Sea Sick prevention

billys mom

Before our Boston to Bermuda cruise I stopped off at a drug store to get some motion sickness meds. I saw a package of Ginger Gum. It was in the motion sickness section and was blister packaged not unlike Dentyne chewing gum. I purchased the gum in addition to some Bonine. Our first sea day was rough and much of the ship was sea-sick. I was ok, but my wife and daughter were starting to become ill. I gave them 2 pieces each of the Ginger Gum and almost immediately, they were back to normal. Whenever anyone of us started to feel sick, we would chew some of this gum. It was spicy, in a ginger sort of way and tasted great. We never needed to take any of the Bonine. We are going on the Gem out of NY in November and will bring a fresh package of this Ginger Gum with us. Not taking any chances.

BTW...most Ginger Ales aren't made with real Ginger anymore. Just artificial and maybe natural flavorings. If you want to drink your relief, then drink some Ginger Beer, the good stuff in the bottle, that will settle a queasy stomach as well.

We swear by the 'ginger gum'. Also did ginger pills, but popped a piece of gum every now and then.....

Since the first time I got sea sick I take no chances. I have tried dramamine and bonine. Dramamine makes me sleepy, even the "non-drowsy" and bonine seems to be a depressant. It also needs to be taken several times a day. I do not find that it works quickly, so if you miss a dose and get sick, you will suffer. I usually wear the patch. The side effects others mention are bad, but not as bad as getting sick. In fact, you cannot get sick on the patch, even if you try. Ginger pills or candy will help settle the stomach, but ginger ale has so little (if any) ginger in it, that if it works, it is psycosomatic or perhaps just have something carbonated in the stomach helps.

I would love to try the bracelets, but am afraid I won't find the right pressure point and get sick.

I find having a slight buzz makes seasickness not so sever, although it gets expensive.

BC

Sea bands are the best! On my first cruise I used the patch you use behind your ears and was not feeling well at all, I took it off and put on the bands and it was smooth sailing. My second cruise we had fourteen foot waves one day and the sea bands worked while many on the ship were sick. I will wear them again in November!:p

i used the behind the ear patch for a 8 day cruise and had no side effects from the patch.

Like many have stated, I have used the wrist bands and they did work for me. I think the key for success is to place them on beofre you set sail, and wear them the entire time while on board (sea days) and make sure that when you take them off, you should place them back on before sailing. I even wore them in the pool, hot tub, and shower... but they did help me.

Lisa

Here's the skinny on "sea sickness" prevention.....

1. "Sea Bands"/"Bio Bands"/etc are COMPLETELY non-effective and offer ZERO physiological benefit for sea sickness prevention. They are COMPLETELY psychosomatic. Case closed...

2. TransDerm-Scop transdermal scopolamine patch is currently THE state of the art treatment for motion/sea sickness prevention. The patch is applied behind the ear at least 3 hours before departure and then may be changed and reapplied every 72 hours. THE best feature of the patch is it is basically a apply and forget for 72 hours with less drowsiness than OTC meds. Common side effects include dry mouth, constipation, pupil dilation, blurred vision, and unique to the patch-irritation at application site. Side effects INCREASE the longer one uses it. ALCOHOL usage magnifies side effects! MANY experience zero side effects from TransDerm-Scop usage. IF you do there are ways to help. The patch does not necessarily have to be worn continuously to work. You can try removing the patch when going to bed and place patch back on the clear patch backing. When you awake place patch back behind ear the following morning.

3. Oral medications...

OTC/non-prescription

The three favorites are meclizine(Dramamine "Less Drowsy Formula," Antivert, and Bonine), dimenhydrinate(Dramamine "Original Formula") and cyclizine(Marezine). ALL must be taken at least an hour before departure and repeated at LEAST once a day to be continually effective. ALL work equally well. ALL have the same exact side effects as does TransDerm-Scop patch except drowsiness becomes more prevalent with oral OTC drugs. There is ZERO difference in these three drugs with the likelihood of producing DROWSINESS. ZERO. ONE of the three MAY cause less side effects in each individual however. The only way to know is to try them. I see no reason to use anything other than meclizine- the oral drug of choice for treatment of vertigo/motion/sea sickness for years. YOUR dose can be individualized to minimize side effects. 25mg should always be the first dose... 1/2 tablet(12.5mg) 1 to 3 times a day thereafter may be enough for continued prevention. ALSO remember smooth seas- less drug....rough seas- increase dosage. ALSO...evening seas are usually rougher than morning seas!

