Car seats on airplanes

Mom2B&Z

I know this is a hot topic on this board, so I wanted to share this link: http://www.kidsflysafe.com/

Scroll down to the 3 minute long CBS clip, it talks about why children are safer in child restraints while on an aircraft. Some of the examples are often referred to here e.g. people cannot physically hold a child in a moving vehicle, the laws of physics don't change when you use different forms of transportation etc. The turbulence example really hit home for me, we had some bad turbulence on our last flight and DS2 slept through it all safely in his Marathon while DH and I exchanged petrified looks of fear :eek:

I know this is a hot topic on this board' date=' so I wanted to share this link: http://www.kidsflysafe.com/

Scroll down to the 3 minute long CBS clip, it talks about why children are safer in child restraints while on an aircraft. Some of the examples are often referred to here e.g. people cannot physically hold a child in a moving vehicle, the laws of physics don't change when you use different forms of transportation etc. The turbulence example really hit home for me, we had some bad turbulence on our last flight and DS2 slept through it all safely in his Marathon while DH and I exchanged petrified looks of fear :eek:[/quote']

If you are not a frequent flyer, then there is no need to purchase this restraint. At least in the US, most of the airlines will rent you one.

Something to consider with the CARES restraint: if there is an empty seat next to you, you can pull out the restraint and seat a lap child. If you're like us (with twins) and therefore can't sit together anyway, grab the 2 aisle seats and roll the dice.

On regular airlines of course it's a crap shoot... though if you talk to the desk and/or steward(ess), you might be able to reticket or get first dibs on an empty row. Everybody is happy when the baby (and mommy) are happy, right? With the open seating on Southwest, we have had decent luck at having empty seats since nobody wants to sit next to a baby.

Note: I'm making an assumption that the crew will not allow you to bring on a car seat unless the child is ticketed, but my understanding is that that is not always the case.

If you are not a frequent flyer, then there is no need to purchase this restraint. At least in the US, most of the airlines will rent you one.

Are you sure? I have never seen any carrier that rented these.

We did a couple long plane rides last year. The parents that used "car" seats had a better time than those who tried lap babies. The babies are used to their car seats. Our tip home they were requesting people to move to give a mother two seats together with her small child. Fortunately the plane was not full. And with a 10 hour flight, would like everyone to be comfortable.

Regarding the CARES harness, I am under the impression none of the major discount U.S. airlines rent them. I combed over their websites and recently sent a letter of complaint to one of them. It is ridiculous that a child not large enough for a lap restraint isn't offered a CARES harness for free. Many people pay full fare for their little ones to have their own seats. On our next trip we are taking the carseat but I'd much prefer to have my son in a cares harness for a multitude of comfort reasons. I know you can rent them from private companies for less than the selling price but if you go on more than 1 trip, it can become more cost effective to purchase it.

I've never checked with an airline myself. They can be rented on Ebay... but at about $25 including shipping each way, just doesn't seem worth it. The retail price is now $65 with free shipping on Amazon, so the 3rd trip pays for it. I'll happily check the big ole' seats in the very nice bags we bought for that purpose and seat them in the CARES harness.

And of course there is the issue of renting 'previously owned' safety gear.

We did a couple long plane rides last year. The parents that used "car" seats had a better time than those who tried lap babies. The babies are used to their car seats. Our tip home they were requesting people to move to give a mother two seats together with her small child. Fortunately the plane was not full. And with a 10 hour flight, would like everyone to be comfortable.

No doubt, which is why we aren't going to Europe any time soon. :D We were Splendor refugees last year, and got stuck with 4.5 and 5 hours flights for our replacement cruise on Miracle. NOT fun with 2 kiddies who have just started to walk. :)

Regarding the CARES harness, I am under the impression none of the major discount U.S. airlines rent them. I combed over their websites and recently sent a letter of complaint to one of them. It is ridiculous that a child not large enough for a lap restraint isn't offered a CARES harness for free. Many people pay full fare for their little ones to have their own seats. On our next trip we are taking the carseat but I'd much prefer to have my son in a cares harness for a multitude of comfort reasons. I know you can rent them from private companies for less than the selling price but if you go on more than 1 trip, it can become more cost effective to purchase it.

Well, AA used to. I just check and they only have them available for purchase.

Aviation Child Safety Device (ACSD)

The FAA-approved Aviation Child Safety Device (ACSD) provides all the protection of a traditional child safety seat by combining the use of the aircraft's lap belt and a four-point shoulder harness. Unlike typical child safety seats, the ACSD weighs less than 1 pound and fits into a 6" carrying case, making it much lighter and easier to transport.

The ACSD is approved for aircraft use only and should not be confused with other non-approved vest/harness-type devices.

For more information or to purchase the ACSD, please visit the AmericanAirlines C.R. Smith Museum® Gift Shop.* You may also email Info.crsmithmuseum@aa.com for information.

DD will be 4 next month. I have had my CARES for 2 years now and I love it. It is very portable and easy to use. I fly fairly frequently and have used it at least 5-6 times. I feel that it is worthwhile to purchase. On our flight to FL last month, we hit some turbulence that was pretty rough. I was very happy to have her CARES. I don't think that the seat belt alone would have been as secure. When she was an infant, I usually purchased a seat for her and took her car seat on the plane. I only held her in my lap once for a 1 1/2 hour flight......NEVER AGAIN. IMO it is safer, and easier to have a seat for LO.

Heck, CARES is worth the price just for the cute factor...

2931220560101336718S425x425Q85.jpg

2556900980101336718S425x425Q85.jpg

2461906970101336718S425x425Q85.jpg

And comfy too...

2710848560101336718S425x425Q85.jpg

No doubt these are far more secure than the lapbelt only. Not to mention the fight of getting a lapbelt tight enough to be somewhat secure.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived