Rome - Colosseum & Sistine Chapel Help

scottishgirl87

Hi all,

When in Rome in October we would like to go the Colosseum and Sistine Chapel, only. Can anyone suggest our best way of doing this?

We are cruising with NCL and despite the excursions (obviously) being a little expensive, I don't really think they suit us as we're not really interested in spending 8-9 hours in port.

As above, we just want to visit the Colosseum and Sistine Chapel and generally when in port we only spend a few hours before heading back to the ship.

Any advice, greatly appreciated!

It sounds like you would like to do it on your own. There are lots of threads on here about taking the train from port into Rome. Some even discuss which stop to take for the colosseum or the Vatican.

There is lots more to see at the Vatican museum than just the Sistine Chapel. You will be paying the same admission regardless. Check out the Vatican's website for information on what's available to check ahead what else you may like to visit. Also, it's a good idea to get tickets ahead of time and avoid the extra long lines. Here's the website link for the vatican museum and has the click on for tickets: http://mv.vatican.va/3_EN/pages/MV_Home.html

Also, with the Colosseum there's also the Forum and Palatine Hill where the tickets are included. If you want to do the Underground/Upper Levels tour you will need to reserve in advance. If you want to just tour all on your own without doing the extra levels, you can find shorter ticket lines at the Forum and Palatine Hill.

What you're talking about is certainly doable using the train and having time for a nice meal and some leisurely walking to places like Trevi Fountain and the Pantheon.

I'm not sure how familiar you are with the general setup to Rome from Civitavecchia, so forgive me for going over the basics.

The port for Rome, Civitavecchia, is about an hour from Rome itself. It is quite easy to take the train into room from the port (the station is a few blocks from the port entrance). There are many threads here on this forum that give detailed directions on how to do this. The cost for a roundtrip ticket (called BIRG) is 9 euro and it also includes an all-day free use of the metro and buses in Rome itself.

It's perfectly feasible to see just the Colosseum and the Sistine Chapel -- well, with the understanding that in order to see the Sistine Chapel you must go through a large part of the Vatican museum.

I'd suggest aiming for the Colosseum in the morning and the Sistine in the afternoon. Again, there is detailed info here on what train stops to use for both.

You should make reservations for the Vatican museum; you can do this through the official Vatican website. This saves you having to stand in the very long ticket line, but you do have to pick a time.

After doing a little reading of the info suggested above, there are many here who can answer any specific questions you might have.

Good luck with your planning. :)

Don't forget that the Vatican Museums are closed on Sunday (except the last Sunday of every month, free entrance from 9 am to 12.30 pm; the Museums close at 2 pm unless it coincides with Easter Sunday, the 29th of June (St. Peter and Paul), 25th and 26th of December (Christmas and St. Stephen). Free entrance also the 27th of September (World day of Tourism)

Thank you all, sounds like train is our best option.

To be honest, we're not interested in the Vatican at all. I'll need to speak to my boyfriend as it's him that wants to see the Colosseum and Sistine Chapel but he may change his mind on the Chapel when he realises we have to go through a large part of the Vatican museum.

I will do a search for directions, etc. Thanks! :D

Thank you all, sounds like train is our best option.

To be honest, we're not interested in the Vatican at all. I'll need to speak to my boyfriend as it's him that wants to see the Colosseum and Sistine Chapel but he may change his mind on the Chapel when he realises we have to go through a large part of the Vatican museum.

I will do a search for directions, etc. Thanks! :D

Train is defo your best option. We did it last time and it was really easy, following the Ron in Rome website advice.

The first time we visited Rome we did a ship tour - a whirl of queueing and listening to a guide, hubby got ill with the heat (and we live in the Med anyway). Second time we wandered around from a big church in the Lateran district, past the Scala Santa, visited little church San Clemente, past the Colosseum which is great to look at even just from the outside. We nipped inside the Victor Emmanuel Monument because it was a bit too hot, along to the Trevi Fountain, ate some pizza, wandered back through streets with lovely buildings and fountains, shopping, quickly visiting another lovely church Maria Del Maggiore. It sounds loads, but it was so relaxing because we were just wandering around in a route I had more or less planned but we had time to deviate a bit.

This time we are finally getting to see the Vatican museum and Sistene Chapel along with St Peters and St Peter's Square. We will then hopefully walk to the famous Piazza Navona, the Pantheon, Trevi Fountain and Spanish Steps.

I will then go home and start to plan what I will do when I next visit Rome which will happen someday!

What I am trying to say is that doing it yourself can get you to see a variety of lovely squares, buildings, churches, works of arts, fountains and cafes/ice cream/pizza stops. You can go at your own pace and as long as you go out early and plan to be back in plenty of time (plan for the unexpected and you will not miss the ship) you will have a great time in Rome.

Try reading other peoples' reviews of Rome to get and idea of what you want to see. I am a churchaholic so the place is made for me.

Well, you don't have to see the 'Vatican' (if by that you mean the huge basilica, IMOO a shame to miss it but whatever). But you would have to walk for about 20-30 minutes through the museum of the treasures they have collected over the centuries, although I guess you could walk through without looking at anything! But the Sistine Chapel is at the far side of the museum and the only access is through the museums.

I will say that it seems a bit odd to go to look at one work of art but not wanting to see any others along the way, but that's just me. To each his own. I am the least religious person you will ever find, but even I found the Vatican, including the Basilica, to be completely fascinating and breathtaking.

Archived