PAST VICTORY GUEST QUESTIONS -please help!!!

nae418

Hello Everyone:

I'm sailing on the Victory next summer with 25 friends and family, and have lots of questions, hope some of the past Victory guest can help.

1. Has anyone been to Red Hook in St. Thomas and caught a ferry to St. John? If so, how did you get to Red Hook? locals or excursion? how much did it cost? Ferry price?

2. Is there a BBQ Chicken place in St. John if you remember?

3. I heard some of the beaches in St. John charged a fee? If so, what are the names of these beaches. Also, any nice free beaches?

4. Is there a Moped Rental Shop near the St John dock?

5. Besides the beach, what else is there to see in St. John? :cool:

6. I read a review with photos from a past Victory guest (cant remember the cc member's name). However, the pictures looked like the ship docked on the odd side(starboard?) at each island, is that right? Most of us picked the even side(portside). we were hoping to view the island from our balconies. Will we be looking into the water at each island?:eek:

7. Has anyone stay in cabin # 7344 or 7342 Empress Deck? there is

a wall across the hall. Does anyone know what is there. I heard it was nothing, then heard it was a mop closet, then heard it was a ice maker and linen closet. Does anyone know?:rolleyes:

8. Zip lining - which islands offer zip lining?

9. Any sugguestion on what to do in St. Kitts? Can anyone recommend a tour company?:confused:

10. Does anyone have "Funville/Capers" that they could e-mail me or fax me? I'd love to have whatever you can send.

NAE418@YAHOO.COM or 215-590-2894.

I know this is a lot, but this will help us as we plan for our Cruise next summer. Thank you... thank you.... thank you..:D

Happy Sailing.....

Nae.....:)

I was on the Victory in December. We didn't go to St. John so I can't answer those questions. I can answer #8 and #9....we did the zip line excursion through the ship on St. Kitts since they canceled our golf excursion. The zip lining excursion was fantastic. The tour company was great and the grounds where the lines are located are historical and beautiful.

Have fun on your trip. We loved the Victory. I would take that trip again in a heartbeat.

Sorry, I'm unable to answer most of your questions, but in 2008 we went to St Kitts on the Miracle. We went to Frigate Bay Beach via Mr X's Shiggity Shack water taxi--it was nice. The water taxi itself was a nice shiny new boat. We went during slow season, so the driver let us (the 3 in my party and a family from British Columbia, Canada) decide when we wanted to return. He sat patiently at the dock all day.

The Shiggity Shack snack bar was nice too. We are from New Jersey, and surprisingly their bartender was a slightly older than me woman from Massachusetts who had resided there for something like 9 years. My friend who went with us said her Pina Colada there was the best that she ever had!

Beach was nice nice and uncrowded, but it is a little rocky when first stepping into the water.

Here are some photos:

100_0670.jpg.4d4dd22cb6d04b58f80d14ba1f4764ca.jpg

100_0679.jpg.11c7a6e6ed76b56062f3bbf0371561ad.jpg

100_0683.jpg.a85f6738dfe064e9a583a0649b82ea61.jpg

100_0710.jpg.a550ee5ad045a75b1da3c2df69e8db52.jpg

100_0682.jpg.8696aaefdb1bbe355b16aeb4cfcf8a8f.jpg

We took a taxi over to Red Hook and caught the ferry to St. John and then another open air taxi to Trunk Bay which is not free but it only cost a couple bucks to enter. Can't remember how much the taxis and ferry were but all said and done it wasn't cheap. We were lucky enough to hitch a ride on a cruise ship excursion boat on the way back and it took us right back to the ship. They only charged us $5 a piece:D

Taxi is a set price to Red Hook of 10 bucks per person each way. You may find a non licensed person for cheaper but that is the standard price. You can look up the ferry price via google but it is between 3 to 8 bucks depending on age and such. Ferries run around every 30 minutes.

Our favorite place to eat on St. John is Woody's. Great fresh fish and burgers to die for with a strong pour on the drinks. Right in town at the ferry dock. Lots of local places to choose from but can't recall a specific bbq chicken spot.

