Am I expecting an answer from my TA to quickly?

dvg1027

She is on FB and every day this week she talks about going to work, and the rest of the time she is at the beach so I know there is no emergency.

and if she has time to play on FB - then she certainly has time to answer you

Our bricks and mortar TA is losing our business after this cruise. It took 3 weeks, 3 emails, and 2 phone messages to get a fairly minor but aggravating situation ironed out with HAL. If I was able to manage my own booking, I could have had it wrapped up in two days.

Our practice has been to book with the cruise line, then transfer to a TA primarily to do our part for the local economy. The on board "gifts" we receive from the agency are nice, but not good enough to keep our business. We won't be transferring our 2012 booking.

She is on FB and every day this week she talks about going to work, and the rest of the time she is at the beach so I know there is no emergency.

:confused: WHAT?

She has time for Facebook and the beach but no time to get you quotes and book your cruise?

And you wonder if you're getting good service?

Huh?? :confused: :rolleyes:

We've dealt with the same TA since the 1980s. She works for a brick & mortar which has been doing business with HAL since 1947. I call her, tell her what we want, she's back in touch in less than 15 minutes when we are booking.

That same level of service is repeated each time I call. For example, instead of handling the set-up for the M & G aboard Veendam myself, she took care of it. Less than 20 minutes after I spoke to her, someone in Seattle had emailed me with the details & confirmation of our cruisecritic M & G.

She's now working on accommodations for our son who is Autistic & will make a special trip into the office this weekend to pick up a form and deliver it to us, so she can fax it to Seattle first thing Monday morning.

We've come to expect this level of service, and the OP should expect it too. After all, cruises are not cheap. Deal with an agency who delivers top-notch service, whether it's a traditional brick & mortar or online. Best wishes for finding a TA who treats you as a valued client.

I also agree. I week is WAY TOO LONG!!! If I call/email in the morning, I expect a response by that evening, the following morning the latest. As mentioned above, if this is the service you are getting before you even book, what can you expect after booking?

For my upcoming cruise I used an online agency and couldn't be happier. I did my research the best I could and so far so good!!!

Good luck.

I had a friend who had to leave a ship with his wife in Valdez, Alaska. He called his travel agent. In 15 minutes he had a call back stating that she booked the last two seats Valdez to Anchorage, and the Anchorage to Minnesota and then next leg home arriving at 9AM the next day.

Now that is one fast TA.

I once had a TA that I called to let her know that I missed my plane and would be one day late into Copenhagen. She called and cancelled both my hotel nights. When I arrived they had no reservation for us, but the lady found one. Don’t use that TA anymore.

I once had a TA that I told I would pay $100 more for the same booking I was looking for that I had. He couldn’t find the room on the ship and couldn’t do it for $100 more. I was willing to pay the extra $100 just to keep the business local. He was also one that never returned my calls. Don’t use him anymore.

When you find a good TA hold on to them. Not sure if good outnumber the bad.

My TA for the past 8 years is responsive and always has a backup if she is out. I hear back the same day and get an invoice by e-mail in 48 hours.

If the T/A can't get back to you in a timely manner with pricing ... imagine the nightmare if you needed her assistance once you booked with her. HAL won't talk about reservations specifics with those who're using a T/A.

No, I don't think you're expecting too much. Unless her usual pricing and service blow all the competition out of the water ... perhaps it's time to move on to someone who treasures your business.

I agree. She should have gotten back to you within 24 hours with the info you requested. I'd recommend that you get a different TA. If you can't get answers when you're booking a cruise, how long will it take to get help if you need it, or to get answers once the cruise is booked? Get a new TA.

Who are some good online TA's that can help me with things like scooter rentals, etc. My parents are 89 and 90. Thanks.

Email Special Needs at Hal and ask them for the name of the agencies they recommend for scooter rentals and other cruise line helps. They'll give you a recommended Cruise Needs agency.

Hi DVG! We are neighbors! I live in the West Belmar area of Wall Township.

I really have nothing to add to everyone's sage advice, other than it's time for a new TA. I have used the same TA for the last few cruises, brick and mortar, but a huge and easily recognizable name. My TA always has an answer for me within an hour and, if he doesn't, he calls or emails to tell me he will have it for me in a few hours or a day. He was recently promoted to regional manager and handed me over to another person in the agency, but told me he is always available if I have a problem. Now, my upcoming HAL cruise was booked with a touring company because my sister said it was the best price (actually, it is), but the service is AWFUL. I never speak to the same person twice and they make mistakes that scare me. My sister needs a handicapped room and, after answer 50 questions about her handicap, and a threat to kick her out of the room is she in mutual they gave her the room, with a cabin next to hers for me. After all that, when I got the reservations, they had put me in the handicapped room and my sister in the regular cabin! When I called to correct the situation I was told not to worry about it; my sister and I could switch rooms after we board!!! I was adamant that she change it NOW, and she did, with reluctance. I'm still waiting for my $75.00 per cabin OBC to show up. I'll never use this company again.

FWIW: The OP reported finding another TA. That post and others referencing it were deleted, probably because the OP named the new agency in that post, and posts naming specific agencies or TA's are prohibited by the guidelines, that post was removed.

Here is the update....

Friday I was so mad at eveything I decide to try two avenues. I called an online TA and I went on line for a brick and mortar TA and found one 10 min from my house. I call the online TA got a quote asked them to put a hold on two superior verandah staterooms which they did through tomorrow night. Then I complete the form on the website of the brick and mortar TA and sent that off. Next morning the brick and mortar TA called me to ask some additional questions and to apologize for not getting back to me the night before but she was on a plane coming back from Jamaica. She told me that she would have a completed quote by the next morning. She called me this morning with a quote for the same type of room at $300 cheaper a suite than the online TA. She told me that she was traveling again tonight for 1 week to Italy but that if I had any questions or needed something else done to email her and that she checks her mail while in Italy and can handle things from there.

I then email the original TA, just to remind everyone, I sent her the first email on 6/13 asking for a quote, she emailed me 6/15 saying she was working on it. I didn't hear from her and emailed her again on 6/17 asking when I could expect the quote and as of this morning still haven't heard from her by email or phone. I even checked my work phone and email as sometimes I was contacting her through work and there was nothing.

She wrote back within 5 minutes. Here was her answer:

I am sorry that I did not get back to you – I did not think that you were in a rush – I do have your rates I should have just called you –

I didn't bother answering back but I did check my first email just to make sure I didn't say anything about not rushing and I never said a thing. I did go on the main website of the TA's agency and I found a questionairre regarding complaints that I completed. Her loss, I plan on going to Italy and Hawaii during 2012. That is two commissions she won't get.

Thanks everyone for your help and giving me a place to vent :-)

*LOL* What you just did was what I was suggesting in this post. Never mind ;)

That worked. The first post had to be removed but the second post has done the job.

Archived