Norweigan Star to Alaska Disaster

mwh27

I would hope that I would have credit with the airline to use for tickets elsewhere at a later date. That has never happened before.

Oh, that's ok. I'm much more convincing in person.

Okay, I've read through this thread. Regrettably.

1) In the scenario of the flight to Montreal...you would have used the flight to get to Montreal. Just because Customs & Immigration don't let you in, the airline isn't going to absorb your costs. You'll use your return ticket, when Immigration puts you back on a plane home.

2) Imagine flying to China, and arriving to find you need a VISA. The airline has ZERO responsibilty to inform you, and ZERO responsibility to protect you from your mistakes. Your agreement with the airline is transportation. It's a long way there, and a long way back.

3) The collection of Passport numbers is for the purposes of ensuring you're not 'wanted' or on a 'do not fly' list. It's not to remind you that you have to find out what documentation is required.

4) If I had documentation, but my partner did not and was refused boarding at the gate, we would have a serious sit-down discussion about options. I imagine, given 18 years of experience together, that the outcome of that discussion would be that he would return home, OR stay in Seattle for a week, and that I would use the cruise cabin which had already been paid for.

The only reason there would be tension, is that I generally take on the mantle of info-gathering...so if he was under-documented, it would be my fault...:eek::rolleyes:.

You have no claim, and you have no justification in pointing the finger.

In fact, when you point your finger at NCL, pay attention to your hand. You'll notice that the 3 other fingers are pointing at yourself.

everytime we travel abroad we check, double check and triple check our documents to make sure, if anything, we are OVER documented. We're doing the same for our "closed circuit" cruise as well. Why chance, perhaps, being denied boarding??? In this day and age it's a necessity. Is NCL at fault that you didn't do your work beforehand? Um, NO.

Okay, I've read through this thread. Regrettably.

1) In the scenario of the flight to Montreal...you would have used the flight to get to Montreal. Just because Customs & Immigration don't let you in, the airline isn't going to absorb your costs. You'll use your return ticket, when Immigration puts you back on a plane home.

2) Imagine flying to China, and arriving to find you need a VISA. The airline has ZERO responsibilty to inform you, and ZERO responsibility to protect you from your mistakes. Your agreement with the airline is transportation. It's a long way there, and a long way back.

3) The collection of Passport numbers is for the purposes of ensuring you're not 'wanted' or on a 'do not fly' list. It's not to remind you that you have to find out what documentation is required.

4) If I had documentation, but my partner did not and was refused boarding at the gate, we would have a serious sit-down discussion about options. I imagine, given 18 years of experience together, that the outcome of that discussion would be that he would return home, OR stay in Seattle for a week, and that I would use the cruise cabin which had already been paid for.

The only reason there would be tension, is that I generally take on the mantle of info-gathering...so if he was under-documented, it would be my fault...:eek::rolleyes:.

You have no claim, and you have no justification in pointing the finger.

In fact, when you point your finger at NCL, pay attention to your hand. You'll notice that the 3 other fingers are pointing at yourself.

1) Wrong. I don't know how it is at your airport, but I assure you that when I go to the airport here in Vallarta they check all necessary documents before allowing me/and or my wife to board the plane. For example. Let's say I am heading back to my hometown of Kansas City to see me family. When my wife and I arrive at the airport and check in our baggage and pick up the tickets the airline is going to check for several things. They will see that we are flying to the United States and they will ensure that my wife has a U.S. visa and they will make sure that I have a U.S. visa or passport and they will check to see if I have an up to date tourist card or in this case an FM 2.

Do you really believe that they just let my wife get on the plane without a U.S. visa and then get turned away at immigration in Houston where I normally make my connection for Kansas City? You are very wrong.

This makes #2 a moot point.

3) Assuming you are correct about the reason they want my passport info, imagine if they used that info for multiple purposes and one of those purposes was to notify the passenger that they will be needing a visa for one of the ports of call.

4) That's pretty sad. I wouldn't want to be your partner. I believe vacations are about spending time with loved ones and I would rather be with my wife in Vegas and miss the cruise altogether then go without her.

