Tender time in Newport

billysive

In my previous cruises we had no tender ports so I am looking for some help.

We will be on the Caribbean Princess and our itinerary times for Newport say 9am to 6pm.

We are looking to book the behind the scenes tour at the Elms and want to do it as early as possible.

What time do you think we can reasonably assume we will be ashore?

Any insider secrets to getting off the ship before the masses?

And I have heard stories of huge lines for the tenders to return to the ship. If we have a posted departure time of 6pm - what time do you think we must be back at tender pier? If people are in line for the tender will the ship leave without you?

Thanks for any input or advice. This port is one of the main reasons for chosing this itineray so really want to maximize the time ashore that day!!

:)

The tender dock in Newport can hold up to 4 tenders at time so the cruise ship will be running multiple tenders and I believe there is sometimes a private tender available. The travel time excluding loading & unloading is 11-14 minutes depending on conditions.

A cruise ship sponsored excursion will get you on an early tender.

I believe suite passengers may go on the early tenders.

If the ship leaves at 6:00P then I would want to be inline by 5:00P. The cruise ship will not depart until all the tenders have returned. There should be sign posted on the ship or tender dock when the last scheduled tender will run to the cruise ship. The only lines I've seen in Newport can be handled by one tender.

These masses you want to avoid, are they the guests in the lower priced cabins. You certainly don't want to be seen with them after all the money you paid for this cruise :rolleyes:.

You're going to Newport just to do the behind the scenes tour at the Elms? This is a tour available to walk up guests, I believe. Are you doing Cliff Walk, touring the Breakers or other mansions, or visiting Fort Adams. The Elms is nice, but the Breakers is the best.

SBtS

The tender ride in Newport is a big longer than some of the tender ports although some of this depends on where the ship is anchored. Once you board the tender it will likely take around 15 minutes to get to the tender dock.

Keith

Thanks for the responses.

@Sailbad: We are one of those in the lower priced cabins so I hope my comment about the "masses" didn't come off as elitist. ;) Having never done a tender port I am nervous about the lines getting off and on the ship.

Most of the ship's excursions at this port seem to be in the afternoon, so hoping we may be able to get off on the early side.

Do they give out timed tickets for the tenders? How does that all work?

After the tour at the Elms we are planning to visit the Breakers and then the Cliff Walk - a busy day.

We ended up booking the 11am tour at the Elms thinking we might have trouble making it for the 10am.

Tenders are fun as you get to ride in a real Life Boat! You should get to shore more than an hour before your tour. There will be plenty of things to see and do while you wait for your excursion. Yes, Suites get off first and back on first.

Archived