at the risk of being pathetic !

cruzin w chris

hi everyone, i am so up in the air about booking and cruising solo. now that i am divorced i feel the need to take a much needed vacation. i have a strong passion for cruising but i just dont want to be viewed as pathetic by anyone because i am solo. i know people say " who cares what others think " but with this being my first solo vacation i will be looking at others and if i get those kind of looks it may scar me:D. i would much rather not go it alone but i have not had a chance to put myself back into the dating pool yet. my marriage ended as a result of a cruise ( thats a story in itself ) but i still very much want to cruise. i guess i just need to bite the bullet and just book and go, live and learn. maybe it will be fantastic, i dont know. i am the shy type at first but i loosen up nicely pretty quick when it comes to meeting others. i need encouraging words to push me over the edge though because i am very nervous about doing this. chris p.s i am 46 yrs old if that makes any difference.

I took my first solo cruise in Jan. It was a last minute decision and I have to say it was probably the most relaxing cruise I ever took. No one to report to, keep track of, make plans for etc. Here I thought the same thing you were thinking at first being the "odd guy out" and no one ot share the experience with, but I signed up for the ROLL CALL here on CC and it turned out that there were about 8-10 other solo cruisers. We all managed to put together a "solo cruiser" dinner table together and it was fun. The one thing about CC I like is you can connect with passengers before you get onto the ship and it makes it easier to meet people as well.

I also found that I did things I normally wouldnt have.

HAVE FUN !!!!!!

I've cruised 3 times with someone and 10 times solo and far prefer the solo option. I've nevr had pitying looks or if I did they didn't ven register as I was probably too busy doing what I wanted to do, when I wanted to do. I've had people tell me I'm brave and on my last one inspirational (don't know about that tho!).

I also now do land vacations on my own. I love to travel and I'm able to do it a lot. I refuse to allow the fact that I don't know someone who can do the same as me, limit my life. You're a long time dead as my grandad used to say...

Cruising is far more sociable than a solo land holiday. On cruises people will and do speak to you..you don't have to make the first move always. In the dining room you share tables with people. Sometimes you are seated with other solos, sometimes not. When I sit at the bar, other passengers or even crew will strike up conversations with you. I rarely do shore excusrsions as I loathe any kind of organised activity, but on the few occasions I have, people have always struck up conversations with me.

the way I see it, I live on my own and travel back and forth to work on my own, what's the problem with being on my own on a cruise when there is so much more to occupy me, not to mention ll the pampering and relaxation.

Honestly go forit. I was very apprehensive about my first which was 6 years ago when I was in my mid forties but I had a blast and ended up hooked on it.

I used to cruise with my daughters (single parent by choice), but they are grown and gone now. I have accomplished a lot in my life and if somebody thought I was pathetic for solo cruising, then I would think they were a little pitiful if they always had to have someone attached to them...LOL!

I am going on my 3rd solo (TA) in Oct. I LOVE cruising solo. I bring my Ipad, loaded with books, games, music, movies, and I can have my quiet time without having to entertain anybody else. I have a tendency to like MY time.

I can easily strike up a convo woth someone, but can easily escape when I can't get a word in edgewise. I'm not looking for a relationship, or a new friend. But, I have met some wonderful people, whom I consider friends now, that I have met from cruising.

Get on the Roll Call when you decide which cruise you want. You will find that after you meet people you have chatted with, that you will click with a few and will probably plan

cruises in the future. There will also be some that you may want to avoid, even after just chatting with them.

If you love cruising, then go on a cruise. The past is the past, and it's all about YOUR future. Don't hide away and cheat yourself out of a wonderful life.

thank you deb ;)

OMG....I'm sorry but what happened on your cruise that it ended your marrage.:eek: I can't imagine:confused:.

lol, i explained it once here on cc and they quickly locked it. i think all i can safely say is it was a very devastating experience and it took me a long time to get over it.

Chris, get on out there and do it!! If a "look" is the worst thing that happens to you, then you'll be just fine! :D

Three things:

1. I've not purposefully booked a cruise solo, however, when I went with my ex-husband he was sea sick the entire cruise so I virtually spent it alone. When in port, I went on excursions. I met fun people and had a great time and though I'm not shy in the least when you're with a group of people there is always someone willing to strike up a conversation. Or not. The thing is it's YOUR choice.

2. Before your cruise, take some ballroom dance lessons! Women LOVE a man who can dance, even if it's just a few steps. When on the cruise, if you ask a few ladies to dance, you will have your hands full of company! Actually, this advise goes for off the ship too. My SO & I are ballroom dancers. The women dancing always outnumber the men. Any new man coming in for lessons is a HOT commodity. Trust me on this, my friend! :D Do youself a favor and take a few dance lessons! You will not be sorry for it!

