Attire for cave tubing question

mitsugirly

So from reading many post on here about cave tubing...(and we already have ours scheduled with .bz)...

I read that they stop somewhere for you to change into your bathing suits. I've also read that you leave your items in the van, locked up safely, while on your cave tubing adventure.

My question is, does everyone just do the hiking in the rain forest with just their bathing suits on?:eek: No cover up or anything?

I guess I'm a little "shy" when it comes to a bathing suit and was just wondering if I'll be walking in the rain forest for however long it takes to get to the actual water to tube in just my bikini? It will just feel weird.

I thought about wearing a cover up, but then when you get to the water (I know it would get wet of course), what would you do with it? Can it be tied to the tube or something?

I'm just unsure.

Have you considered a t-shirt, an old t-shirt. Not yours of course but that one your SO has that you wouldn't mind seeing float down river afterwards.

The t-shirt could be worn in the river.

It might be hard to tie the cover-up around the tube, the tube is relatively big.

Of course you will be on vacation, thousands of miles from home, with total strangers you will never see again so you could just not give a darn.

Well, I wore my one piece by DD had her bikini on. Neither of us were uncomfortable in what we wore! Just make sure that whatever is on your feet can get wet and will stay on your feet. I kept having to ask Paul (in front of me) to please keep putting my water shoe back on!!

Snow bunny

Yea, I have water shoes for us to wear. I don't have any one piece bathing suits. Just 2 piece. I don't mind it "as much" when you are at the pool. But just walking with a bunch of strangers, in the woods/nature, with a bathing suit on is...weird to me I guess. :eek:

I am planning to wear my bathing suit (1-piece) with gym shorts that can get wet. I don't want to have to deal with potential chub-rub while hiking in a rainforest for 30 min hehe :P

I would plan to get in the tube and get soaked in anything you hike in.

Yea, I have water shoes for us to wear. I don't have any one piece bathing suits. Just 2 piece. I don't mind it "as much" when you are at the pool. But just walking with a bunch of strangers, in the woods/nature, with a bathing suit on is...weird to me I guess. :eek:

I don't think the "strangers" on the path will really be paying any attention to you. Most people are taking in the view of the country and not what anyone is wearing. My DD had a rather skimpy suit on and didn't feel weird. You will have your lifejacket on over top of your suit as it is hard to carry it and the tube at the same time so most of your front will be covered.

We did the cavetubing with .bz the 1st week of June. I am 52, DD 18 and DS 19. I didn't want to go in my suit either. Wished I had. I wore a tank top and light shorts over swimsuit. You do have to hike and before you start they make you dunk in the cool river before the trek because it is hot. It was a little uncomfortable then walking with the wet shorts on. I carried the life vest and helmet on the tube and tucked my tank top into my top strap. Wore it like that through the caves. Your bottom and feet will get wet on the river but not the top. Had Vitalano Jr and Jerson (pro Harrison) as guides. They were great.

We did the cavetubing with .bz You do have to hike and before you start they make you dunk in the cool river before the trek because it is hot.

I was aware that you start out down by the river where you end up at...so I did hear that you cross it. However, I was wondering since they have you dunk in the water to cool off prior to hiking...in the rain forest/woods + wet= bugs ??? :eek: Did they bother you at all? Did you get bitten? Just wondering if we should bring something to put on (as in some type of repellant).

I was aware that you start out down by the river where you end up at...so I did hear that you cross it. However, I was wondering since they have you dunk in the water to cool off prior to hiking...in the rain forest/woods + wet= bugs ??? :eek: Did they bother you at all? Did you get bitten? Just wondering if we should bring something to put on (as in some type of repellant).

Yes you cross the river. One crossing is very shallow, just past the last cave and some groups exit here too. The other crossing is a bit deeper but has a rope guide. Once you reach your launch point, you can dunk into the water. It's a bit chilly at first but very pleasant. After the last cave, if you don't pull out, some guides will let you free tube down to the take out point. We did not get bitten at all. Never used my cactus juice bug gel, even in Roatan:rolleyes:. But put it on before you get out of the van/bus. Wear a light T over your swim suit, if you wish. But leave all jewelry on the ship (including rings) in your cabin safe. Don't even bother wearing it. Leave your sunglasses and hats in the van or locker too. If you need glasses to see wear a strap so you won't lose them.

Archived