Sojourn Penthouse versus Veranda Suite?

wave18

Looking for advice regarding value of PH suite versus Veranda Suite on 16 day cruise of Norway fjords/Baltic. We have only been on one other cruise(HAL)where we enjoyed a Deluxe Veranda Suite with access to the Concierge Lounge. Space and special amenities are important to us...but is it worth almost twice the price? Thanks.

I'll be happy to relate our experience on SB as we have taken many HAL cruises in a Dlx Verandah Suite and this was our first SB in December. On HAL we would not sail in anything but the Dlx S suite because of the space and definetely because of the amenities. Very important to us- Neptune Concierge Lounge and all the special treatment you get in that category.

So when we took our first SB cruise on the Sojourn we thought we had to have the extra space with the larger PH suite, similar in size to the HAL Dlx S. For us it was a mistake and we will get a Verandah cabin next time and save the money. There are no extra amenities as everyone on SB gets the same wonderful treatment and service regardless of category, so space is the only consideration. In the PH the glass walls around the bed take up a lot of space and make the suite feel smaller, at least to us. It is crowded at the desk because the bedroom walls are so close when you are at the desk and or walking into the living area. I know the thought is to make the sleeping area separate, and there are drapes to make it private, but we found we would have preferred to have no bedroom glass walls and totally open space. If the PH was even larger, the separate bedroom area would have been nice (like in the HAL Penthouse), but the SB PH suites are not big enough to do this. I think if you look at the diagram you will see what I mean. So, speaking only for us, we would get the regular Verandah suite next time.

Another opinion- we were on Deck 9 and absolutely loved it. The Sky Bar is a wonderful social gathering place where there is always someone to sit and talk with if you desire. That deck also has the sun deck and is convenient to the spa, gym and Colonnade restaurant. Everyone is so friendly we loved just walking out there from our suite when we felt like socializing and met a lot of people that way. I know next time we will want to grab that Verandah suite right there on 9 rather than getting a PH on that deck. I don't know what ship you are looking at booking, so this may not apply to you, but it you are on the Sojourn, Odyssey or Quest the deck plans are the same.

Hope this has given you more info as we were in the same position as you with the same HAL experience and in retrospect feel there was no reason at all to have gotten the PH on SB. I hope you will love SB as much as we did. It is absolutely fabulous in every way- crew and staff, food, ship amenities, intimate atmosphere and friendly pax. We enjoyed HAL, but with SB you are talking about a whole different first class experience.

Verandah suite,,,large,,300sq ft..and good size bath,,with 2 sinks, and even soaking tub,,,walk in closet,sitting/dining area....king bed...take extra money and get a few excursions....as said,,no need for "concierge" designation,,,all get excellent amenities...wonderful food,great service,,best cruise and ship taken so far,,and have been on 15 or so....did same cruise 2 wks,ago,,absolutely WONDERFUL,,,you ll love it....:D

• 1 month later...

since seabourn is all inclusive, Veranda suites get you the same exact service(except for maybe free dry cleaning) as the PH.On many other lines, everything is an upgrade. On SB, you get to go where everyone else goes. We went on SB to Asia a few years ago and our friends, first timers, flashed a bunch of bills at us and said, "we're going to take care of our stewardess so we get extra special treatment." I told them, everyone gets extra special treatment. Put your money away. If you want to contribute, there is a 'ship fund' for the crew at the end that you can, if you want, make a 'donation.'

Looking for advice regarding value of PH suite versus Veranda Suite on 16 day cruise of Norway fjords/Baltic. Space and special amenities are important to us...but is it worth almost twice the price? Thanks.

IMO it's not worth double the price!...there no more amenities than you would receive staying in an Outside Suite!:D

PH has more TV sets, more room and a Keurig coffee machine. And an exercise set (mat, bands, etc) with complimentary training session from a trainer to teach you how to use it. The exercise alone would keep me away from the PH suite!!!! (Unless they trained you at the Sky Bar...)

PH has more TV sets, more room and a Keurig coffee machine. And an exercise set (mat, bands, etc) with complimentary training session from a trainer to teach you how to use it. The exercise alone would keep me away from the PH suite!!!! (Unless they trained you at the Sky Bar...)

Well, you do have to shift your glass from right hand to left hand on a regular basis in order to get even development of biceps as you lift it to your lips :D

Archived