3. Have FUN. Whatever you do, have fun at it. Attitude is everything! If you are having fun on the ship, people will NOT see "solo dude cruising alone", what they will see is "dude with great attitude having super fun time" (by this I do NOT mean falling-down-drunk-time) and the next thought after that most certainly will be "how can I get in on that?"

Enjoy! and I do hope you book soon! It'll be something to look forward to!

omg me dancing :eek: wow, never even gave it a thought. i mean i have danced with my now ex but ballroom dancing, oh boy idk. need to give that a thought.:rolleyes: thanks.

Chris,

Chris

I have sailed 5 cruises solo and love it. In fact, I sailed on the Epic in April and it was great. The studio cabins are awesome. The price is a little higher but well worth it. There is a special lounge exclusive for solo passengers booked in the studio cabins. Each night, there is happy hour starting at 5:00 and NCL has a staff member there to break the ice, and will schedule group activities, which are optional.

I met a few nice people at the happy hour. The studio cabins are do sell out, depending on the sail date. I say go for it and have a great time.

I met Deb a few cruises ago and she is a lot of fun.

Hi Deb

Portia

To be honest, you will find a lot of people who will admire your ability to cruise solo, and some will be jealous. After more than 30 solo cruises, I've had more people tell me they admire my ability to just go off and travel the world solo. My married friends are jealous that I can pick up and travel without having to worry about kids and all that other stuff. Of course you'll have a few that will cluck at you and think how sorry you are not to have a man to share it with, but that's BS. Those people are probably the most jealous. I've been divorced a long time, and I never let that stop me from my goal of seeing the world. I've now visited 102 countries, and I'm not stopping anytime soon.

I haven't had a chance to read through the entries on this thread.

So hopefully I am not repeating..

anyway, it is not pathetic in my opinion to travel alone, especially if you do not have a spouse or significant other.

It is my understanding that a good many people do actually travel SOLO and love it!

Just think of some of the positive possibilities:

firstly, ya don't have to share your stateroom bathroom, especially the toilet. LOL

2-It is so FREE-ING. There is such freedom to be had in traveling solo.

I've been on 3 cruises with other people and loved it, I have a passion for cruising also, but I am also craving the opportunity to cruise solo and wholeheartedly looking forward to it.

While it doesn't matter what others think unless you allow it to matter, try a different line of thinking. You are there to please yourself. You are there for YOU to have a good time. You are there to enjoy all a cruise has to offer.

Maybe some questions to ask yourself might be:

1. How do I make this fun for me?

2. What kinds of things do I enjoy?

3. What is my favorite place for sail-away?

4. Does it matter if I eat alone or should I request a table with others?

5. Do I want to meet people or am I there for solitude, peace and quiet where I can find it?

6. Do I want to party and dance, drink and act wild?

7. Do I want to relax, rest, recharge and take it easy?

8. Do I want to go sightseeing and enjoy seeing new things?

9. What matters most to me when I go on vacation?

10. Affirmation: I deserve to have fun and I intend on making it the best time ever.

Hopefully, this helps!!

Happy Cruising,

Cruisin' Susan

Chris,

Chris

I have sailed 5 cruises solo and love it. In fact, I sailed on the Epic in April and it was great. The studio cabins are awesome. The price is a little higher but well worth it. There is a special lounge exclusive for solo passengers booked in the studio cabins. Each night, there is happy hour starting at 5:00 and NCL has a staff member there to break the ice, and will schedule group activities, which are optional.

I met a few nice people at the happy hour. The studio cabins are do sell out, depending on the sail date. I say go for it and have a great time.

I met Deb a few cruises ago and she is a lot of fun.

Hi Deb

Portia

I can't agree more.....cruising solo on the Epic is the way to go!!

I've not cruised solo (but I will this Autumn) however I've been around the world and back again solo and loved every minute of it. Honestly as long as you're there to enjoy the sights, sounds, relaxation and activities, I highly doubt you'll be vaguely interested in what anyone else is thinking about you.

Have a wonderful time! :D

I'll see about that this Sunday! ;)

RollTide - I sure hope you will post back with a review!! This ship really intrigues me!!!

Chris-

As others have stated cruising solo is an AMAZING experience!! It is so the opposite of pathetic!