There are scooter rental places but if you are going "up" island I would not recommend one as they don't have a lot of power.

Our favorite beach is Cinnamon Bay, about 6 bucks per person taxi ride but free entry to the beach. Simply beautiful. Trunk Bay is also nice.

We love St. John. One of our favorites.

Have not stayed in your cabins and we didn't zip line on our Victory cruise.

In St. Kitt we hired a private driver and had him take us to Cockelshell beach to Lion's place. LOVED it. He also gave us a mini tour. It was a great day.

Enjoy!

You can go to the port of call section on here and find most of the answers to your questions about each island. There is lots of info about most anything you can think of. We are going in Nov. and are very excited! Do lots of research in the port of call section.

We didn't go to St. John, but I'll answer what I can as best as possible for you:

6. I read a review with photos from a past Victory guest (cant remember the cc member's name). However, the pictures looked like the ship docked on the odd side(starboard?) at each island, is that right? Most of us picked the even side(portside). we were hoping to view the island from our balconies. Will we be looking into the water at each island?:eek:

From what I've seen it varies. However usually in St. Thomas the dock is on the starboard side of the ship. Everywhere else it's really dependent on how the pilot feels like docking the boat that day.

7. Has anyone stay in cabin # 7344 or 7342 Empress Deck? there is a wall across the hall. Does anyone know what is there. I heard it was nothing, then heard it was a mop closet, then heard it was a ice maker and linen closet. Does anyone know?:rolleyes:

It looks like a crew access area. Probably some crew cabins and storage areas. Shouldn't be something to worry about.

Unsure on that. I remember some people going on a Ziplining tour in St. Lucia, so that's probably one of them. I highly suggest doing Cosol Tours in St. Lucia however. Best tour/excursion/port experience either of us have EVER had, and that says a lot..

9. Any sugguestion on what to do in St. Kitts? Can anyone recommend a tour company?:confused:

Well, we didn't do a tour in St. Kitts...just went to the Shipwreck beach bar on South Friars Bay. Really nice relaxed atmosphere. However, we happened to stumble into our taxi driver, Tatem, right at the port. He already had another twenty-something couple looking for a nice beach so we were able to split the fare. Very nice guy that was very knowledgeable and could have taken us on a longer tour if we asked. I'd give him a shout, he was awesome:

img0920oe.jpg

10. Does anyone have "Funville/Capers" that they could e-mail me or fax me? I'd love to have whatever you can send.

No need for me to email them, here are the links:

Day 1 - San Juan - 5/8/11 Page 1

Day 1 - San Juan - 5/8/11 Page 2

Day 2 - St. Thomas - 5/9/11 Page 1

Day 2 - St. Thomas - 5/9/11 Page 2

Day 3 - Sea Day - 5/10/11 Page 1

Day 3 - Sea Day - 5/10/11 Page 2

Day 4 - Barbados - 5/11/11 Page 1

Day 4 - Barbados - 5/11/11 Page 2

Day 5 - St. Lucia - 5/12/11 Page 1

Day 5 - St. Lucia - 5/12/11 Page 2

Day 6 - St. Kitts - 5/13/11 Page 1

Day 6 - St. Kitts - 5/13/11 Page 2

Day 7 - St. Maarten - 5/14/11 Page 1

Day 7 - St. Maarten - 5/14/11 Page 2

Hope this helps. Any other questions just ask. Have a great cruise!!!

Hello Everyone:

I'm sailing on the Victory next summer with 25 friends and family, and have lots of questions, hope some of the past Victory guest can help.

1. Has anyone been to Red Hook in St. Thomas and caught a ferry to St. John? If so, how did you get to Red Hook? locals or excursion? how much did it cost? Ferry price?

2. Is there a BBQ Chicken place in St. John if you remember?

3. I heard some of the beaches in St. John charged a fee? If so, what are the names of these beaches. Also, any nice free beaches?

