchs (I can't say that it is actually comfortable seating but pretty typical of what you will find in Tahiti on any outrigger canoe). The sting rays are in waist deep water, but the snorkeling is out in deep water, no beach close at all (they can't just pull up to the beach at any Motu in Tahiti and let passengers off, as they are privately owned by families). And there really isn't much snorkeling to speak of off the motu where you have lunch. I would suggest that your friend take a couple of towels to sit on if he plans to just sit on the outrigger most of the day.

Thanks for the clarification, Toto.

• 3 months later...

Rash guard shirts are not too hot and pretty much essential ! Even with lots of sunscreen when you are snorkelling and in the water it is impossible to put on enough sunscreen to prevent burns - it will protect you. My husband just wore a tight fitting dry fit shirt and it was fine! I got the rash guard shirt and it was an essential

Hi

If you can manage it at all and if Patrick is able to accommodate you to help with entering and leaving the boat by the side ladder - I would try to get in the water if you are at all able. But if not - go on the tour and enjoy because the sights are still amazing! All the best !

Will be doing Patricks next APril. Ship tours say you can't use fins. Do you know if that's the case with Patricks? Is it a general "rule" in that area?

We have always used fins when Patrick takes us to the coral gardens. These gardens are not in shallow water, so you won't damage the coral there. Unless you are a great/stong swimmer, I would suggest packing your fins, they come in handy to navigate and see the most you can see in the time allowed.

There are some tours (such as in Raiatea) at those coral gardens they don't want you to use fins, as the coral is not deep in the water, and it can be damaged if hit with the fins.

You should probably take water shoes & small fins to be prepared for all instances - we walked off the ship in our water shoes as did most people on the tours and then just took the fins on the tour and we glad we had both - you really can't be in the water almost anywhere without water shoes

On Patrick's boats, 10-12 people sit on benches along the length of the boat (covered). The is also seating for 2 in the front of the boat (not covered). I enjoyed seeing the water color from the boat most, although I did get into the water 3 times: petted the sting rays, floated at a sandy beach, and snorkled. For us, the snorkling was not so good...we went somewhere other than the coral garden and there wasn't much to see. There were some strong winds last week so maybe that is why we didn't get to Coral Garden??????

• 3 weeks later...
On Patrick's boats, 10-12 people sit on benches along the length of the boat (covered). The is also seating for 2 in the front of the boat (not covered). I enjoyed seeing the water color from the boat most, although I did get into the water 3 times: petted the sting rays, floated at a sandy beach, and snorkled. For us, the snorkling was not so good...we went somewhere other than the coral garden and there wasn't much to see. There were some strong winds last week so maybe that is why we didn't get to Coral Garden??????

Sansterre is spot on. We, too, were booked on this tour which was supposed to feature Patrick, the alleged flamboyant heir to the island's former monarchy.

Not only do 10 to 12 people sit on benches along the length of the boat, Patrick's outriggers have two benches, one on each side of the boat. Participants sit shoulder to shoulder, knee to knee with no space in between. Very claustrophobic and really, really uncomfortable for such a long tour.

In addition to our dissatisfaction with the seating configuration, Patrick announced dockside that he would not be joining the group as he had a scheduling conflict. There was no good excuse for this since the tour was booked over a year in advance. The final straw for us, however, was that the guide assigned to our boat was not even an authentic Polynesian but an Ozzie with the most irritating manner. In our opinion, the tour being offered that day was not as represented. In fact, we felt so abused we left the boat before its departure.

We found a much larger, more comfortable boat right at the dock for half the price and with far fewer passengers. This tour did not include lunch but did include snacks, snorkeling and swimming on a private motu. We toured the same locations as Patrick's outriggers at the same time along with many other tour boats. Unlike Patrick's tour, we did, in fact, get to see a Coral Garden and much of the island as well.

Unless you have a burning desire to ride an outrigger with two dozen people shoulder to shoulder and knee to knee, suggest you opt for a different vendor. They are easy to find.

Sansterre is spot on. We, too, were booked on this tour which was supposed to feature Patrick, the alleged flamboyant heir to the island's former monarchy.

