Canada/New England Cruise dining room dress

fl.princess

We are leaving Wed. on the Caribbean Princess on this cruise. I keep reading about "jeans" in the main dining room on non-formal nights. Do more people wear jeans or the more traditional "smart casual" dress on this cruise? The only other cruise we have been on was in Alaska and more tended to wear the the traditional "smart casual"...khakis for men, and nice slacks and sweater or blouse for women.

My take is that you're sailing in summertime -- why would you want to drag along heavy, warm jeans? It's different in Alaska, I guess, because the outside weather can be chilly; not to much for your itinerary at this time of the year. I'd wear the "traditional" smart casual warm-weather clothing and not worry about dragging along jeans.

My take is that you're sailing in summertime -- why would you want to drag along heavy, warm jeans? It's different in Alaska, I guess, because the outside weather can be chilly; not to much for your itinerary at this time of the year. I'd wear the "traditional" smart casual warm-weather clothing and not worry about dragging along jeans.

Actually the weather is quite cool (compared to my Florida weather!) in the first several ports right now and we are leaving Wednesday. I will be taking several pair of jeans for the ports. I don't plan on wearing jeans in the dining room, but I was curious if people were more casual on this cruise.

I am on that cruise right now. It has been very chilly. We have worn jackets every day. However, we have been told that this is unusually chilly. Yes, there are jeans on the ship. We have not seen jeans in the dining room. Of course, Horizon Court is very relaxed. Formal night ranged from tuxedos and long dresses to men in sports coats and women in nice pants with silky tops.

I am on that cruise right now. It has been very chilly. We have worn jackets every day. However, we have been told that this is unusually chilly. Yes, there are jeans on the ship. We have not seen jeans in the dining room. Of course, Horizon Court is very relaxed. Formal night ranged from tuxedos and long dresses to men in sports coats and women in nice pants with silky tops.

Thanks for the info! Good to know how people are dressing. I've been watching the weather and it looks like it will be chilly for us as well for the first few ports. Packing layers for the weather, with the addition of shorts for the southern ports.

The ocean north of Cape Cod is very cold, probably still in the 50s, and doesn't warm up to the 60s until after an extended heat wave. Combined with ship speed, it can be quite cool during the evening.

Like the others, I've rarely seen jeans in the dining room regardless of the itinerary. They are allowed on smart casual nights but the vast majority follow the requested dress.

Although jeans are acceptable & I always wear them on casual evenings, you'll probably only see a dozen or so each evening. In the warmer climates I only wear them on the ship since I fine them most comfortable for the restaurant & shows but I'd never consider wearing them during the day, on shore. Long pants are much to warm whether there jeans or Dockers.

It's still nice to have a choice.

While inside, onboard any ship in the evening the ship is temperature controlled. I don't believe I would dress any differently for the dining room no matter the itinerary.

Jeans are heavy to pack. There are cooler daytime climates where we pack along jeans, but they are not the same style of jean I would want to wear in the dining room. Therefore, I'd not pack extra jeans for the evenings but rather a lighter weight fabric.

Thanks for this dress advice. I'm on the same sailing as fl.princess and the weather forecast isn't very welcoming (or warm) for our cruise unfortunately. I had thought to bring lots of shorts & Capri pants in addition to one pair of jeans & a couple of nice long slacks for the dining room, but the jeans are looking like a good bet for daytime wear on our particular sailing.

Would you say that the dining rooms are chilly or are they comfortable enough for short sleeves? I tend to feel a little cool most of the time & have brought various cover ups - jacket, shawl, sweater - but would appreciate your thoughts.

Thanks so much for the help

Thanks for this dress advice. I'm on the same sailing as fl.princess and the weather forecast isn't very welcoming (or warm) for our cruise unfortunately. I had thought to bring lots of shorts & Capri pants in addition to one pair of jeans & a couple of nice long slacks for the dining room, but the jeans are looking like a good bet for daytime wear on our particular sailing.

Would you say that the dining rooms are chilly or are they comfortable enough for short sleeves? I tend to feel a little cool most of the time & have brought various cover ups - jacket, shawl, sweater - but would appreciate your thoughts.

Thanks so much for the help

I have 4 pairs of jeans packed, a couple capris and shorts for the ports. Also packed fleece jacket and then a windbreaker/rain jacket to layer over depending on the weather/rain.

I don't know how chilly the MDR is (I would like to know too), but I will be bringing (for non formal nights) - 2 pairs of slacks , 1 long sleeved top and a variety of short sleeved tops with a sweater to layer over if it's chilly.

Jeans are for excursions - not for the MDR.