4. Is there a Moped Rental Shop near the St John dock?

5. Besides the beach, what else is there to see in St. John? :cool:

7. Has anyone stay in cabin # 7344 or 7342 Empress Deck? there is

a wall across the hall. Does anyone know what is there. I heard it was nothing, then heard it was a mop closet, then heard it was a ice maker and linen closet. Does anyone know?:rolleyes:

NAE418@YAHOO.COM or 215-590-2894.

I know this is a lot, but this will help us as we plan for our Cruise next summer. Thank you... thank you.... thank you..:D

Happy Sailing.....

St. Kitts - rent a car and drive to the Brimstone Fortress. It's actually pretty cool. Then head off to the southside of the island to the bars.

. However, the pictures looked like the ship docked on the odd side(starboard?) at each island, is that right? Most of us picked the even side(portside). we were hoping to view the island from our balconies. Will we be looking into the water at each island?:eek:

for a caribbean sailing you do not pick a cabin based on seeing islands. There is a lot the determines how you dock- when you arrive. when you leave -. Capt pulls in or backs in. Looks like st thomas the right side is facing the port- port side faces the island (which is the better view.

St Marten your view could be the port- or another ship. again determined by placement.

(there are not public ice machines so you do not have to worry about that.

Empress deck is the best deck.

You are across from a wall. Inside the wall is a crew access stairway that allows crew members to get from one deck to another

from St thomas to St Johns: I do not think the ferries run every 30 minutes. and you have to pay attention to the times. (locals catch one of the afternoon ones and will be super crowded.)

http://www.virginislandsthisweek.com/st_thomas/st_thomas_ferry_schedules.html

we did the tour using the cruiselines- it wasnt that much more then doing it on our own.

St. Kitts - Thenford Grey tours - cannot recommend him highly enough. If I ever go back to St. Kitts I would go with him again. Check out what everyone says about him on the Ports page and on Facebook.

When we went last March the boat mostly docked on the starboard side which made for great views off our port side balcony. I would recommend a port side room.

8. Zip lining - which islands offer zip lining? I know St. Lucia does..you need to check out the port of call boards for more info on each island.

9. Any sugguestion on what to do in St. Kitts? Can anyone recommend a tour company?:confused: Royston Island Tour! he is awesome! you see the whole island and go alot of places other tours do not, plus you get lunch and beach time at South Friars an amazing beach, al for 30 dollars which is a steal. Here is his website

http://www.roystontours.com/

:)

I have a review in my signature if you are interested, just ask me any questions..ive done this cruise twice.

Hello Everyone:

Wow! I've got some good information. I've like to thank all of you that responded. I ended up selecting Empress Deck cabin # 7362. I do want to go to Red Hook and hope we can get there and back with no issues. Thanks again.

Happy Sailing. Happy Father's Day to all the Fathers!

We did this cruise this past march, it was amazing! We ran into Troy inside the port area when you first walk in, we paid $20 pp for his tour. http://www.islandsafaritours.com/about.html

This was amazing! It was almost 4 hours, but we went all through the local towns, saw the fort ( didnt have time to stop there, just got close to ) we went through the jungle and went to Romney Manor Botanical Gardens and Caribelle Batik. They had beautiful handmade items and did a demonstration on the process. Then we went through more of the towns and learned more history and stopped at a beach. On the way back from the beach we stopped at the lookout where the Caribbean and Atlantic are the closest with out touching as well. We were able to see the monkeys and also saw a mongoose! Our guide was extremely helpful and it was a great price to really get a feel for the island.

check out http://myislandstours.shutterfly.com/ Javin is the guide. Personal tour. Lots of little extras, Great price for the experience! He rated #1 on tripadvisor .com for stuff to do in St. Kitts.

I second this....we had a wonderful day with Javin. It was a small group tour of 7 very personal and you get to see parts of st kitts that most tours don't go to.

Hello bttrflyprncss84 and agc291:

Thank you for this info. I was given some info on Royston Tours and e-mailed him, he told me he would be away during my Cruise. So, I guess I will try Javin.

Happy Sailing.

Archived