I am single parent, 44 y.o female. I did not start cruising until after my divorce in 2002 and I have cruised as a solo adult with my kids - which means I do a LOT of stuff alone. I have also cruised with a BF many years ago and solo as well. I must say that I am so looking forward to my next cruise which should be another solo. Going solo have been the best and most relaxing trips I have ever taken.

In my experience cruisers are among the friendliest vacationers. If you are feeling like you want to chat with people and have some company it is very easy to go and sit in a lounge, bar, social area and start up a conversation with someone. Usually simply smiling and asking if they are enjoying their cruise opens up a whole conversation that can go in many different directions.

One of the things I love to do when I cruise is READ the activities bulletin (on Carnival it is FunTimes for example). I even bring along a highlighter pen and mark the things that seem interesting to me.....even if it is something I would not normally do "at home". I carry it with me and check my notes. I don't do many of the things I marked BUT I know I had the opportunity and maybe chose to do something else instead and this is very empowering!

So far I have stuck with Carnival because I have had wonderful experiences and always met other people like myself and had good match-ups in the MDR for dinner. I also really like the type of evening entertainment - love the Comedy Club and the Piano Bar for example. However, I am really interested in hearing about other ships/lines and solo experiences as I am hoping to book a solo in January, which is why I stopped by this board!! CC is such a GREAT place for info!!

I agree with a lot of what the other posters have said. I went on a cruise for the first time by myself in January (it was a 33rd birthday gift to myself). I will admit there were a few moments of loneliness, but my for the most part it was the most relaxing trip I have ever had (and part of me is not as exciting about traveling with 6 family members soon, as I am about going solo again in February).

Some things that I personally found was that I had to many days at sea towards the beginning, so lounging by the pool I met some people, but it was much easier to find some people to hang out with (which I know a lot of solos are not looking for) on the excursions. And I did do a lot of the activities that I might have passed doing on previous trips when I had to coordinate with a lot of others.

I was on the Epic, which was great because of the studio lounge, but also a little more challenging because when I met other people and we would try to meet up it is a little more difficult because of the free-style nature of the entertainment - so you might have a late show one night when someone else has another show, etc.

With that in mind, for my next trip, I am taking a cruise that has 4 ports instead of 3 and the sea days are more towards the end of the trip. Also, I am trying a RC ship, because I thought I might like the fixed seating more. I figure, as others have said, if I am with people that make me feel uncomfortable, I can ask the ship to move me or I can go eat at the buffet or specialty restaurants.

The best part for me, was I actually came home from my trip relaxed - I had time to just read by the pool, and if I was tired I could nap and since I was just looking for one pool chair in the shade I didn't need to set an alarm to meet people for breakfast. With my family, who I love and always have fun with, it is always running from one activity to another and having to schedule in 3 women showering and primping before dinner.

RollTide - I sure hope you will post back with a review!! This ship really intrigues me!!!

Chris-

As others have stated cruising solo is an AMAZING experience!! It is so the opposite of pathetic!

I am single parent, 44 y.o female. I did not start cruising until after my divorce in 2002 and I have cruised as a solo adult with my kids - which means I do a LOT of stuff alone. I have also cruised with a BF many years ago and solo as well. I must say that I am so looking forward to my next cruise which should be another solo. Going solo have been the best and most relaxing trips I have ever taken.

In my experience cruisers are among the friendliest vacationers. If you are feeling like you want to chat with people and have some company it is very easy to go and sit in a lounge, bar, social area and start up a conversation with someone. Usually simply smiling and asking if they are enjoying their cruise opens up a whole conversation that can go in many different directions.

One of the things I love to do when I cruise is READ the activities bulletin (on Carnival it is FunTimes for example). I even bring along a highlighter pen and mark the things that seem interesting to me.....even if it is something I would not normally do "at home". I carry it with me and check my notes. I don't do many of the things I marked BUT I know I had the opportunity and maybe chose to do something else instead and this is very empowering!

So far I have stuck with Carnival because I have had wonderful experiences and always met other people like myself and had good match-ups in the MDR for dinner. I also really like the type of evening entertainment - love the Comedy Club and the Piano Bar for example. However, I am really interested in hearing about other ships/lines and solo experiences as I am hoping to book a solo in January, which is why I stopped by this board!! CC is such a GREAT place for info!!

hi liza, thanks for your input. i was a carnival exclusive guy but i am now switching ( at least for 1 cruise ) to the ncl epic feb 4 2012 ( although not booked yet, shortly ) because i have read many great things about the ship especially the studio cabins. i hope to meet some great people and possibly make some new friends and who knows maybe that " special someone " ( stranger things have happened ) i wont be out looking for that but hey you never know.