LOL, do you really believe that? I haven't posted anything slanderous yet. I speak the truth sir.

Yeah and the truth is the info was right on the documents...YOU chose not to read it or do your research

You KNOW your wife's passport is from Mexico...so that alone meant you should think to call or do an online search.

She could have called NCL and "pressed ocho por Espanol" or whatever

Let's think about it....Mexicans are NOT Americans..the rules may be different. Just knowing that you should have checked

You work in tourism??? For those visiting Mexico?? Maybe Mexico has some countries that require a visa... doesn't Mexico enforce that??

Let's get real here..this is a sad situation, but one that does happen. People need to take responsibility for their own travel. If they can't they need to find a "real" and good travel agent to take that responsibility. I have seen other Alaska threads where people didn't have a passport , or had a DUI. or had a spouse from another country.

NCL can't bother everyone sailing with a personal follow up....they put the info right on the docs. You need to follow up or have a "real" travel agent do it for you.

NCL can't bother everyone sailing with a personal follow up...

Sure they can. It's called customer service.

They have been following up. They continue to send me emails asking me to post about my cruise and asking me to buy another one.

I don't know why people think it's so difficult to take care of the customer. That's what I do. i take care of the customer/tourist.

Why couldn't NCL pay a Canadian consulate rep extra money to be there on site to take care of Visa problems such as this. Like I said, I would have paid $500 for a quick fix temporary Canadian visa that day. It just doesn't seem that difficult to take care of this reoccurring problem. The only reason I can think of is that they don't want to help the customer board the cruise because they already have their money. Yes, they do put stuff in the edocs to cover themselves, but if they really wanted to ensure that the customer was able to board, they could and would.

They have been following up. They continue to send me emails asking me to post about my cruise and asking me to buy another one.

I don't know why people think it's so difficult to take care of the customer. That's what I do. i take care of the customer/tourist.

Why couldn't NCL pay a Canadian consulate rep extra money to be there on site to take care of Visa problems such as this. Like I said, I would have paid $500 for a quick fix temporary Canadian visa that day. It just doesn't seem that difficult to take care of this reoccurring problem. The only reason I can think of is that they don't want to help the customer board the cruise because they already have their money. Yes, they do put stuff in the edocs to cover themselves, but if they really wanted to ensure that the customer was able to board, they could and would.

How much would you have NCL spend for one percent of passengers (that's what 20 passengers out of 2000 equals)? NCL has at least two departments looking this issue- legal and accounting. From the legal standpoint the lawyers no doubt feel that if the company does anything extra relative to passenger notification it would errode their defense if something goes wrong and they would still have passengers showing up with the wrong documents- who would then have a potentially stronger case. From the accounting point of view they would have to factor in the extra training that would have to occur company wide regarding appropriate travel documents because every customer service person would have to know the appropriate answer plus the cost of updating all systems, etc.

Under NCL's current way of doing things roughly 1980 passengers from each sailing manage to show up with the right documents and 20 do not. If I were a business I'm not sure that I would do much more. Having a consulate rep there would be more a function for the port authority, not NCL. Maybe you can recommend that to the port authority.

I have to give you credit for coming back to the thread. If you are that persistent with NCL then you might just end up with some sort of credit afterall.

Why do posts keep disappearing from this thread?

DasMonkey, gte937, and myself all have deleted posts that I know of.

I made a post last night that said there was 100 posts before and now there is 97. What happened to that post. Dasmonkey made fun of me for not being able to convince the lady at the cruise port to let my wife on the ship. What happened to that post? gte937 made a post this morning saying to another poster that he thought the point of this thread was to get the attention of NCL. What happened to that post? Am I just unable to see these posts for some reason?

Weird.

Yes, they do put stuff in the edocs to cover themselves, but if they really wanted to ensure that the customer was able to board, they could and would.

No, my belief is they put this in the edocs for passengers to read and understand.

With all the posts on here with so many different wordings, you still haven't figured out this is YOUR responsibility not NCL. You are blaming your lack of research or experience on the wrong person.

