The Amsterdam

Boobaby

Strange ... but now that you mention it I don't recall seeing a whole lot either. Most anything that's said about the Rotterdam will hold true for the Amsterdam as they are sister flagships and only differ in minor ways.

Well stupid me....I booked a 15 day cruise on the Amsterdam yesterday thinking she was a sister ship of the Ryndam. Are the cabins similar to those of the other ships in HAL?

Is the Amersterdam n older ship?

The Ryndam is an S class ship, kin to the Statendam, Maasdam, and Veendam.

The Amsterdam is an R class ship along with Rotterdam, Volendam, and Zaandam.

You will find them similar in feel. You always know you're on a HAL ship. At least that's been my experience. There will just be some differences in layout.

Well stupid me....I booked a 15 day cruise on the Amsterdam yesterday thinking she was a sister ship of the Ryndam. Are the cabins similar to those of the other ships in HAL?

Is the Amersterdam n older ship?

If the Amsterdam is the Rotterdam's sister ship, then I know I'm gonna have a great time in January! I loved the Rotterdam and it is still my favorite ship traveled so far.

Blue skies ...

--rita

You're right, there has not been much posted about the Amsterdam. We just got back from the 16-day cruise too. Before the trip, I posted on the Roll Call board for several months and only two couples replied. And yet the ship was booked solid with 1380 passengers. Go figure.

I have a review for the Amsterdam 01/04 21 day Antarctica. It gives some highlights under the member reviews section Amsterdam . I liked it a lot and especially loved the Pinnacle alternative dining facility !!!!! Yum !!!!!!!!

look under South America 01/04

When we were going on our cruise to Alaska last May (same cruise as you, Time2) we couldn't find much about the Amsterdam on these boards, either. I was hoping that meant no news was good news. It certainly was! What an awesome ship she is!

Time2, our cruise (RT Seattle) was simply wonderful. The best part for me was cruising Glacier Bay. We went up to the Sky Deck and stood on a bunch of stacked-up plastic deck lounge chairs (they were stacked because obviously no one was going to get too much sun in May in Alaska!) and looked out over the top of the glass - we had a perfect, unobstructed bird's-eye view of the Bay, and it was spectacular.

We had decent weather - in Juneau it was sunny by Mendenhall Glacier and raining in town. Saw lots of bald eagles that time of the year but the bears were still in hibernation. Sitka was gorgeous. Ketchikan was just OK for us but perhaps we didn't do the right things. I would love to go back to visit Victoria, B.C. again. It was really beautiful.

As for the Amsterdam... I have only been on two HAL cruises. One on the Rotterdam and one on the Amsterdam. Perhaps it was because she was our first ship (and the Rotterdam was getting ready to go into dry dock), but the Amsterdam is my favorite ship. I wish I could sail her again so I can get my Mariner tile that says Amsterdam!

Enjoy Alaska. I'm jealous!

We get more excited as the time nears for our cruise on the Amsterdam. I appreciate all of you taking the time to share with us about her and Alaska. I wish for you many spectacular cruises:)

Maybe some day we will all be on the Amsterdam together.

Doesn't the Amsterdam sail longer itineraries? If that is the case, then it would have fewer sailings per year, thus fewer passengers, than the ships doing primarily one week voyages. Also, I think the Zuiderdam, which sails one week trips in the Caribbean, probably attracts more first time cruisers. My guess would be these new passengers would have more questions than experienced travelers doing say, a 17 day trip to South America. (And probably a lot more people who would answer.

Beth

We were on the Amsterdam last April - Seattle to Hawaii and return. It is a beautiful ship and easy to get around with the three sets of elevators. It was an 18 day cruise. As someone else has mentioned it does the longer itineraries and it does not seem to be in the Caribbean. At least it isn't this year so presume it wasn't last. As there are so many ships in the Caribbean and many only 7 or 10 day itineraries it does stand to reason that there would be more postings on these.

You're right, there has not been much posted about the Amsterdam. We just got back from the 16-day cruise too. Before the trip, I posted on the Roll Call board for several months and only two couples replied. And yet the ship was booked solid with 1380 passengers. Go figure.

LOL ... I posted on the roll call about a month ago for my Hawaii/South Pacific cruise next January, and have yet to get a response. :)

Seems like the HAL roll call boards just don't generate the responses than the boards for other lines do.

Blue skies ...

--rita

So, I just read that you have not gotten a response on the Hawaii/South Pacific cruise. We are definitely considering that one, but I'd like some feed back as to your feelings on it. We would be sandwiched inbetween 2 other cruises.

LOL ... I posted on the roll call about a month ago for my Hawaii/South Pacific cruise next January, and have yet to get a response. :)

Seems like the HAL roll call boards just don't generate the responses than the boards for other lines do.

Blue skies ...

--rita

I have your thread bookmarked and look at it when I am on the board, which is not every day. We are considering going on this cruise. Friends want us to go to the Caribbean in the Fall, but we are waiting to see if they can really go. We may go ahead and at least book for your cruise and then if we decide to do the other one, we would cancel before there is a penalty. Husband says that if we do go on the long one we won't be able to go visit family and friends for Christmas and New Years since we have to be in San Diego so early in Jan. We don't have much family left to visit, but friends we always celebrate with for New Years may be upset if we don't travel to see them. Will let you know if we do book. It sure would be nice to get out of here in Jan. and I think that cruise would be better than going to FL.

Archived