Villefranche to Monaco to Eze - pls check this plan...

BWP

Hi, we're scheduled to arrive in Villefranche on the BOS on Thursday 9th July @ 10am. We'd like to attempt the bus system and see Monaco/Monte Carlo as well as Eze Village.

We'll be tendered at Villefranche; I'm not sure how long a process this will be, so it's difficult to accurately predict what time to start our journey into Monaco... I've allowed over an hour, just to be safe, and the rough plan is to:

(1)

Catch #100 bus @ 11.30, arriving in Monte Carlo @12.05. Wander around, take in a few sights, grab a quick lunch, and then....

(2)

Catch #112 bus @15.19, arriving in Eze Village @ 15.30. Have a quick walk 'round, take in the view, and then....

(3)

Catch #83 bus @16.40, arriving in Eze Bord @ 16.58, and then...

(4)

Catch #100 bus @ 17.12, arriving back in Villefranche @ 17.25.

Can someone pls check this plan for me and advise if it sounds reasonable? It gives us 3hrs+ to explore around Monaco/Monte Carlo, which I think should be sufficient... but only 1hr in Eze - hope this is enough, just really want to take in the magnificent views everyone raves about...

The BOS leaves @ 8pm, so we don't want to get back to Villefranche too late... and I should probably mention that we will be travelling with 3 small children (17mnth, 6yr & 7yr) :eek:, which could slow us down a bit.

Any alternative suggestions/feedback would be much appreciated - thanks!

I would love to hear about this plan as well. We are also 5 but kids are early teens. My understanding is that the train system is better from Villefranche to Monte Carlo and then after you need to bus it to Eze. We want to see the same places but plan to leave earlier - maybe around 10am so we catch the changing of the guard at 11:30 in Monte Carlo.

Also keep hearing about elevators that need to be used - does the bus service vs the train avoid having to use (and find) these elevators?

Where does one get the train/bus tickets also?

Any recommendations for this day are most welcome.

Just got back... We took the train to MC. One thing we didn't plan for was long lines at the station for tickets. Added 30 minutes to the trip.

While we didn't go to Eze, the views from MC were stunning, the views from the ship were stunning. Heck, the views from the train platform were stunning. You don't absolutely need to go to Eze for stunning views.

Note - and this is just me - I'd be a bit uncomfortable with a plan to get back to Villefrance at 17:30. If you try to do too much on this cruise, it's exhausting. Consider doing less, both to eliminate any worries about getting back and to relax and vacation more.

Looks fine. We did something similar with Nice instead of Monaco. You could also take the train from Eze de Bord to Villefranche instead, and it would be a bit quicker. (Also from Villefranche to Monaco) But, the bus shouldn't be problematic, we just prefer train travel if it is an option. Don't worry about only having an hour in Eze. It is nice, but really doesn't need tons of time to tour.

• 2 months later...

Your plan sounds workable as long as your ship does a good job with their tender operation. RCI, like most lines, favors their own excursions by giving them priority on the tenders. You will want to go to the appropriate lounge early and get a low number tender ticket to get ashore in time for your 11:30 bus. We would also recommend that you do not get too hung-up on a detailed schedule. You want to know all your options and then do what feels right at the time. You may well find that 3 hours in Monte Carlo is too much (DW would tell you that 3 min is too much). Also keep in mind that the #100 bus runs quite often so its just a matter of getting to a bus stop and grabbing the next bus.

Hank

Do you know how to get to the car museum in Monaco from where the ship tenders in Villefranche

Take the #100 bus as mentioned on numerous threads here and get off at Place D'Armes (along with just about everybody else) as you reach Monaco.

Car museum is in Fontvieille shopping area on your right as you get off the bus; there are escalators/steps and possibly elevators down towards the museum. It's a few years since I was there but it was well signposted from memory and well worth a visit if you are into cars, also deserted and air-conditioned.

http://www.palais.mc/monaco/palais-princier/english/museums-et-visits/private-collection-of-antique-cars/private-collection-of-antique-cars.589.html

0610160037-vi.jpg

F1 Ferrari in the collection.

Archived