Why did they take my wine?!?!

Megs321

Help me out here, this was my first cruise... I was told I could bring 1 bottle of wine, so I did. I put it in my luggage. I go to open my luggage once it's in the room and poof, it's gone. Only to find all of my clothes messed up in the bag, a dress ruined by them zipping it up with the zipper, and a piece of paper stating they confiscated my wine and I could pick it up the morning is disembarkation....So what are the rules? You have to put it in your carry-on through security and customs??? I wish they would have told me this, it was a waste of space to bring it to begin with! Oh well, let me know for my next cruise so I know please!!!!

the wine has to be in your carry-on!!! Sorry you didn't know that, it would have upset me too! They scan your carry on bags when you are going thru security. A pain really, especially if you are flying and can't bring it in carryon onto a plane...gotta do the bit switcheroo!

Rules are you can bring the wine but it must be in your carry on luggage. Any in your checked bags is subject to confiscation. Don't ask me why that makes a difference. Wine is wine to me. Maybe they do it so that you can't claim the 2 bottles you are carrying on is all that you have when you really have 2 more in your checked luggage.

Help me out here, this was my first cruise... I was told I could bring 1 bottle of wine, so I did. I put it in my luggage. I go to open my luggage once it's in the room and poof, it's gone. Only to find all of my clothes messed up in the bag, a dress ruined by them zipping it up with the zipper, and a piece of paper stating they confiscated my wine and I could pick it up the morning is disembarkation....So what are the rules? You have to put it in your carry-on through security and customs??? I wish they would have told me this, it was a waste of space to bring it to begin with! Oh well, let me know for my next cruise so I know please!!!!

From Carnival's FAQ (included in your cruise e-documents):

Guests are prohibited from bringing alcoholic beverages on board. However, at the beginning of the cruise during embarkation day, guests (21 years of age and older) may bring on board one bottle (750ml) of wine or champagne, per person, only in their carry-on luggage. A $10 corkage fee per bottle will be charged should you wish to consume this wine in the main dining room; $14 corkage fee per bottle in the steakhouse. (A corkage fee is a charge exacted at a restaurant for every bottle of liquor served that was not bought on the premises)

Sorry it happended to you. But they did tell you.

you put it in your luggage,

Yes, you have to carry it on with you:( I don't see what the big difference is unless they assume you did take a bottle on with you in your carry on and thought you were trying to sneak another bottle of wine. Just next time put it in your carry on!!

Classic case of Read the rules and get an Education.

Dont read them and get an Experience.

Carry on only. Although it dont stop me from trying some times. I had a particular bottle of wine that was caught twice by CCL security in checked luggage. The second time it still had the sticker from the first time being taken prisoner. I still get a big kick out of thinking about the security guy that must have thought.....What an idiot, we have already caught this bottle once!!!:D

Classic case of Read the rules and get an Education.

Dont read them and get an Experience.

Very good saying. Less threads about smugglers losing their stuff so wonder if they are not cracking down as much.

My boxes are still making it on.

I used to pack wine in my suitcase. Wasnt sure this time so put one i my carryon and one in my suitcase... daughter and I were cruising so we were allowed 1 each on the ship...get to the airport... ooppppss....can't have it in the carryon , it was over 3 ounces... okay lost that one... open my suitcase on the ship..... crap.... that one is gone too, per CCL... cant have it in the suitcase... it was a lose lose situation....

.....because you didn't play by their rules.

:cool:

wasiii

Always, Always, Always Lock Your Luggage.

Locking, locking, locking your luggage has nothing to do with it!! Your alcohol is no safer whether luggage is locked or unlocked. It's luck of the draw, either way.

I keep reading people who post, I keep getting away with it .. dont listen, put it in your luggage like we do. Ours always makes it thru.

Surprise .. sometimes it doesnt. OP I hope you got it back the last night and could still enjoy it.

We fly from Canada - 2 to 3 flight changes - always pack wine in suitcases (we really know how to pack 'em well) then when we get to hotel (always arrive day before) we transfer to carryons. One wine bottle had dark rum in it and other had sambuca - heat sealed an all.

Locking, locking, locking your luggage has nothing to do with it!! Your alcohol is no safer whether luggage is locked or unlocked. It's luck of the draw, either way.

Perhaps it is and perhaps not, but no stranger will be rooting through your suitcase molesting all the contents. Worst case, you get called down to the naughty room to open the suitcase for them, but at least any inspection and repacking is done if front of you and not by some low bidder security firm.

Always LOCK your luggage.

Archived