Touring Southern Nova Scotia and PEI from Halifax

We are a couple of seniors considering flying from Newfoundland to Halifax, then touring southern Nova Scotia and PEI by car. We plan to take the train back to Toronto.

We would appreciate any suggestions of what we shouldn't miss.

Are one way car hires from Halifax possible. If so, we could catch the train from Moncton, rather than Halifax.

(We have previously driven around Cape Breton, PEI and New Brunswick.)

I'll let others speak to the sights to see, but to answer the other part of your question, one-way car rentals are possible, however are generally expensive, especially when dropping out-of-province (Moncton is in New Brunswick). A lot of unlimited mileage rentals have riders in them that (theoretically) prohibit cars being taken out of province. Not a problem if everything goes well; can be a problem if you have a mechanical problem, accident, or other calamity and you have to pay for the car to be towed back to its home province. All to say, you will need to research carefully - and in this instance I would recommend you book with a rental agency directly (versus Expedia or Priceline etc.) to ensure you don't inadvertently agree to a limiting condition.

Scott.

I'll let others speak to the sights to see, but to answer the other part of your question, one-way car rentals are possible, however are generally expensive, especially when dropping out-of-province (Moncton is in New Brunswick). A lot of unlimited mileage rentals have riders in them that (theoretically) prohibit cars being taken out of province. Not a problem if everything goes well; can be a problem if you have a mechanical problem, accident, or other calamity and you have to pay for the car to be towed back to its home province. All to say, you will need to research carefully - and in this instance I would recommend you book with a rental agency directly (versus Expedia or Priceline etc.) to ensure you don't inadvertently agree to a limiting condition.

Scott.

Thanks Scott for the good advice.

Our daughters had warned me of restrictive rental conditions in Newfoundland.

Last time we drove in the Maritimes, we rented the car in the US.

I noticed there is a connecting bus from the train in Moncton to PEI, so that might be an option, with car hire on PEI.

You will get more information (especially if you use the search feature) by coming to Trip Advisor.

Since you have already been to New Brunswick, it makes sense to rent and return the car in Halifax and take the train from there. That eliminates problems. You can go to PEI via ferry and return via the bridge to vary that part of your trip.

You will get more information (especially if you use the search feature) by coming to Trip Advisor.

Since you have already been to New Brunswick, it makes sense to rent and return the car in Halifax and take the train from there. That eliminates problems. You can go to PEI via ferry and return via the bridge to vary that part of your trip.

Thanks Maryann NS.

We loved touring your region, hence our return visit to discover parts we missed last time.

Teehee. Thanks for thinking of us ... :-) It has been a spectacular Dominion Day here! Fireworks are just about to start -- which is freaking out my black lab (the austere looking fellow in my avatar) to no end, but it wouldn't be Canada Day without them! Scott.

Archived