Newbie Alaska Cruiser One step closer to booking NCL Sun to Alaska 7/24/05! Lots of ?

Jacquelyn11

I've been to the Caribbean several times but this would be our first trip to Alaska! I have the opportunity to go on a Pharmacy Contiuning Education cruise the end of July! My part of the cruise would be company paid, but we had to wait to see if the Tax refund check would come thru to take my Dear Hubby . We just got thru filing and it looks like the money will be there!

We are going to try to secure an outside balcony on the NCL Sun. Any advice on cabin selection? Is port or starboard better in sailing the inside passage? We have to book thru the TA that is sponsering the CE portion of the trip.

I have looked into excursions. We want to do a helicopter glacier tour, a snorkeling tour, and maybe the White Pass train tour. Looking more at independent excursions. Any advice would be appreciated!

Also, I have read some get to Vancouver via flying to Seattle, WA, then driving to Vancouver. Do you need a passport to do this? What is the best way, renting your own car are using a shuttle? We are going to try to fly directly to Vancouver, but it IS about $200 more on Delta. We may try to arrive a day early in one of the cities. Any must see sites in Vancouver or Seattle?

Thanks in advance for the "veteran's" advice! Oh, this will be our first vacation WITHOUT our kids in 11 years! Can't Wait!!

Jacquelyn :D

We went to Alaska last year on the Star - first trip without kids in 25 years!! Definitely go with the balcony, you will see land most of the time you are traveling. We were able to see whales from our balcony almost every night -it was awesome. We did the Railway and it was fun, not sure I thought it was worth $99 each, we really enjoyed the free walk around town tour with a ranger from the National Park Service more. He told us the history of the town, showed us some of the more interesting buildings, etc. These book up, so you want to walk over to the Park Service building when you first get there to book a time. In Juneau we went with the recommendation of many people on this board and booked a whale watching trip with Captain Larry - this was awesome and we would do it again in a second. It was a small boat so we got very personalized service, Larry knew where to go to see whales and we saw many! We were within 30 feet of some whales and actually saw one completely come out of the water! :D

I wish we had done more in Seattle, after we came home we watched a show about their underground city and would have loved to have seen it!

Best wishes on your trip, Alaska is someting to be seen - it is beautiful, but dress warm it is still chilly in the summer.

I was on the Sun last Summer to Alaska. If you are going in a day early I would fly to Seattle, save the money to rent a car, and drive to Vancouver.

Do you need a passport? NO Should you get a passport?, YES Just so much easier and soon you will have to have one.

In 2 trips to Alaska I have 3 must do tours. Two you can book with the ship or privately. One only available on the ship. Warning shore excursions can ad up to the same price as the cruise :eek:

3. Floatplane into Mysty Fiords - I used Island Wings

2. Helicopter glacier tour - a must do once

&

1. TRACY ARM FJORD & GLACIER EXPLORER JNU-015

Approximate Duration: 5 hours

This tour is not available for guests on Norwegian Star.

Join an exclusive opportunity to see the very best of the Tracy Arm wilderness area and an exciting close-up view of the majestic Sawyer Glaciers.

Relax in the warm, spacious cabin, surrounded by large windows on a luxurious, high-speed catamaran as you depart Juneau Harbor.

You leave Juneau an hour ahead of the Sun and reboard the ship in the Fjord 5 hours later. Turns a half day into a full day adventure and you get to be upclose with the face of the Glaciers.

There are some pictures from the Sun in the link below my countdown clock.

We went on the Sun last June and had a great cruise. I second Shoreguy's comments about the Tracy Arm/Sawyer Glacier excursion -- our favorite part of the trip. We didn't do any plane or helicopter rides -- too much $$$ for the 4 of us.

I don't think the side matters that much for a balcony on a round-trip cruise -- it's more important if you're on a one way. Our balcony was starboard, deck 11, near the front of the ship. Wonderful location convenient to elevators and the atrium.

We also flew to Seattle and drove, but with 4 of us, and the $300 difference in airfare, it was more like a $1200 savings. If you want to fly in the day before, I'd recommend getting a car and driving -- we just prefer having our own means of transportation so we can stop and see what we want. We didn't do much sightseeing other than the Space Needle in Seattle, and surrounding area.