Happy sailing!

I use ginger root tablets with Bonine as needed. I don't like the side effects of the patch.

But be careful with the ginger root - it can interact with some prescription drugs like blood thinners and beta blockers in some dangerous ways. If you take any prescriptions drugs, check with your doctor before taking the ginger root. Just because it is "natural" doesn't mean it is always safe!

I've taken Dramamine on cruises and also used the patch on other trips. I have had bariatric surgery and the people in the surgeon's office suggested the patch. Both have worked fine. My problem is what to do when I get back home from the cruise. The last one was a five night cruise, 15 months ago. The last two cruises I would not have a problem with the medications on the ship, but a day or two after the cruise, for maybe even a week, I am dizzy and just don't feel well. What do you do for that? Should you continue with the sea-sick medications until you feel better? I am sailing on a TransAtlantic cruise in October for 13 days. That's a lot of patches to buy. I'm afraid what might happen after being on a ship for that long.. Does anyone have any answers for this problem? Thanks.

Here's the skinny on "sea sickness" prevention.....

1. "Sea Bands"/"Bio Bands"/etc are COMPLETELY non-effective and offer ZERO physiological benefit for sea sickness prevention. They are COMPLETELY psychosomatic. Case closed...

2. TransDerm-Scop transdermal scopolamine patch is currently THE state of the art treatment for motion/sea sickness prevention. The patch is applied behind the ear at least 3 hours before departure and then may be changed and reapplied every 72 hours. THE best feature of the patch is it is basically a apply and forget for 72 hours with less drowsiness than OTC meds. Common side effects include dry mouth, constipation, pupil dilation, blurred vision, and unique to the patch-irritation at application site. Side effects INCREASE the longer one uses it. ALCOHOL usage magnifies side effects! MANY experience zero side effects from TransDerm-Scop usage. IF you do there are ways to help. The patch does not necessarily have to be worn continuously to work. You can try removing the patch when going to bed and place patch back on the clear patch backing. When you awake place patch back behind ear the following morning.

3. Oral medications...

OTC/non-prescription

The three favorites are meclizine(Dramamine "Less Drowsy Formula," Antivert, and Bonine), dimenhydrinate(Dramamine "Original Formula") and cyclizine(Marezine). ALL must be taken at least an hour before departure and repeated at LEAST once a day to be continually effective. ALL work equally well. ALL have the same exact side effects as does TransDerm-Scop patch except drowsiness becomes more prevalent with oral OTC drugs. There is ZERO difference in these three drugs with the likelihood of producing DROWSINESS. ZERO. ONE of the three MAY cause less side effects in each individual however. The only way to know is to try them. I see no reason to use anything other than meclizine- the oral drug of choice for treatment of vertigo/motion/sea sickness for years. YOUR dose can be individualized to minimize side effects. 25mg should always be the first dose... 1/2 tablet(12.5mg) 1 to 3 times a day thereafter may be enough for continued prevention. ALSO remember smooth seas- less drug....rough seas- increase dosage. ALSO...evening seas are usually rougher than morning seas!

Happy sailing!

Much of this information is not supported by facts. Several studies have shown benefits from applying pressure to the P6 pressure point which is done by the wrist bands.

Also, the different chemicals in the anti-nausea medications cause different reactions. Example - The chemical in the original formula Dramamine is known to cause drowsiness where Meclizine rarely causes that. The side effects of the patch can be blurred vision, and others as stated on the package.

It would be best to study the effects these things have on you before discounting any of them.

