Here at Last

jimzgoldfinch

Hi,

Getting very excited, off to the Baltics on the Eclipse tomorrow.

I have been following the various threads since I booked last July. From my point of view, three topics have dominated and have produced such diverse opinions.

What am I referring to! Dress code, Drinks packages and Gratuities.

Dress Code – I have never worn a Dinner Suit and whilst I was working I never wanted to wear a shirt & tie whilst on holiday. However, as I am now retired my views have changed on shirts & ties as I no longer need to wear them. To cut a long story short, I bought a Dinner Suit, white shirts & bow tie to wear on formal nights. My wife will have the opportunity to wear her posh frocks.

We will be dressed smart casual other nights – will wear jeans if appropriate in MDR.

Drinks packages – Will pay as we go. We plan to be off the ship whenever possible, only 5 days at sea out of 14. I do not think that the Alcohol packages are worth it. You really need to drink a lot to get your monies worth. The cost of the premium alcohol package is around £1,080 ($1740).

When I mention to my friends that I'll be spending £80 per day on drink (inc tea, coffee & water), they think I'm mad. In any event, I still think we'll spend a lot and will be lucky to get change out of £700

Gratuities - We have select dining and have pre-paid our gratuities. Service charge is included in bar prices. We expect to get good service at all times so do not feel obliged to tip in advance or give any more tips. However, we are keeping an open mind and will tip extra if we feel that it is warranted.

The bottom line is that we here to enjoy ourselves.

Jim

Happy Cruising Jim

I am sure with the attitude you obviously have, you are going to have a great time

Do tell us how it all went when you come back as we will be boarding in 10 weeks. I will be interested to hear who the offficers and captains club rep are and whether they are likely to be onboard at the end of August

Thanks and enjoy!!

Happy Cruising Jim

I am sure with the attitude you obviously have, you are going to have a great time

Do tell us how it all went when you come back as we will be boarding in 10 weeks. I will be interested to hear who the offficers and captains club rep are and whether they are likely to be onboard at the end of August

Thanks and enjoy!!

We are sailing with u tomorrow Jim. Trying to get all the packing finished and am madly crossing everything off my list. Shame that the weather forecast is not looking too promising. We've decided to do the premium alcohol package. My husband will more than get his monies worth. I'm on the cusp but think I will break even. The drinks on board are very expensive and I think we only need to have about 5 a day to make it work. It will be interesting to see if this is the right decision for us. We have a $700 OBC to use up so that helps!! See u on board. Susie

We have gone for Premium packages if nothing else it just drew the line under our holiday budget and I suspect we will be around even if the weather stays warm into September

Looking forward to seeing you all tomorrow! Packing done - AND it all went in! Also getting excited about the whole thing - can't wait to explore the ship but will be doing our own thing at all the ports (apart from St. Petersburg, where we've booked a private 2-day tour with another couple). We'll dress appropriately, and eat and drink as much as we need. Life's great, innit!:):):)

Archived