Pepe's North of the Border

jeblaw

We are also going to Barrow in Sept. So far we made plane reservations but haven't yet decided on which hotel and which tour to take. What hotel and tour have you booked with? How long are you staying in Barrow?

Can't wait for you to share your Artic adventure.

We booked with NOrthern Alaska Tour Company. WE will only be in Barrow for about 12 hours, so sadly we are not spending the night this time. We are going for two reasons. Frist, a friend gave me a book after she heard we were going to Alaska, called "Tacos on the Tundra." It is about the life of Fran Tate, and after redaing the book, I just have to go meet her...thus my post about her restaruant "pepe's." Secondly, I have been in all the oceans except the Arctic, so being in Alaska, I HAD to go to the Arctic! :)

I will let you know how the trip is! How long are you going to be in Barrow?

We fly in from San Francisco to Barrow with layovers in Seattle, Anchorge, and Fairbanks on Alaska Airlines. We are spending 1 night in Barrow and then head back to Whittier for our cruise on the Princess. We are debating between staying at the Top of the World or Airport Inn. King Eider has no availability for the date we are there. We still are undecided about the tour. Maybe your experiences will help us decided.

Hey sandcake, Looks like your planning is going well. We stayed at the Top of the World last year. Older place that is conveniently located next to Pepe’s and directly across the street from the Arctic Ocean. There was a little mold smell in our room. The location made it very handy when I joined the Polar Bear Club by submerging in the ocean. Fran Tate comes out to insure you dunk completely under water. You’ll most likely never get to Barrow again. Why not? Of all the Polar Bear Clubs this is one of the few places in the world where you may actually see a polar bear. :)

Polar Bear Plunge:

http://www.alaskanewspapers.com/article.php?article=1033polar_bear_club_membership_comes_with_a_price

We went with Tundra Tours and thought it was good. They did not go to the Point where there is a better chance to see polar bears. We were told you need a 4 wheel drive vehicle to get out there and it’s no sure thing that you will see bears.

Some photos from our tour:

https://picasaweb.google.com/AlaskaTravelFun/BarrowNalukataq

Archived