Best time to whale watchin Juneau, independent tour, and big or small boat?

World Gallery

We really didn't have many options for tour times in Juneau because we didn't arrive there until the afternoon so I can't tell you when the best time is. However, we lost count of the whales and eagles that we saw. We used Harv & Marv's for the tour, had Steve as our tour guide and thought we hit the lottery with them. From the moment we were picked up by the bus driver, we had a ball. It was a 6 person boat and there was room in the front or back for everyone. Steve was in contact with other boats to find out the best spots for whale watching and we were amazed at how much we saw.

We just went on a whale watching tour with Captain Jay of Harv and Marvs. We saw lots of whales, sea otters and eagles. There were 4 of us on the boat and we had plenty of room. Jay was in contact with other boats and we took off when there was a whale sighting. It was one of the most memorable days on the trip.

We just got back from Alaska and went with Harv and Marv in Juneau. Our excursion was booked for 2:30PM and also included a stop at Mendenhall Glacier (awesome). Can't talk about the other vendors, but I will say that I would go back with H & M in a nano second. The boat was brand new, there were 8 people including us, and we saw many, many whales, eagles, and sea lions. H & M provided great binoculars and taught us right at the start how to spot whales...it was worth every dollar we spent.

We like the smaller boats as you’re usually not obstructed when taking photos. Makes for better shots as well being closer to the waterline to get the mountains behind your whale fluke or if you get lucky, a breach or bubble net feeding photo.

Harv N Marv's are really nice guys, I've known the Orca folks for a long time, nice people and they do a great tour as well. The other one that like is Juneau Tours I recently did one of their tours and it really well done. There are a few others but these are the one's I'd recommend.

Thanks for the recommendation of Juneau Tours. My mother has booked a tour through them for our family group of 21. I see a lot of recommendations for Harv N Marv and Orca, but I haven't seen any reviews mentioning Juneau Tours. I do know that they've been very nice on the phone and gave Mom a really good group rate. I'll be sure and post a review when I get home. :)

We had a great experience with Orca Enterprises (after Alaska Galore cancelled our tour at the last possible second - I had booked with them 6 months in advance). We were on a smaller boat of Orca's with only 4 passengers total on board. We saw lots of whales as well as sea lions and bald eagles. It was a great day. Do yourself a favor and avoid Alaska Galore like the plague.

We had a great experience with Orca Enterprises (after Alaska Galore cancelled our tour at the last possible second - I had booked with them 6 months in advance). We were on a smaller boat of Orca's with only 4 passengers total on board. We saw lots of whales as well as sea lions and bald eagles. It was a great day. Do yourself a favor and avoid Alaska Galore like the plague.

One totally canceled, and another with 4 pax??? Holy smokes. Tough times indeed.

We've just returned from RT Seattle cruise on Sapphire Princess. Whale watching with Harv and Marv was possibly the best we've had in our five whale watching trips out of Auke Bay in Juneau. We've always enjoyed the Allen Marine excursions (booked through Princess) and their larger boats are best for those who desire a smooth ride, snack bar and more comfy restroom facilities. But Harv and Marv's two small boats (6 passengers) and one recently added larger boat (12 passengers) result in a more intimate wildlife experience. They lived up to their stellar reputation--absolutely topnotch operation and personnel.

On our trip on 6/22, we first observed a humpback cow with her calf who was rolling and fin slapping then proceeded to breach and chin-slap repeatedly. Absolutely breathtaking! Then we moved to another location near where two adults and one calf were feeding, along with several groups of sea lions who were feeding and frollicking. The whales moved so close to us (approx 10 yards) we could not only hear (loudly) their exhalations but their inhalations as well! The sea lions were actually jumping over the calf's tail. Before we left that spot, while still surrounded by whales and sea lions, a virtual HERD of Dall's porpoises overran us. All this with two bald eagles calling to each other from the nearby shore and surrounded by the Chilkat Mountains and peaks of the Juneau ice field on a gorgeous sunny afternoon. Those impressions will stay with us for a long, long time!

I want one that has a heated indoor area in case I get too cold

which offers more shelter but still can see the whales??

Allen Marine (ship tour?)

Orca??

I am afraid of the little boats.

I don't get seasick (at least not yet) but I am afraid of just feeling too

cold to enjoy myself

I am a Florida "scaredy cat">>> I think my blood is "thin" from being here 25 years and I am "afraid" of being cold and miserable

I will be traveling with other Floridians

we need a whale tour that has somewhere to "go to" to get warm

thanks

Last week we went on the Best of Juneau! tour booked through HAL on the Oosterdam. A bus took us to the Mendhall Glacier for an hour visit, which was plenty of time to hike to the waterfall. Then on an Allen Marine boat whale watching. It is a large boat that had about 60 passengers. It has three levels with two restrooms. One level is completely enclosed. We saw dozens of humpbacks, including nine in one pod. Also, saw some seals playing on a buoy and many bald eagles. The rails were crowded but the view for pictures was still ok. On the way back we had a salmon bake at the Orca Point lodge. Cost was $189 and we felt like it was worth the price.

I can see some advantages to going on a smaller boat, but this excursion was good.

Ah! Can't speak for Orca's vessels but it sounds like Allen Marine will be perfect for your group. The enclosed cabin is very comfortable and the visibility out both sides of the boat is quite good. My 80-year-old mother and her best friend loved it!

I want one that has a heated indoor area in case I get too cold

which offers more shelter but still can see the whales??

Allen Marine (ship tour?)

Orca??

I am afraid of the little boats.

I don't get seasick (at least not yet) but I am afraid of just feeling too

cold to enjoy myself

I am a Florida "scaredy cat">>> I think my blood is "thin" from being here 25 years and I am "afraid" of being cold and miserable

I will be traveling with other Floridians

we need a whale tour that has somewhere to "go to" to get warm

thanks

Yup, you'll be fine with the Allen Marine trip. We also traveled with an 82 yr old who loved every minute of it. She stayed inside, while most of the rest of us went out to the open deck. The huge windows provide clear visibility. We've done the Allen Marine trip four times now, each one better than the last. Take them, or Harv and Marv, you won't be disappointed! They to the same places and communicated with each other about best locations at any given moment.

We did a tour called land and sea photo safari where we went to mendenhall glacier and whale watching, we had a professional photographer with us to give us tips for great pics and ideas to enhance photos. We spent I think about an hour maybe a little bit longer hiking to the bottom of the glacier then we went whale watching in a smaller boost. My husband though it was the best tour of the trip and I loved it. It was the best kept secret we kept saying, as they only allow a maximum of 14 people on the tour! Another passenger recommended it to us and we were so glad they did! We saw both orcas and humpbacks and the humpbacks were bubble feeding. It truly was amazing. Oh and the boat has an inside area where the windows lift for warmth and great pics as well as an outside area. Enjoy!

Archived