I've taken Dramamine on cruises and also used the patch on other trips. I have had bariatric surgery and the people in the surgeon's office suggested the patch. Both have worked fine. My problem is what to do when I get back home from the cruise. The last one was a five night cruise, 15 months ago. The last two cruises I would not have a problem with the medications on the ship, but a day or two after the cruise, for maybe even a week, I am dizzy and just don't feel well. What do you do for that? Should you continue with the sea-sick medications until you feel better? I am sailing on a TransAtlantic cruise in October for 13 days. That's a lot of patches to buy. I'm afraid what might happen after being on a ship for that long.. Does anyone have any answers for this problem? Thanks.

The dizziness after a few days on the sea is not uncommon. Some people use Bonine (Meclizine) for a few days after a cruise to counteract the effects.

Cruised out of NYC last Dec. and had very rough seas (12-18ft.) I used bonine the first two sea days and the last sea day. I took the first one 4 hours prior to sailing. It worked great and I had no side effects. I used it as needed and I would never sail without it.

What does everyone recommend to prevent seasickness? I've heard that the patch causes horrible side effects.

I have been on two cruises in the past year and don't do anything for sea sickness. I don't have a problem, but I know some people do. My Wife takes ginger, and that works for her.

Since the first time I got sea sick I take no chances. I have tried dramamine and bonine. Dramamine makes me sleepy, even the "non-drowsy" and bonine seems to be a depressant. It also needs to be taken several times a day. I do not find that it works quickly, so if you miss a dose and get sick, you will suffer. I usually wear the patch. The side effects others mention are bad, but not as bad as getting sick. In fact, you cannot get sick on the patch, even if you try. Ginger pills or candy will help settle the stomach, but ginger ale has so little (if any) ginger in it, that if it works, it is psycosomatic or perhaps just have something carbonated in the stomach helps.

I would love to try the bracelets, but am afraid I won't find the right pressure point and get sick.

I find having a slight buzz makes seasickness not so sever, although it gets expensive.

BC

Check this link for finding the P6 pressure point.

http://www.wikihow.com/Stop-Nausea-With-Acupressure -

You know it really depends, on the larger ships, like Epic, on NCCL, and Oasis class on RCCL, you really just dont get sick! but on my very first cruise, in those days, you were invited to sit at the Captains table for dinner, I was pretty green so He bought me a shot anisette (anise liquor like sambuca) and told me to stay tipsy, not drunk,when I started feeling sick! it worked.and have sworn by it ever since.;)

I find the Seabands work the best. In the past I used Bonine a lot and it did work. While talking to the pharmacist one day about bonine she recommended the Seabands. She said to give them a try as that is what she uses and it works well for her. I did give it a shot and it worked GREAT. It would work almost instantly if I started feeling a little wozzy. The pressure point works and is not bogus.

Much of this information is not supported by facts. Several studies have shown benefits from applying pressure to the P6 pressure point which is done by the wrist bands.

Also, the different chemicals in the anti-nausea medications cause different reactions. Example - The chemical in the original formula Dramamine is known to cause drowsiness where Meclizine rarely causes that. The side effects of the patch can be blurred vision, and others as stated on the package.

It would be best to study the effects these things have on you before discounting any of them.

So sorry bud but I hate to tell you....those ARE the facts... You might be correct on some OTHER subjects..but not drugs my friend. ;) You also QUOTED me, but obviously failed to read what so quoted... :confused:

I'm not gonna argue with you...

Another vote for Bonine!

It can make me a little sleepy, so I take it at around 6:00 PM starting the night before we leave. Since they are 24 hour tablets, I then take one around dinner time or just after on each at sea day.

Just to clarify, I've suffered from motion sickness all of my life... car, bus, plane, not just seasickness.

The last two cruises we sailed, I used Dramamine for that seven day cruise. It worked well. As soon as I got home, I stopped taking the pills. The next cruise we sailed, I wore the patch behind the ear. I wore it every single day. When I got home, for about two weeks, I was seasick and felt like I need to where the patches again.

Does anyone know how to stop the seasickness when you have already arrived on dry land a week ago?

hi im going on a cruise in august and knwo that my daughters aged 2 and 6 get sick as on the last cruise they did have sea sickness what do u recomend

Dramamine Chewable Formula(dimenhydrinate) is indicated for children ages 2-6!

Archived