For every country I visited on a cruise or by air, I have always checked the requirements for that country for documents and vacinations I would require, I certainly wouldn't leave that in a 3rd parties hands like a cruise ship. If you were not an experience traveler than really you should have booked through a TA which deals with all of your trip. As for things in small print, no not everyone reads that stuff (although I do), but if you choose not to then you choose to have surprises if you do not know what is in that small print.

Why couldn't NCL pay a Canadian consulate rep extra money to be there on site to take care of Visa problems such as this. Like I said, I would have paid $500 for a quick fix temporary Canadian visa that day. .

OMG please someone more knowledgeable than I tell me it takes more than an hour to process a temporary Canadian Visa for a day. I know our border laws could use some sprucing up but I'd like to think it took more than an hour to do the research to allow a foreign country citizen to enter this country. Not talking U.S. by the way, since we have a working relationship with our "cousins to the south" that passports do the trick.

OK phewf, never mind all I found the information

"The estimated processing times for Temporary Residents apply only to applicants who reside in Mexico. Temporary Resident Visa (visitor or transit visa): From 10 to 15 working days from the day that the application is received at the Embassy"

How much would you have NCL spend for one percent of passengers (that's what 20 passengers out of 2000 equals)? NCL has at least two departments looking this issue- legal and accounting. From the legal standpoint the lawyers no doubt feel that if the company does anything extra relative to passenger notification it would errode their defense if something goes wrong and they would still have passengers showing up with the wrong documents- who would then have a potentially stronger case. From the accounting point of view they would have to factor in the extra training that would have to occur company wide regarding appropriate travel documents because every customer service person would have to know the appropriate answer plus the cost of updating all systems, etc.

Under NCL's current way of doing things roughly 1980 passengers from each sailing manage to show up with the right documents and 20 do not. If I were a business I'm not sure that I would do much more. Having a consulate rep there would be more a function for the port authority, not NCL. Maybe you can recommend that to the port authority.

I have to give you credit for coming back to the thread. If you are that persistent with NCL then you might just end up with some sort of credit afterall.

If that 1% gets 1 or 2 other families not to book NCL based on the way they were treated, then lets do the math again. Pissing off 1% of your customers is not a good idea.

I have no doubt that accounting loves the way NCL handles it, lol.

If I ran NCL, i would do everything humanly possible to ensure my customers boarded my ships. I do realize that there will be instances beyond their control, but a majority could be taken care of.

I did recommend that to the port authority. No doubt it fell on deaf ears.

OMG please someone more knowledgeable than I tell me it takes more than an hour to process a temporary Canadian Visa for a day. I know our border laws could use some sprucing up but I'd like to think it took more than an hour to do the research to allow a foreign country citizen to enter this country. Not talking U.S. by the way, since we have a working relationship with our "cousins to the south" that passports do the trick.

Are you kidding? Last time I went to Vancouver they ran a background check on me at the border and saw that I had a traffic accident from 1996. They asked me about it. I explained it. Welcome to Vancouver. It took less than 45 mins. Technology these days is amazing.

Before you say that's different.

It's the same process. We are talking about a temporary 7 day visa here not a permanent one like my wife has for the U.S. already.

As a matter of fact the rude lady said that my wife could go to the Canadian consulate on monday and get a Canadian visa and we could fly ahead and get on the cruise so I know that this is possible. The Canadian consulate was closed on Sat. and Sun.

Are you kidding? Last time I went to Vancouver they ran a background check on me at the border and saw that I had a traffic accident from 1996. They asked me about it. I explained it. Welcome to Vancouver. It took less than 45 mins. Technology these days is amazing.

I thought you said "you" were an american citizen. You must have missed my edit to my last post. It would have taken 10-15 days to process for your Mexican wife. As I stated in that same post that you quoted we do have the resources with the U.S. to research information needed, which is why as a U.S. citizen only a passport is required.

I thought you said "you" were an american citizen. You must have missed my edit to my last post. It would have taken 10-15 days to process for your Mexican wife. As I stated in that same post that you quoted we do have the resources with the U.S. to research information needed, which is why as a U.S. citizen only a passport is required.

Yes, i am an American, but no you are wrong. Perhaps you missed my last edit too.

