MDR seating question

VAMommy

I've been reading LOTS of posts regarding the MDR and now I have a question....

When you go to the MDR, are you seated at your own table or with a group of strangers?

I, personally, would prefer the later because I am a social bee!! On my 1st cruise, it was just me & my friend and each time we ate in the MDR, we sat at a table for 2.

Many of you have mentioned your "dining partners"...do you get the same people at your table? What about the waiter? Is it always the same? Is is dependent on what dinner time you selected? (BTW - we chose "your time dining").

As always - Thanks in advance!!

Lea

I've been reading LOTS of posts regarding the MDR and now I have a question....

When you go to the MDR, are you seated at your own table or with a group of strangers?

I, personally, would prefer the later because I am a social bee!! On my 1st cruise, it was just me & my friend and each time we ate in the MDR, we sat at a table for 2.

Many of you have mentioned your "dining partners"...do you get the same people at your table? What about the waiter? Is it always the same? Is is dependent on what dinner time you selected? (BTW - we chose "your time dining").

As always - Thanks in advance!!

Lea

Since you booked Your Time Dining it's most likely you'll be seated by yourselves. You can request a large table but few people seem to request that option with YTD...

You can request the same wait team each night but it generally involves a bit of a delay...

:)

Most days (exceptions embarcation day and port days often) the MDR is open for breakfast and lunch. For breakfast/lunch you will be assigned to a table based on open seating vs. your assigned dinner waiter.

As for table preference, it is somewhat randomized I think you can select a preferred table size but there are no guarantees.

Good catch on "your time dining" Mach... I missed seeing that, so your dinner will work a lot like breakfast/lunch in MDR, you will be asked for a preference and see what happens. Depends on whether they have spots to fill and the hostess that evening.

On all of the cruises we have been on we are set at a table with strangers. Both times we have changed our seating arrangements because the "dining partners" we received were not exactly our style. But you have the option of having them place you at any random seat or, if available, your own seating.

I have not yet been on Carnival, but I'm pretty sure you can eat both breakfast and lunch in the MDR. There are just set hours as to when you can go. Also, at least on RCL, you don't choose who you get to sit with, nor are you at the same table you have for dinner. You just get seated as you come.

Are you talking about assigned dining times? Then yes, you will be assigned a table and it could more than likely be a 6 or 8 top if you are only 2 in your group. You will then have the same waiters and tablemates for the entire cruise. On the first day go down to the MDR find out where your table assignment is and if you don't care for it talk to the Maitre d' and you MIGHT be able to get it changed.

If you prefer to eat later, why not switch to Late Seating for the MDR that way you can be your social self and enjoy other's company as well.

On NCL you can always request to be seated with others for any meal as there are no assigned dining times, Carnival might do that as well.

Your next question should be: To switch/rotate seats or not. Its always nice to have a different view of the dining room every evening so switch up the seating arrangement at your table. ;)

I don't know if I have the best experience about dining with others for dinner-

First cruise w/Carnival we were part of a wedding and were seated with 4 people we didn't know, but were also part of the wedding. We got along fine with the other couple, but the two single girls moved their chairs over to be with their younger freinds.

Second cruise was with friends, and we had a table for 4 each night.

Third cruise same thing

Fourth cruise coming up, it's me, hubby and my boss, and we are wanting to sit at a large table so we can all meet others.

Breakfasts in the MDR, we ask to sit by our selves, until we can sort of wake up.

At lunch in the MDR we love to be seated with other people, and the host/hostess has always obliged us. Hope this helps, and we have early dining from the second cruise on....heaven forbid I should fall asleep in my wonton soup.:eek:

But even if you are at a 2 top, the tables are close together that it is easy to talk to people at the tables next to you. We have made some good cruise friends this way.

If you like the waiter on the 1st night, you can request to sit in his/her section the following nights.

the MDR is only open for lunch on sea days.

But even if you are at a 2 top, the tables are close together that it is easy to talk to people at the tables next to you. We have made some good cruise friends this way.

If you like the waiter on the 1st night, you can request to sit in his/her section the following nights.

the MDR is only open for lunch on sea days.

This is so true, and I've also done this! The 2-top tables are usually the kind with a row of small tables lined up along a long booth, and a chair on the other side of the table. You're maybe 3 feet away from the next table of 2. If the other couple next to you looks like they'd be your "style" of friend, its really really easy to strike up a conversation!

Also, I ALWAYS meet a few "cruise friends" at the bar. I usually scope out 2 or 3 bars/lounges that I think would be interesting on the first night. Then I pick my favorite one and go there almost every night. A lot of other cruisers seem to do the same thing, so you will see the same friendly faces every night!

It's easy to make friends on cruises. Everyone else is out to have a good time with others as well. It just happens naturally. Have fun!

Thank you to everyone that responded!

When I cruise in '13, there will be 4 of us (me + sisters). If we get our own table or get seated with others, I think we'll be fine. All 4 girls couldn't be more different so even without making new friends at dinner, I'm sure we'll be quite the entertainment to see/hear!

This will be our first time to do YTD... we'll be able to to a table for two every night, right? It's our honeymoon, and we don't mind waiting a bit if needed.

The host/hostess will ask whether or not you want to share a table. Just say 'no' and you will get a table for 2.

Are you talking about assigned dining times? Then yes, you will be assigned a table and it could more than likely be a 6 or 8 top if you are only 2 in your group. You will then have the same waiters and tablemates for the entire cruise. On the first day go down to the MDR find out where your table assignment is and if you don't care for it talk to the Maitre d' and you MIGHT be able to get it changed.

If you prefer to eat later, why not switch to Late Seating for the MDR that way you can be your social self and enjoy other's company as well.

On NCL you can always request to be seated with others for any meal as there are no assigned dining times, Carnival might do that as well.

Your next question should be: To switch/rotate seats or not. Its always nice to have a different view of the dining room every evening so switch up the seating arrangement at your table. ;)

The OP has stated that they have "Your Time Dining" which is identical to NCL's anytime dining.

I like regular assigned Early Dining myself. I always ask to be seated at a large table and this last cruise my friend and I were seated with 4 other sets of friends (all ladies) from all over. We had a blast and got nicely acquainted. I expect to keep in touch with at least one of them for a long time.

That's one thing you don't get on Your Time Dining. I've always had great tablemates. The one year my 2 friends and I were alone in a booth was a letdown. We had already spent the day together and there wasn't anyone else to get to know.

We've discovered that at a shared table in ATD you are placed with people who want to share a table. Met many fun people this way.

Also the look of the hostess's face when you say you will share is one of surprise and relief.

Archived