I really do know that - I think I'm missing some punctuation in there though which is why it reads wrong, sorry. I would only use the jeans for daytime onboard & on excursions. For the dining room, I've got nice slacks. :)

fl.princess, I don't even own 4 pairs of jeans (that fit, unfortunately)!! I had hoped I'd be wearing Capris or shorts, but that's not looking too likely with the weather forecast for the upcoming week. I, too, am bringing a fleece jacket, Gore-Tex, hoodie, and plenty of long-sleeved shirts. It's always a crapshoot as to whether or not I've got the right clothing on a cruise - somehow, I tend to guess wrong which is why I pack too much stuff.

fl.princess, I don't even own 4 pairs of jeans (that fit, unfortunately)!! I had hoped I'd be wearing Capris or shorts, but that's not looking too likely with the weather forecast for the upcoming week. I, too, am bringing a fleece jacket, Gore-Tex, hoodie, and plenty of long-sleeved shirts. It's always a crapshoot as to whether or not I've got the right clothing on a cruise - somehow, I tend to guess wrong which is why I pack too much stuff.

Well, there is always the laundry if you need to get your jeans washed to get more wear! I'm looking forward to the cooler temps as it will be a welcome change from our 90's weather!

We were on this cruise in May. While it was very cold at some ports along the way. It had no effect on the dress in the dining rooms. We did not see a single pair of jeans in the dining room during the evening meal at any time when smart casual was indicated.

On formal nights, virtually every man had on either a tux or coat and tie while the women were dressed appropriately fo such occasions in the dining rooms.

While the Princess guidelines for smart casual and formal apply to the entire ship. The Horizon Court on all cruises always has been more casual than the dining rooms.

Well, there is always the laundry if you need to get your jeans washed to get more wear! I'm looking forward to the cooler temps as it will be a welcome change from our 90's weather!

But if I get those jeans washed, they will get even tighter & that's the last thing I need on a cruise!! Maybe I should just go out & get myself a 2nd pair...

Sorry to be the messenger, but today is the last completely sunny day forecasted until Sunday in the Boston area. That doesn't mean it will actually rain, but you probably won't get any sunburns!

It looks like you will have daytime temps of 60's and low 70's for your cruise, which is nice for tours.

Definitely have a windbreaker with a hood in case of rain. If you are from FL, you might want a lightweight fleece and some socks too!

Bring jeans, but it can be damp and humid so they can feel heavy in that kind of air. Khakis are a better choice.

Have a wonderful time!

Sorry to be the messenger, but today is the last completely sunny day forecasted until Sunday in the Boston area. That doesn't mean it will actually rain, but you probably won't get any sunburns!

It looks like you will have daytime temps of 60's and low 70's for your cruise, which is nice for tours.

Definitely have a windbreaker with a hood in case of rain. If you are from FL, you might want a lightweight fleece and some socks too!

Bring jeans, but it can be damp and humid so they can feel heavy in that kind of air. Khakis are a better choice.

Have a wonderful time!

I went on Weather.com to check out the forecast for the next 10 days & I have to agree with what you wrote. Looks like cool temps the entire sailing with showery weather in Canada. Might not get a lot of use out of those shorts & Capris waiting to go in my suitcase...

We are leaving Wed. on the Caribbean Princess on this cruise. I keep reading about "jeans" in the main dining room on non-formal nights. Do more people wear jeans or the more traditional "smart casual" dress on this cruise? The only other cruise we have been on was in Alaska and more tended to wear the the traditional "smart casual"...khakis for men, and nice slacks and sweater or blouse for women.

For all things Canada/New England cruise, go to the HAL board and do a search for posts by "sail7seas". Better yet, open a new post asking for Canada/New England advise in the title. She is a font of information. She sails this route nearly every year, and is always happy to help.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=171

I too am on the 6/22 sailing up to Canada & NE.

It is always "cruise wear" on board the ship at night -- meaning this is the time to wear the summer weight clothing, white slacks, etc. No jeans. Jeans are for days and tours. If you are flying, jeans are very heavy. Use knits instead that are more forgiving for the extra pounds you will put on during the sailing and will keep you just as warm but with a lot less weight. If you want to be casual, eat in the buffet area but not the MDR.

There are cold areas on the ship. Take along a sweater, wrap or a jacket to put over your dress, skirt or pants at night. The shows can be cool depending on where you end up sitting.

MARAPRINCE

I too am on the 6/22 sailing up to Canada & NE.

It is always "cruise wear" on board the ship at night -- meaning this is the time to wear the summer weight clothing, white slacks, etc. No jeans. Jeans are for days and tours. If you are flying, jeans are very heavy. Use knits instead that are more forgiving for the extra pounds you will put on during the sailing and will keep you just as warm but with a lot less weight. If you want to be casual, eat in the buffet area but not the MDR.

There are cold areas on the ship. Take along a sweater, wrap or a jacket to put over your dress, skirt or pants at night. The shows can be cool depending on where you end up sitting.

MARAPRINCE

I'm comfy in my jeans for day time and tours...not a problem for me.

We'll be changing for the MDR, but this is not summer weather up in Canada/NE....I keep thinking people will be dressed like the Alaska cruise we were on. Do people keep on their dinner attire then for the rest of the evening when they are out and about the ship?

Archived