Ok, I see your edit now. That processing time is because there are so many in line ahead of you. If they had representation on Sat. they could process the temp visa as quickly as they would like if a person was willing to pay the inflated fee. This is what the NCL rep told me in person. We chose to go to Las Vegas instead. i see where it says "estimated processing time".

Yes, i am an American, but no you are wrong. Perhaps you missed my last edit too.

This is what the NCL rep told me in person. We chose to go to Las Vegas instead. i see where it says "estimated processing time".

As a matter of fact the rude lady said that my wife could go to the Canadian consulate on monday and get a Canadian visa and we could fly ahead and get on the cruise so I know that this is possible. The Canadian consulate was closed on Sat. and Sun.

No I'm sorry I cannot agree with the fact that I am wrong because I am getting my information from the "Canadian Embassy for Mexico" in writing, and you are getting your information from "the rude lady with NCL". Again you are relying on NCL to give you immigration information. Have you not learned anything? NCL is NOT immigration and therefore does not have all the answers.

I'm glad you enjoyed your vacation in Las Vegas.

The Canadian immigration website is showing 30 days processing times for visa offices in the U.S. with the following note:

"Notice: Due to a new computer system being installed in all U.S. offices, applications are taking longer than usual to process. You should apply at least three months before you plan to travel."

(Emphasis theirs.)

I have read every post in this thread and in fact was one of the first to post a reply, which as it turns out, puts me firmly in the majority as far as opinions. I have to say, I feel even more strongly than I did before that the OP is dead wrong. His failure to accept responsibility continues despite the comments here and he has even posted on at least one other Star thread trying to stir up hard feelings toward NCL.

I have never sailed NCL but I am booked on the Star in January, which is why this thread caught my eye. I have sailed Carnival the past 4 years and actually had a Carnival cruise and an NCL cruise booked. I had to decide which one to keep and after reading through this thread I decided to cancel the Carnival cruise & stick with the NCL Star! The people who have responded here seem like the kind of people I would enjoy cruising with so I feel pretty good about trying NCL.

Thanks, mwh27, for helping me make my decision.

No I'm sorry I cannot agree with the fact that I am wrong because I am getting my information from the "Canadian Embassy for Mexico" in writing, and you are getting your information from "the rude lady with NCL". Again you are relying on NCL to give you immigration information. Have you not learned anything? NCL is NOT immigration and therefore does not have all the answers.

I'm glad you enjoyed your vacation in Las Vegas.

I also have the document that the rude NCL lady gave me. With the Canadian consulate phone number on it that says call back on Monday. Perhaps you are right. Maybe the rude lady was lying and I would have stayed in Seattle until Monday only to find out that the processing time was longer then she said. Just another reason for me to be angry, imo.

I have read every post in this thread and in fact was one of the first to post a reply, which as it turns out, puts me firmly in the majority as far as opinions. I have to say, I feel even more strongly than I did before that the OP is dead wrong. His failure to accept responsibility continues despite the comments here and he has even posted on at least one other Star thread trying to stir up hard feelings toward NCL.

I have never sailed NCL but I am booked on the Star in January, which is why this thread caught my eye. I have sailed Carnival the past 4 years and actually had a Carnival cruise and an NCL cruise booked. I had to decide which one to keep and after reading through this thread I decided to cancel the Carnival cruise & stick with the NCL Star! The people who have responded here seem like the kind of people I would enjoy cruising with so I feel pretty good about trying NCL.

Enjoy your cruise on the Star, we love ours in Feb.

1) Wrong. I don't know how it is at your airport, but I assure you that when I go to the airport here in Vallarta they check all necessary documents before allowing me/and or my wife to board the plane.

Do you really believe that they just let my wife get on the plane without a U.S. visa and then get turned away at immigration in Houston where I normally make my connection for Kansas City? You are very wrong.

Actually, I've flown several hundred thousand miles, around the world (literally) and have NEVER found an airline which concerned itself with my right to enter the country of my destination. They are ONLY concerned that the name / photo on my identification matches that which is on my boarding pass. This is not speculation, conjecture, or wishful thinking. It is simply experience.

This makes #2 a moot point.