Hi! I went on my first solo cruise this past March on the Allure. Most of the reactions I received from people were "good for you". I have been on a few cruises before with "singles" groups and still trying to decide which way I want to cruise next year. One thing I did enjoy being by myself, was that I could come and go as I please and do whatever I wanted. I can't even imagine what you are going through, but I hope that you are able to go and enjoy the experience. What did help also, was that I found a cruise that looked good to me and had an active roll call. I did meet some very nice people through that as well.

Hi! I went on my first solo cruise this past March on the Allure. Most of the reactions I received from people were "good for you". I have been on a few cruises before with "singles" groups and still trying to decide which way I want to cruise next year. One thing I did enjoy being by myself, was that I could come and go as I please and do whatever I wanted. I can't even imagine what you are going through, but I hope that you are able to go and enjoy the experience. What did help also, was that I found a cruise that looked good to me and had an active roll call. I did meet some very nice people through that as well.

yeah as soon as i book my cruise i will get right on the roll call well ahead of sail date and start talking to people and hopefully make some friends i can hook up with a bit on board.

hi liza, thanks for your input. i was a carnival exclusive guy but i am now switching ( at least for 1 cruise ) to the ncl epic feb 4 2012 ( although not booked yet, shortly ) because i have read many great things about the ship especially the studio cabins. i hope to meet some great people and possibly make some new friends and who knows maybe that " special someone " ( stranger things have happened ) i wont be out looking for that but hey you never know.

Glad to hear that you are making a plan to go for the solo cruise! I know a few people who have sailed the Epic and they have wonderful things to say about it. I might look into this ship for my next solo BUT I have stayed away from NCL so far because I don't think Freestyle is for me.....however, my needs and wants for a vaction experience are changing as the years go by so I was planning on looking into the Epic as a possibility.

It guess its true that you never know who you will meet on any given day at any given place....... I did meet a man on one of my sailings who I dated for a while but honestly that was the LAST thing I was expecting! I was not interested in a serious relationship at that time so after a while we just went our seperate ways. But it was fun to have met on a cruise!

Yes....I agree....Roll Call can be very helpful when going solo. I had some good times with people I met on Roll Calls and it was nice to feel like I had some "friends" on the ship. But I have also sailed with very inactive Roll Calls and everything worked out just fine.

Hopefully you have a good, active Roll Call for your sailing but in the event that you don't, do not worry! You will still be OK

I am very much looking forward to the Epic in december and it seems that as time goes on the general consensus of the reviews seems to show more satisfaction as time goes on.

I wish I had gone on it last year. While the freestyle concept was good for me, I felt lost on the Jewel and think that with the ship being larger (Epic) and the solo cabins/studio that I will get off to good footing.

I felt as though on the Jewel I was out of sync from the get go compared to other cruises I was on with family members where I met many people.

• 3 weeks later...

with each passing day i seem to be getting a little more hesitant about doing a solo. my mind is saying just do it or you will never know but something else is saying dont waste your time you will be lonely and bored. i am already lonely and bored since the divorce lol , but i am just so up in the air about this.

with each passing day i seem to be getting a little more hesitant about doing a solo. my mind is saying just do it or you will never know but something else is saying dont waste your time you will be lonely and bored. i am already lonely and bored since the divorce lol , but i am just so up in the air about this.

I have been sailing solo for 8 years. I can tell you my own experiences:

(30+ solo cruises) I am never bored and if I am alone, it is because I

want to be but I am never lonely. Big difference. I am leaving for

another cruise in September (solo of course:D). Putting the term

"wasting time" in the same sentence as "solo cruising" does not

compute to me;).....it is never ever a waste of time. It is my time,

for doing whatever I want...participating in activties or just finding

a chair, taking my book, my drink and relaxing.....nothing about

the solo cruising experience is a waste of time:) It is actually

valuable time to me!.....hope you decide to give it a try!

Hi Chris,

No-one can make the final decision for you. It has to be something to decide you want/don't want to do. Personally I think you should go and give it a go as after all, what's the worst that could happen? Well aside from falling overboard, getting eaten by a shark (joking here of course :D) you could be lonely and bored. Either of which I seriously doubt will happen but even given the slightest chance you do you'll at least have taken the plunge and given it a go and you'll know it's not for you.

However, if you DO go and DO enjoy it and have a whale of time just think what you could have missed out on had you not taken that step to find out.

End of the day it's a week out of your life and ultimately the decision is yours but I would advise taking the plunge :D

Just my thoughts......

Archived