Do we need rental car in Seward?

GloriaF

We will be in Seward only one night - and DH wants to take the Alaska RR rather than doing the sensible thing and picking up a rental car in Anchorage, driving to Seward and back, returning rental car. I found a great rate, but he wants to experience the train and doesn't want to drive, so we are taking the rail. It is really OK with me as I was looking forward to the RR experience also, it's just the car was a more economical and convenient form of transport.

So, my question is should we arrange a car rental in Seward after arriving on the train? We would need it only to go to Kenai Fjords National Park and the immediate Seward area. Maybe a taxi would be best. Any advice from any of you with knowledge of the area?

Are you considering a Kenai Fjords boat trip- it is my TOP recommendation there. No you don't need a car. You can get a cab to Exit Glacier, and around town there is an all day trolley, around $5 pp? Request their visitor guide, tolley map in the back. http://www.sewardak.org

With this being your first trip- the rail offers superior scenery. You won't be sorry. :)

Thank you (again) BQ! I feel better knowing the trolley is available. We do want to take the Kenai Fjords boat trip and visit Exit Glacier, so a couple of taxi rides for that. It is good to know the trolley will be good for around town. Our motel is very near to the rail depot and since we plan to travel light and our bags have wheels, we'll just walk there when we arrive and drop our bags off the next day after 9 am.

I have followed youir advice about ordering visitors guides for all the ports, and I will order the one for Seward also. In fact, it seems that you and Glacier Lady have helped plan the entire trip. A big thank you! :)

The train ride Anc-Seward is very nice. You don't need a car to get around Seward.Taxis are fast and cheap.If your staying at the Marina Motel you can walk to the boat harbor to catch your Kenai Fjords tour and there are lots of restaurants/shops in that area.From the rumor mill....I've been told the old green trolley will not be running anymore.The last few years it hasn't stayed on any schedule and I've seen soooo many people buy an all day pass and end up waiting around and then get worried about missing whatever and flag a taxi anyways,this is especially true in the evening when people are trying to get to the train depot.I've also heard that there will be 2 red trolleys running around town this year,bought by a big corporate guy.Support the locals and take a taxi.You'll love the train and Seward! :)

Thanks for the tip that Kenai Fjords is within walking distance from Marina Motel, Glacier Lady. I figured we'd arrive about 11 AM, check into the Marina and see Seward and Exit Glacier that first day. Then the next morning after we drop our bags off at the depot at 9 AM, we'll head down to the Kenai Fjords area to see the visitors center and take the boat trip. And yes, we'll take taxis, eat and sleep locally and support the Seward economy. If all Seward residents are as friendly and helpful as you've been, it should be a pleasure getting to know them.

Sounds like a great plan. A timing suggestion is doing Exit Glacier at 3pm for the free ranger lead walk,people really enjoy it. Allow 20 min travel time to the glacier, by taxi http://www.pjstaxi.com ask for Renee and tell her your from here and you'll get a free personalized tour of Seward included! :) I hope the weather is warm and sunny for you!

Thanks SO much, Glacier Lady! I already have Renee's email and phone numbers. I'll print the info out and put it with my travel books, etc., so we can call once we get to town for the taxi. Do we just get dropped off at Exit Glacier and call when we need to be picked up? We always take our time and try to see every detail -- is there a Visitor's Center at Exit Glacier? That will work perfectly, we can check in at the Marina, have lunch and walk around and make arrangements for the Kenai Fjords boat trip the next day. We'll aim to be at Exit Glacier for the Ranger led tour at 3 PM the day we arrive and have all day for the boat trip the next day, keeping in mind we must be at the RR depot by 5:30 PM.

Are Glacier Lady and Renee the same??? :) Anyway, I would have reservations in place for the Kenai fjord boat trip, since you have to be on the train that day. In season, some tours do sell out and you only have one day open for this.

I don't know Glacier Lady's name, but her email that is sometimes on the bottom of her posts is not the same. Renee is the person in charge of PJs Taxi and I do not think they are the same. I think GL is just recommending them because she knows they are reliable -- she is being helpful just as you are with recommendations and opinions of various companies for areas of Alaska. And we on this board appreciate the help from both of you! :) I know I can use all the extra "inside" info I can get. :)

Now for the Kenai Fjords boat trip reservation -- I was planning on going by the day we arrive for the trip the next morning. Do you think that is sufficient? We will be there the middle of May, so not the peak tourist season. But we definitely want to do the boat trip and do not mind making reservations in advance if it is necessary.

Archived