3) Assuming you are correct about the reason they want my passport info, imagine if they used that info for multiple purposes and one of those purposes was to notify the passenger that they will be needing a visa for one of the ports of call. They don't. The onus for checking that falls to the passenger. Period.

4) That's pretty sad. I wouldn't want to be your partner. I believe vacations are about spending time with loved ones and I would rather be with my wife in Vegas and miss the cruise altogether then go without her.

Many people vacation separately from their partners. I have 4 weeks entitlement, he only has 3. So either I'm away for a week alone, or I sit at home twiddling my thumbs for a week.

As for your point #4, it is very clear that you made a CHOICE not to board, and therefore you have no claim against the cruiseline for your failure to take the cruise.

I don't know why people think it's so difficult to take care of the customer. That's what I do. i take care of the customer/tourist. Are you saying that if I showed up there without the requisite paperwork, you would let me stay illegally, anyway?

The reason NCL can't pay a Cdn consulate rep 'extra money', is that the Canadian Consulate is not for sale, or for rent.

Dear image.php?u=123345&dateline=1148418953 sjbdtz,

Please stop. You're embarrassing yourself now. No one is going to believe that Puerto Vallarta has the only airport in the world that checks to make sure you have the proper documents for your destination.

Do you really believe that any airline in Vallarta would let my Mexican wife, with only a Mexican passport, board a plane bound for the U.S. without a U.S. visa? LOL

For the record, I would still choose NCL over Carnival.

But, once again, thanks for playing.

No one is going to believe that Puerto Vallarta has the only airport in the world that checks to make sure you have the proper documents for your destination.

Actually you sort of answered you own statement here. When I travel, for example, to the U.S. The one who is interested in my official paperwork and my customs declaration form is the immigration security person (at the airport) at the check in after I go to the airlines desk. The only thing the person at the airlines desk is interested in is my ID to prove that I am the person to which the ticket is registered.

Actually you sort of answered you own statement here. When I travel, for example, to the U.S. The one who is interested in my official paperwork and my customs declaration form is the immigration security person (at the airport) at the check in after I go to the airlines desk. The only thing the person at the airlines desk is interested in is my ID to prove that I am the person to which the ticket is registered.

Ok, but, you haven't gotten on the plane yet have you? They aren't going to let you fly to the U.S. and then just send you back because you don't have your proper documents. They are going to say you need the proper documents before they let you board the plane in the first place.

In Vallarta the people at the check in desk make sure you have the proper documents. Of course when you arrive to your destination they check your documents again.

"Check in" being the key words in your post.

When I fly back from Kansas City to Mexico the lady at the check in line checks to make sure I have a U.S. passport because Mexico now requires a U.S. citizen to have one. I am 100% positive that I am not getting on that plane bound for Mexico if i do not have a U.S. passport on me.

The airline does not try to keep this info from me and let me board the plane anyways even though they know i will just be sent home. To say these things is absurd.

Dear image.php?u=123345&dateline=1148418953 sjbdtz,

Please stop. You're embarrassing yourself now. No one is going to believe that Puerto Vallarta has the only airport in the world that checks to make sure you have the proper documents for your destination.

Do you really believe that any airline in Vallarta would let my Mexican wife, with only a Mexican passport, board a plane bound for the U.S. without a U.S. visa? LOL

Ok, but, you haven't gotten on the plane yet have you? They aren't going to let you fly to the U.S. and then just send you back because you don't have your proper documents. They are going to say you need the proper documents before they let you board the plane in the first place.

In Vallarta the people at the check in desk make sure you have the proper documents. Of course when you arrive to your destination they check your documents again.

"Check in" being the key words in your post.

When I travel to the US from Canada, US Immigration is done at the Toronto airport.

When I travel from Toronto to London (UK), Immigration is done IN LONDON.

The airline check-in desk has no interest whatsoever in whether my visas, or immunizations, or other permissions in London are complete, up to date, or accurate.

They ONLY care that my ID is current, and that it is mine.

I CAN fly from Toronto to London, and get there and be refused entry into the country.

So, I refer you again to my original posts, which remain accurate.

Archived