Cinnamon Cache out of Carcross?

vhord

Does anyone know if the Cinnamon Cache will be open this year? I saw on the internet that if was for sale. I sure would hate to miss out on those cinnamon rolls, sandwiches and soups that everyone has been raving about. It will be our first trip to the BC/Yukon.

I highly recommend it if it's open. Last year, we went up to Whitehorse for Labor Day weekend and it looked pretty deserted. It's always been one of our favorite stops but the couple are getting pretty elderly so they may have just retired.

Dave

Yes, it will be open - I was talking to Gail and Bobo a couple of weeks ago. They'll be closed one day a week - some mid-week day - and will be open from early May until late September. I'm looking forward to the opening day too! :D

Murray

Any idea when they will open in May? I'm sailing a B2B on the Sun Princess and have a car reserved for May 13 to head up and visit the Yukon. I've printed out you guide and hope to say "Hi" while in Carcross. I've done the tour a couple of times already on the bus and this is the first time on my own. Am looking forward to being able to stop wherever I want.

Doug

Hi all, we'll be doing the trip on the 17th of May(Our 30th Anniversary) and I hope they will be open cause I've told my group alot about this trip, thanks to Murray. By the way Murray any chance of running into you somewhere on our trip on the 17th, I would like to at least buy you a drink and dinner for all you do for people like us trying to get the most out of our cruise and I know that this adventure will be our highlite of Alaska. If everybody did this trip they couldn't keep enough cars available, but actually thats probably a good thing. Happy cruising everyone.....Roy

No, we are going on the Coral. Are you on the Sapphire? Last May we were on the Diamond so this year we decided to do the oneway northbound so that we could see glaciers. We couldn't get into Tracy Arm far enough to see Sawyer Glacier and we didn't make it to Juneau to see Mendenhall either.

Judynorth, no we will be on the Diamond and I hope they have worked out the kinks from last year. We have both aft balcony cabins on the port side of the terrace pool. When we do Tracy Arm will the sight from Skywalkers be a good place to be or should we be ready to go elsewhere. Thanks.....Roy

I would recommend starting out as high up on the ship as you can, outside. There you will get the whole panorama, which is awesome. The sports deck has a covered and shielded area in case of rain. We spent a couple of hours up on deck until the rain and cold had us numbed completely. We then went back to our cabin to dry off with the idea of going down to the promenade deck. We discovered that the view from our balcony was great. We were on the Aloha deck midship. I don't know that the aft balcony would be the best place for Tracy Arm. I wanted to see things before I got there rather than after. If you are lucky enough to get around the bend to the glacier (we didn't because there was too much ice) then I think you would definitely want to be someplace where you can see where you are going. Just catching the first glimpse of the glacier would be exciting. If I were in your cabin I think in Tracy Arm I would find another place on the ship with a forward view while going in and then return to your balcony as you leave. Or have breakfast on your balcony, go out and up to the top of the ship until you leave the glacier, and then return to your balcony for the trip out. Oh, I envy you going to Tracy Arm. This is what I will miss the most on our northbound cruise. I just LOVED Tracy Arm.

Roy,

Another tip. While you are on your balcony you can turn on the TV and listen to the naturalist talk about what you are seeing. He will let you know if any wildlife is sighted and where to see it. He also talks about the ecology of the area. You don't have to miss anything if you stay on your balcony.

We'll be in Skagway on May 18th also. And we're driving into the Yukon. So, I vote for Cinnamon Cache staying open on Wednesday also! Maybe if we get 100 people to answer here we'll find it open on Wed. We'll be on the NCL Star. My kids will really be impressed by some cinnamon rolls. Of course, I can take it or leave it. Ha! What a joke!

Bill

Bill,

Have you visited the website? Here is the address in case you haven't: http://www.yukonalaska.com/buns/

They have a guest book so maybe if we all sign it pleading that he not close on May 18th, he will stay open. It's worth a try anyway. All of us CCer's who are sharing the road that day will have to do something to identify ourselves, you know, like football fans and their antenna flags.

How far do you plan to go into the Yukon? Just to Emerald Lake or beyond? Have you been there before? If not, you are in for a treat. The scenery is spectacular!

Hi Judy,

I just signed in and pleaded for May 18th! Good idea. We've never been to Skagway and I'm really looking forward to this drive and the scenery. I think we'll just go as far as Emerald Lake. From what I've heard, that's the extent of the spectacular scenery. Do you agree? I've only been to Alaska once and that was 100 years ago, it seems. It wasn't on a cruise, but a trip with my father. Went to Juneau and a village outside there. I was a teen and didn't care about scenery then.

Newport News......I'm going to be in Williamsburg in about two weeks. It's all a beautiful area. I was stationed at Fort Lee for a year in the late '60's. Now you know that I'm old!!!

For CC identifiers, we could put a certain color ribbon on our radio antennae. Does CC have a color?

Bill

You are going to be in Williamsburg at a beautiful time of year. We just spent the day up there Tuesday taking pictures. It is a little early for the flowers - the only ones blooming were jonquils and anemones - but by the time you get here the tulips will be blooming. BTW, I have W'burg pictures at my Webshots link below. I'd say give us a call when you are there but we will be down in NC when you are here.

I hope that our pleading with Bobo and Gail works. It is at least worth a try. I guess that the color for CC must be blue. All the logowear on the website is a marine blue. Now if I can just find some blue ribbon. That's a good idea. Should we start another thread with this idea for all CCers who are renting cars?

Hey, you sound like you could be near our age. The first time that I visited W'burg was when my husband was at Fort Lee for a 6 week training school in 1969. He worked for DA at Ft. Knox at the time. We moved to VA in 1970.

We'll be in Skagway on May 18th also. And we're driving into the Yukon. So, I vote for Cinnamon Cache staying open on Wednesday also! Maybe if we get 100 people to answer here we'll find it open on Wed. We'll be on the NCL Star. My kids will really be impressed by some cinnamon rolls. Of course, I can take it or leave it. Ha! What a joke!

Bill

Hello Bill and other,

I too placed a plea with Cinnamon Cache to be open on May 18th as the 14 of us will be traveling that way also (and also on the NCL Star).

However, we are not renting cars we are taking a tour though Frontier Excursions; hopefully, we will find it worth the extra money to have our own tour guide. I may be wishing we just rented cars.

Funny...my DH was stationed in Fort Eustise (sp?) and Fort Bragg in the late 60's.

I bet Bobo and Gail at Cinnamon Cache don't know what hit them. I checked a little while ago and there were 2 pages of messages in their guestbook pleading for them to be open on specific days. Those of us going on May 18th have the most posts. I hope it helps.

I just got a phone call from Gail at the Cinnamon Cache. She just went into her guestbook and saw all your posts - she was laughing her head off and told me that they will be open 7 days a week now. :)

Murray

p.s. - she said that it's Bobo who's getting "elderly", not her! :D

Great! I can hardly wait to meet them both. My mouth is already watering for those cinnamon buns. I might be interested in some good soup, a sandwich, or a salad too. We will be there on May 18th. Guaranteed! And we are bringing 2 friends with us.

BTW, if Gail and Bobo are "elderly" then I must be older than dirt!

Ok, all you guys who are renting cars in Skagway better visit the Cinnamon Cache and support Gail and Bobo.

I'm a little slow on my response....was too busy this week. Regarding the blue ribbon, if you're driving up the highway on May 18th, why don't you take some blue ribbon and put on the antenna. Could be a little fun finding another CC'er on the road.

Judynorth, would you email me please? I have a question for you. Thanks much.

Bill

rainbowfamily@comcast.net

Archived