? comparing distance from ship to Glacier Bay and Visitor's Center to Mendenhall Glac

flashdog_1

I understand that the Visitor's Center at Mendenhall is about a mile from the actual glacier. Isn't that about as close as the ship can get to the glaciers at Glacier Bay (or for that matter any of the glaciers seen on the various itineraries)? Hubbard one year seemed up close and personal, but one year kind of distant.

What I guess I'm asking, since Mendenhall may be smaller in width than the ones seen from the ship, if it's going to appear "way over yonder" too far to see?

Also, is anybody else a little scared about encountering a bear at Mendenhall? Thanks

Actually, by hiking to Nugget Falls (1.5 miles round-trip), you can get as close as 3/4 of a mile to the face of Mendenhall Glacier. :)

As for worrying about bear encounters... I stood about 10 feet away from a bear this afternoon.

deuu.jpg

Dozens of visitors had the exact same experience. That's not even the closest I've been this year. The bears of Mendenhall Valley have learned to live in close proximity to human activity. Generally, they just ignore us.

Follow a few common-sense rules - no food or drink, stay on the trails, keep your voices low and move slowly, don't directly approach them, listen to the instructions of rangers - and you will, in all likelihood, have the same sort of safe opportunity to view bears in their natural habitat that many thousands of people have at Mendenhall Glacier every year. :)

Thanks for the response and photo! When there's a baby there's a protecting mother not too far away!

I'll try to stay near others.

But my question about the distance away is does it feel like you are really far away from mendenhall?

Do the rangers give periodic tours or is it all self walking tours? I have a printout of the trails already.

Thanks for the response and photo! When there's a baby there's a protecting mother not too far away!

I'll try to stay near others.

But my question about the distance away is does it feel like you are really far away from mendenhall?

Do the rangers give periodic tours or is it all self walking tours? I have a printout of the trails already.

It is a completely different experience to view a glacier from land, vs a big cruiseship. Mendenhall is "ok" and an easy look. There are ranger programs, check the listings when you get there. It is a simple walk to the Nugget Falls trail and all the trails from the visitor center are well markes. The Trail of Time has a print out guide sheet.

Reading between the lines of your question, are you really asking "If my ship is going to Glacier Bay anyway, do I need to take the time to go to Mendenhall?" Either way, I'd say do both. The visitor center at Mendenhall is great; lots of exhibits inside and at least a couple of rangers (maybe more) are in there answering questions at various stations. The views are beautiful and it feels closer than 3/4 of a mile to me. There are some trails too, as you already know.

Glacier Bay (Margerie Glacier) is soooooo big. I mean, Mendenhall is big, but the portion you see is the lower portion. On our ship, when we were cruising to GB, a local park ranger boarded the ship and made various announcements about things we were seeing as we approached. But while at the glacier, the announcements stopped, and the ship even closed down various other activities, so that everyone could appreciate the glacier without other distractions.

So, if the question was, do I need to do both, my answer would be YES. And if I'm ever lucky enough to go back, I would certainly do both again.

Reading between the lines of your question, are you really asking "If my ship is going to Glacier Bay anyway, do I need to take the time to go to Mendenhall?" Either way, I'd say do both. The visitor center at Mendenhall is great; lots of exhibits inside and at least a couple of rangers (maybe more) are in there answering questions at various stations. The views are beautiful and it feels closer than 3/4 of a mile to me. There are some trails too, as you already know.

Glacier Bay (Margerie Glacier) is soooooo big. I mean, Mendenhall is big, but the portion you see is the lower portion. On our ship, when we were cruising to GB, a local park ranger boarded the ship and made various announcements about things we were seeing as we approached. But while at the glacier, the announcements stopped, and the ship even closed down various other activities, so that everyone could appreciate the glacier without other distractions.

So, if the question was, do I need to do both, my answer would be YES. And if I'm ever lucky enough to go back, I would certainly do both again.

Yes, we know we need to see both. I just wondered if we'd feel we were too far away to see it. Contemplated one of the raft excursions to get up close, but wondered if this southern family would freeze their butts and feet off with a couple of hours in the Mendenhall lake! So we didn't book it. We're just going to take the blue bus and take our time.

I've apparently forgotten how to put two quotes in one message, but this one is to Budget Queen whose words are here:

"It is a completely different experience to view a glacier from land, vs a big cruiseship. Mendenhall is "ok" and an easy look. There are ranger programs, check the listings when you get there. It is a simple walk to the Nugget Falls trail and all the trails from the visitor center are well markes. The Trail of Time has a print out guide sheet. "

As always you offer concise, useful information. I'd already printed out your link to the Trail of Time (thanks) and now we'll look for a ranger program when we get there. Is it like at Skagway that the presentations are only given at a certain time and a limited # of people can be in the group, so first come, first served kind of thing? Shoot, after we go to the Summit there, we can hang around the Park Service office to try to get one of their tours (not at all the same as the ones at Mendenhall)>

And BTW I've never seen a whale from a cruiseship! DD didn't want to miss dinner in the main dining room in order to do a whale watch, so we're leaving it yet again for another year.

You are not too far away to see it. 3/4 of a mile is not very far when there are no obstacles. Walk to Nugget Falls for the full view. You can actually feel it get colder as you approach the glacier. It is totally different than being on the ship and seeing a glacier. I saw an excursion on the lake and I don't think they got all that much closer but it is sometimes hard to gauge distance. I would think they need to be careful for calving. We rented a car from Rent A Wreck and liked the flexibility. It is around $50-$60 for a car for the day.

We did see many whales and dolphins from the cruise ship but from other reports I know we were lucky. Kids are funny, whale watching vs. dinner and dinner wins!

Jen in SoCal

Yes, we know we need to see both. I just wondered if we'd feel we were too far away to see it. Contemplated one of the raft excursions to get up close, but wondered if this southern family would freeze their butts and feet off with a couple of hours in the Mendenhall lake! So we didn't book it. We're just going to take the blue bus and take our time.

I've apparently forgotten how to put two quotes in one message, but this one is to Budget Queen whose words are here:

"It is a completely different experience to view a glacier from land, vs a big cruiseship. Mendenhall is "ok" and an easy look. There are ranger programs, check the listings when you get there. It is a simple walk to the Nugget Falls trail and all the trails from the visitor center are well markes. The Trail of Time has a print out guide sheet. "

As always you offer concise, useful information. I'd already printed out your link to the Trail of Time (thanks) and now we'll look for a ranger program when we get there. Is it like at Skagway that the presentations are only given at a certain time and a limited # of people can be in the group, so first come, first served kind of thing? Shoot, after we go to the Summit there, we can hang around the Park Service office to try to get one of their tours (not at all the same as the ones at Mendenhall)>

And BTW I've never seen a whale from a cruiseship! DD didn't want to miss dinner in the main dining room in order to do a whale watch, so we're leaving it yet again for another year.

I didn't go to Mendenhall this year, but in the past, I have found the ranger programs to be varied and dependent on that day's ranger's expertise. The times weren't the same every day, so just inquire what is going on when you get there.

I didn't go to Mendenhall this year, but in the past, I have found the ranger programs to be varied and dependent on that day's ranger's expertise. The times weren't the same every day, so just inquire what is going on when you get there.

We have nothing else planned for the day, so we'll just hang around until a ranger program opens up. Thanks again (and for the heads up about mosquitos this year).

Archived