at the risk of being pathetic !

cruzin w chris

Its understandable you are on the fence- but I think the Epic percentage wise is still a good cruise to at least consider.

I am on the fence about the Epic for December- but more so for other reasons. I am worried about bad weather in the Northeast disrupting flights.

Also, often I end up getting sick in September and December so am nervous about committing what comes to around $2,200 for the entire trip.

(Cruise + Flight + 2 nights hotel in Miami, transportation from home, airport etc... )

However, I would not go solo from NYC just to save on airfare- that to be honest was my mistake last year.

The reviews for solo travelers seem fairly positive. To me the gathering at 5:30 on the first day seems more than what was available for solos on the ship I was on (Jewel) last year. I am quite confident it would be easier sociailizng personally with other solos for me as opposed to people already in a group.

Although I go to concerts, baseball games and alumni gatherings alone sometimes I find there is always a common denomator that I can discuss things with people.

On the Jewel i felt like I was being fed to the wolves-it was like moving to a new city but with no resources I felt like

Does anyone hear avoid cruising certain months due to weather?(flying wise, not in terms of saililng)

I can totally understand your feeling on the fence. It is often hard to do something new or different.

Personally, I have found cruising to be the BEST vacation for a solo. The beautiful thing about it is that you have the ability to be alone when you want to as well as be with people when you want to. I have rarely ever sat down in a lounge, dining area or venue on a cruise when I did not find myself interacting and in conversation with fellow passengers. People just seem to be very willing to chat and become friendly with one another on a cruise.

Have you joined the Roll Call for the cruise you want to go on? A Feb Roll Call might not be to active yet but you never know.

The solo cabins and lounge on the Epic sound fantastic. I have been reading whatever info I could find about them recently and it does sound like the Lounge works well and offers a nice place to meet people to do things with.

As I said, I have been very fortunate with my Tablemate placements on Carnival and I have often met people with whom I continued on to evening activities with. The Lounge on the Epic seems like it could work in the same way. I will probably stick with Carnival for my next cruise because I am just not sure that Freestyle is for me but I know I will price out Epic and think about it before I actually book!

HowardK - I choose not to sail out of NYC as well even though that would save me flight expense. I only avoid times of year for sailing reasons. I fly the day before and - especially during the winter months - take a look at the flight schedules for the day before that. Then I keep an eye on the forecasts and if something looks really bad I would try to get out of town earlier. I buy Travel Insurance for peace of mind due to illness etc.

It is normal to feel nervous about traveling solo. Have been on 4 solo cruisers and get nervous each time, right up to the day of the cruise. I would recommend that you go to the "Roll Call" section and find your cruise. This is a great place to talk to other people with the possibility of meeting these fellow cruisers at a meet & greet. I have a cruise in Oct, and have already been talking to over 25 people in our roll call. We are going to arrange a meet & greet. This is a private function that the ship will put on for us cruise critic users and is usually the first day at sea. I have never had any issues with meeting other people on the boat and on the excursions. the thing about solo cruising is that it gives you a lot more options and you can be as along as you want to be.

Just go ahead and take the plunge. you might enjoy it so much that you may never look back.

Enjoy.

• 5 weeks later...
with each passing day i seem to be getting a little more hesitant about doing a solo. my mind is saying just do it or you will never know but something else is saying dont waste your time you will be lonely and bored. i am already lonely and bored since the divorce lol , but i am just so up in the air about this.

Crusing solo is so much fun as you get to do whatever you want when you want. I meet people everywhere especially at trivia games. Talk to the person in line next to you. Strike up conversations. It gets easier all the time.

I agree that it gets easier. Will be on my 4th solo in Oct.

The only issue is with US customs as they have questioned why I am solo. One even asked me about not be able to find friends to go with me. It is none of their business as solo is my choice and not theres. Maybe they are just jealous.

This is a great thread and, I agree, solo is really nice. You talk when you want to, you move when you want to, you eat, drink, shower, dress, sleep, do whatever when you want to and, except for the muster drill, you are your only boss the rest of the time.

I've done it a few times and I've cruised with company a few times. I prefer solo!

I'll be on the Epic by myself (not alone) in a studio cabin, on December 17th. I'm also going away for a land vacation by myself at the end of September. There comes a point in your life where sometimes being by yourself is a luxury. :)

I wouldn't worry about what anybody else thinks. That's their problem.

Archived