Do they warn you about rough seas?

Tink56

I've been on a few cruises where the captain has come on to announce that women should not wear high heels because of rough seas. I've also been on a few where they actually lock the outside access doors with police tape. But rough seas can pop up in minutes, so giving advance notice is not always possible.

I'm with the members who enjoy a rough ride.

OH has felt a little queasy in really rough weather, but what surprised us the other day was coming through the Bay of Biscay, just a slightly bumpy ride; OH was swimming in the front of ship pool, which was slopping around. He had to come out, feeling really rough.

When I went to reception for tablets, they were surprised as no-one had been for tablets for 5 days, and certainly not on that day.

I explained about the pool, and there was a knowing "AHHH...!" from along the reception desk.

Jo.

You can usually get free meclizine (generic Bonine) from the front desk on the ship, but they will only give you a day's worth. Meclizine and dimenhydrate (generic Dramamine) are not the same thing. dimenhudrate is an ingredient in many OTC sleep aids and a very similar chemial composition as what's in benadryl. Meclizine & dimenhydrate treat the symptoms that are common with motion sickness.

I think all the anti seasickness pills may make you a little sleepy.

One product not mentioned is Transderm Scope which is the patch behind the ear. I don’t recommend it because who wants to be drugged when you don’t have to be. I use Scopace which is a tablet of Scopolamine which is he same thing that is in the patch. One tablet to get through one night of a bad run in the Brainfield Strait in Antarctica was enough. Sometimes that Transderm scope can make you sick.

Meclizine, Merazine, Dramamine all work.

Seasickness can hit anyone, even one that has not had it before. Sometimes people who have been seasick before will not get sea sick again when others are.

It is difficult to predict seasick seas since it can depend on the speed of the ship, the length of the ship and the distance between the peaks of the swells. Modern cruise ships have stabilizers to help prevent the roll. In general 15 foot seas should be respected.

Announcements are made more to caution moving about the ship since it can throw you against something and you can get hurt. The Captain will have an idea of height of the seas he is approaching sometimes by communication with other ships.

It is the combination of roll and pitch that produces seasickness. When fishing it is more common when the boat stops.

I don’t take anything until I begin to get a little sick. I don’t take it prophylactiaclly.

I think if you have a choice and can lie down in a bed at a 90 deg angle to the ships longitudinal axis it helps to prevent seasickness.

In a bunk that was crossways to the ships longitudinal axis my head would slide to the top of the bed and then I would slide down to the foot as the ship rolled. If I had been in a bed parallel to the longitudinal axis of the ship, it would have thrown me out of the bunk. I really wanted to be on the bridge to take pictures, but I was afraid of getting hurt when I was in the Antarctic. When I would occasionally wake up things were sliding all over the room, but I just waited until the next morning to see the damage. The motion accidently turned my electric razor on and the battery ran down and I didn’t have a charger with me.

Sometimes people that tend to accumulate salt in their system may be more prone to seasickness. They get edema of the vestibular apparatus.

I always keep the sea bands and dramamine close by. I have also gotten the patch as well...just in case. the last few times i used it, my vision became blurry so i had to revert to the dramamine. i have had success with taking only half of one - even the non drowsy ones, and have been fine even with some little chop with the waves. This coming from someone who always has to drive, have the window open and cannot for any reason sit in the back seat. I even make myself nauseous at times when driving....so i know what it is like to be motion sick. NOT FUN...take the precautionary measures so you're entire trip isnt ruined.

Archived