Not only do 10 to 12 people sit on benches along the length of the boat, Patrick's outriggers have two benches, one on each side of the boat. Participants sit shoulder to shoulder, knee to knee with no space in between. Very claustrophobic and really, really uncomfortable for such a long tour.

In addition to our dissatisfaction with the seating configuration, Patrick announced dockside that he would not be joining the group as he had a scheduling conflict. There was no good excuse for this since the tour was booked over a year in advance. The final straw for us, however, was that the guide assigned to our boat was not even an authentic Polynesian but an Ozzie with the most irritating manner. In our opinion, the tour being offered that day was not as represented. In fact, we felt so abused we left the boat before its departure.

We found a much larger, more comfortable boat right at the dock for half the price and with far fewer passengers. This tour did not include lunch but did include snacks, snorkeling and swimming on a private motu. We toured the same locations as Patrick's outriggers at the same time along with many other tour boats. Unlike Patrick's tour, we did, in fact, get to see a Coral Garden and much of the island as well.

Unless you have a burning desire to ride an outrigger with two dozen people shoulder to shoulder and knee to knee, suggest you opt for a different vendor. They are easy to find.

I saw a photo of the outrigger on Patrick's website. Are there at least cushions on the two long seats? I suppose it would be awkward moving about when it comes to dip/snorkelling time. Sorry this shoreex was not all it was described to be. Our first Bora Bora lagoon cruise was in Damian's loveboat...a very comfortable ride.

Guest zafra63

:( Anna, that would be such a disappointment if our Tour would be like described above. Can we find out more about this?? Can we be sure that Patrick will do our Tour??

Cheers, Netty

Watch for reports that will surely be coming from cruise critic members now returning from their 28-day cruise on Sapphire Princess. A huge group from this cruise took Patrick's excursion on November 8th. The Sapphire is due back in Los Angeles this weekend. Reports that the internet has been very difficult onboard has prevented much detailed information on excursions, but two very short descriptions have been very positive regarding Patrick's tour. So, keep watching for reviews from these Sapphire passengers who will have current information.

From our personal experience, we can say we had a wonderful day with Patrick in the Fall of '09 and look forward to his excursion in 2013. We found his outrigger canoes to be very smooth sailing vessels, and I don't recall being uncomfortable at all, but, yes, these are small boats, so there is not much room between people when seated if the boat is full to capacity, that number being 12 passengers per canoe.

Guest zafra63
Watch for reports that will surely be coming from cruise critic members now returning from their 28-day cruise on Sapphire Princess. A huge group from this cruise took Patrick's excursion on November 8th. The Sapphire is due back in Los Angeles this weekend. Reports that the internet has been very difficult onboard has prevented much detailed information on excursions, but two very short descriptions have been very positive regarding Patrick's tour. So, keep watching for reviews from these Sapphire passengers who will have current information.

From our personal experience, we can say we had a wonderful day with Patrick in the Fall of '09 and look forward to his excursion in 2013. We found his outrigger canoes to be very smooth sailing vessels, and I don't recall being uncomfortable at all, but, yes, these are small boats, so there is not much room between people when seated if the boat is full to capacity, that number being 12 passengers per canoe.

Thanks Bucky3, so glad to read your post. We will keep an eye on the new reviews of Patrick's tour from the shipmaters of the Sapphire.

Netty :)

Guest zafra63

Anna, I wonder if Patrick is aware of negative feedback regarding his Tours?? I really hope, we will not be disappointed. If we do that Tour with 11 people, that means no more vacancies??? You have done well!!!

Raining here and temp. is a lot lower than yesterday, quite cool now.

Cheers from Melbourne. Netty

Anna, I wonder if Patrick is aware of negative feedback regarding his Tours?? I really hope, we will not be disappointed. If we do that Tour with 11 people, that means no more vacancies??? You have done well!!!

Raining here and temp. is a lot lower than yesterday, quite cool now.

Cheers from Melbourne. Netty

Netty, you know the saying that "you can't please all the people all the time".

I have only seen one negative re Patrick's tour.

Not to worry, "she'll be right mate".;)

Guest zafra63

We will have a great Tour!!! :D Funny that we were on the same wavelength with this?:cool: I keep an eye on the posts from CC members returning from Tahiti on the Saphire Princess.

Cheers, Netty:)

Archived