Happy cruising!

If you have at least one day in Vancouver you could do lots of things. First the ship docks relatively right downtown. A few blocks away is Gastown. This is where Vancouver had started out way back in 1800's. It has a lot of quaint shops. Also, there is a shopping centre also a couple blocks away. If you need any more information, just let me know as I live here.

Happy sailing

I'm hoping my company will front my airfare and my DH may use Delta Sky miles to get his. I could also use miles if necessary. Canada is included in the "base" mile catagory. I've been to Seattle before, but it was several years ago. I think we will try for Vancouver first!

My DH says he would like to go dog sledding. Any info on good combo tours with the helicopter?

Thanks again for all the advice! Keep it coming!

FOUR GLACIER HELICOPTER & DOGSLED ADVENTURE JNU-021

Approximate Duration: 3 1/4 hours Level 2 / Flight

Enjoy a truly once-in-a-lifetime adventure that combines three of Alaska’s most desired activities: helicopter flightseeing, walking on a glacier and

mushing a dogsled team. Your journey begins as you fly over the Juneau Icefield and land on the Middle Branch of the Norris Glacier where you will be

met by your musher/guide. You will hear stories of the famous Iditarod, a 1,000-mile dog sled race from Anchorage to Nome, and have the opportunity to

see some of the race’s top dog mushing teams. Next, grab your camera and hang on! It is time to take a dog sled ride over the snow-covered glacier.

Back in the helicopter, your flightseeing adventure continues as you soar over a truly awesome glacial landscape seeing four unique glaciers in different

stages. Your pilot/guide will point out the cascading Hole-in-the-Wall Glacier, the advancing Taku Glacier, the retreating Norris Glacier and a unique,

floating glacier.

Note: Flight time is approximately 30 minutes with approximately one hour at the dogsled camp. Glacier boots are provided at the heliport. THIS TOUR

IS NON-REFUNDABLE.

Looking into booking airfare.

If we book to Seattle, how far is it to get to the terminal in Vancouver? Is it an easy drive? (mainly interstate?)

How far is the Vancouver airport to the cruise terminal? Any local hotel suggestions?

I've found if my company pays I will need to go out of Seattle. I may want to use my Delta Points to get to Vancouver direct.

Thanks for all the help!

The drive from Seattle to Vancouver is approx 3 hours. It also depends on what day of the week you are coming. if you were to come Mon to Fri a.m., you would experience rush hour traffic. Could take an additional 1/2 hour. from Vancouver airport to cruise terminal is approx 30 - 45 minutes. there are many hotels within walking distance from Canada Place (where ship docks). they range from $100 +. Two are right across the street (expensive). Any more help, just let me know.

I checked today and there are no flight to either SEA or YVR that have the base miles available. The Delta rep said there could have some open up, to keep checking. BUT, I like all my ducks in a row and to KNOW when my travel arrangements are.

I would be cheaper to get to SEA on Friday night, stay at an airport hotel, rent a car Saturday ( or take the shuttle/Amtrack) to Vancouver and stay there Saturday night. I priced out a DaysInn in Vancouver for about $109 that's near Canada Place.

Any other advice on getting from Seattle to Vancouver? (Yes, I've done a board search on the Alaska board on this too!)

Thanks for all your help everyone!

[/b]

WE COMFIRMED OUR BOOKING TODAY ON THE

NCL SUN ON JULY 24-31, 2005!!

We ended up booking Delta to Seattle on Friday night from ATL, it arrives at 10:45pm Seattle time. We will stay near the airport that evening then get to Vancouver the next morning, either on the shuttle or Amtrak.

Still need to find a reasonable hotel near the pier in Vancouver. Any suggestions?

Need to add my "new" cruise to my signature!

Thanks for all the advice everyone!

Jacquelyn

There are 2 hotels, 1 is directly across the street from Canada Place (pier) Fairmont Waterfront Hotel and the other is the Pan Pacific Hotel which is connected to the pier. They are a bit expensive - i think around $150+. There are many hotels in the downtown core (the pier is only a few blocks away).

I've did some searches and found several that will hopefully fit the budget. Are there taxis or shuttles from the hotels that will take you to the pier? Don't want to have to do the rental car storage at the hotel if I can avoid it!

Thanks again!

When I get a couple of places in mind I'll run them by you. I tend to stay in the "Hilton" chain but I'm open to other suggestions!

UTE FAN....Just looked at your Webshot photos.....I can't believe you get that close to the glaciers! I can't wait till we get our turn!

Shoreguy...looked at yours too. Just awsome!

BTW, did either of you happen to keep your "Ship Newspapers" (I think NCL calls theirs the "FREESTYLE DAILY") from the cruise did you? I was curious to what other activities they have abord ship. I'm sure it's the standard Bingo and shows and such. I'm actually going to be "busy" doing a Pharmacy Continuing Education course while on board. (Hence the reason my company is footing some of the bill!) I had to pay the extra to get the balcony, but I'm sure it will be worth it!

http://www.musc.edu/nursing/continue/brochure.pdf

So far I've booked Capt Larry in Juneau, Looking into TEMSCO for the Helicopter/Dog Sled and White Rail train in Skagway, Snorkeling in Ketchikan w/ Deep Six, and maybe Kayaking in Wrangell.

Added the "new" trip on the NCL SUN to my signature! WOO! HOO!

THanks again for all the great advice everyone! Getting so excited about this trip I'm forgetting about the Caribbean one! (BUT I'll be there for that one too! :cool: )

Jacquelyn --

I did save my "freestyle daily" papers. They're scanned and in a separate word document for each day. If you would like to see them, just let me know your email address and I'd be glad to send them to you.

Wish I was going again :) . We're going on the Sea in May, but I really think Alaska will be my #1 choice for cruising. The Caribbean is beautiful, but I'm not that much of a warm weather person, so Alaska was great for me.

My E-mail is JHS1111RPH@aol.com

You pics just took my breath away! I aquired a pair of Meade 8 X 42 digital bicnoculars for the trip. I can't wait to use to take close up's of the glaciers and wildlife.

Were most of those glacier pics from your shore excursion or from your balcony? Did you hear of anyone who did the snorkeling in Ketchikan with Deep Six?

I hope to take my boys (now 11 & 12) to Alaska when they are your kid's ages. I think (hope) they would appreciate it more when they are older.

Thanks again for the info!

I suggest you look into flying to Seattle and cruising from there. We were on NCL Star last summer and flew to Seattle. Seattle has so very much to offer. (I should know, I lived in the area for 28 years.) You will love your NCL cruise. Cathy

But would consider Seattle next time!

I booked my TEMSCO Helicopter/Dogsled tour yesterday! Spoke with the guy from Deep Six and will call him back about the snorkeling. Will book White pass train from the ship site.

Anyone have any good ideas for Wrangell?

Have Capt. Larry comfirmed for Juneau. They didn't mention we would be on a NEW boat, but since we go the end of July maybe we will on it! :)

Thanks to UTE Fan for sending me the "Freestyle Daily's" from NCL SUN last year!

Still shopping for a Vancouver hotel. Is W. Georgia St a good location?

Thanks all again!

When I get a couple of places in mind I'll run them by you. I tend to stay in the "Hilton" chain but I'm open to other suggestions

If you have Hilton Honors points, there is a marveolous Hilton near the Vancouver airport. (at least the website makes it look marvelous) We used the DW's honors points to get a free night there in June before our cruise. They assure me that transportation to Canada Place is readily available though I didn't discuss cost with them. I'm a little bummed that we're not downtown as Vancouver is one of my 3 favorite cities on the planet but we fly in at 1pm and have the whole afternoon and evening to shuttle into town for fun and frivolity.

Hi Jacquelyn --

In response to Wrangell, I don't recommend the jeep tour. Nothing particularly wrong with it, but we just didn't feel that it justified the cost. I read another thread where Yukon mentioned the Stikine River trip (sp??). I know we had looked at that one, but since we'd just done the Tracy Arm catamaran tour we didn't really want another boat tour. Depending on what your else you're doing, he indicated that is a pretty good option.

Tried for $75-89 range. The Hotwire **** was $140. My DH is going to a conference in Houston this week where several friends that have been to Vancouver. Hopefully they will come thru with something!

Also checked Hilton w/ points...no go!

From reading posts, most folks get the Hyatt going thru hotwire.

Going to try again in a week or so!

Archived