Forced gratuities

tpajet

Wow, what a bunch of rude, stuck up jerks on here.

First of all I am speaking from experience hence why I am familiar with the Internet policy. Secondly we had asked the carnival agent upon booking over the phone if there were any others fees or charges and told no.

Also I don have a problem tipping if the service is good but don't just add it in automatically. Let me leave what I think is appropriate for the service we got. And to the poster who said the comment about working for $10 per week, I wouldn't expect that either but I guess I would expect Carnival to pay the staff a wage too.

Ultimately I don't have the issue with tipping but Carnival should have been more upfront. As someone else said here why not just include it with the cost of the cruis ticket and why would carnival not be more upfront about it?

Take a deep breath OP. No need to be cranky since you came looking for info and got answers you didn't like.

Gratuities are a customary part of cruising. Disney, Princess, RCCL, Carnival NCL etc-doesn't matter. Their policies are all similar. Ultimately, you have to decide whether or not this type of vacation is right for you and your family. The extra $280 our family has to budget for a seven night cruise is factored in when we decide whether or not we can afford to go. In the end I think you'll find it was well worth it.

Wow, what a bunch of rude, stuck up jerks on here.

First of all I am speaking from experience hence why I am familiar with the Internet policy. Secondly we had asked the carnival agent upon booking over the phone if there were any others fees or charges and told no.

Also I don have a problem tipping if the service is good but don't just add it in automatically. Let me leave what I think is appropriate for the service we got. And to the poster who said the comment about working for $10 per week, I wouldn't expect that either but I guess I would expect Carnival to pay the staff a wage too.

Ultimately I don't have the issue with tipping but Carnival should have been more upfront. As someone else said here why not just include it with the cost of the cruis ticket and why would carnival not be more upfront about it?

If you are familiar with Carnivals internet policy from experience then why aren't you farmiliar with their tipping policy?

Since when do you get to decide how other people choose to spend their money? :rolleyes:

How about you mind your business, and allow others to mind theirs.

Problem solved!

You're on a DISCUSSION board. Your post is pretty bossy pants too:)

And where do you get your information that disputes this?

Forget about the monetary # for a second. I am the first person to empathize with the cruiseline employees & I do, but I'm weary of hearing how little they make. Very few people consider what their housing, food, medical care, discounted drinks & travel to & from home costs. How much do we EXPECT that the lines can pay them above all that and not raise fares??

Forget about the monetary # for a second. I am the first person to empathize with the cruiseline employees & I do, but I'm weary of hearing how little they make. Very few people consider what their housing, food, medical care, discounted drinks & travel to & from home costs. How much do we EXPECT that the lines can pay them above all that and not raise fares??

And let's also not ignore that they may well earn far more than the average wage in their home country. Maybe...

And let's also not ignore that they may well earn far more than the average wage in their home country. Maybe...

Absolutely. I happen to be on the side of the fence that believes they earn & deserve every penny of their tips. Those on the other side of the fence don't believe this & think the cruiseline is to blame for not paying enough.. It's illogical because if the cruiseline increases staff salaries they will have to increase fares. We will pay one way or another so why not pay the nice & IMO "right" way instead of the "forced" way?

;)

Oh, I'd say telling people how to spend their own money is also pretty bossy, and incredibly rude.

And I would say the name callling is uncalled for...If you don't leave your tips you are cheap and incredibly rude....LOL

http://disneycruise.disney.go.com/faqs/onboard-services/gratuities/

Take a look here at Disney's tipping that says per person PER CRUISE.

Yes - I see $12/person/DAY for each of the sample cruises at your link. You see something else?

I think it may be the case that YOU are not as experienced as you claim - because this is standard across all cruiselines.

Not trying to be rude, just pointing out the facts which you are clearly unaware of and are having trouble interpreting.

Howard

Yes, unfortunately, now you know its true, a lot of stewards and waiters only make about $50 a month.

Not even close to being accurate.

Where exactly did you get this figure? :confused:

And where do you get your information that disputes this?

http://www.cruiseshipjob.net/joblistings/

Cabin Steward Stewardess - Salary $1400-2400/month.

Assistant Cabin Steward Stewardess - Salary $1800-2000/month.

No one is working for $50 a month on a cruise ship.

Here's a link to a different site with a little bit more information ... the inclusion of the words "...depending on percentage of gratuities (tips)."

http://www.cruiseshipjob.com/hotel.htm

My point is that the stateroom steward portion was $17.50 per person - this was on a 5 day cruise, so actually the $28 is not an even comparison.

Regardless of this, my whole main point is that Carnival was not up front with us on this. Again, when we asked if there were any other fees or charges we were told no. When they were telling us about using cash for the sail and sign card (which we did not do - they were just giving us the options) why would they not say "by the way, be sure to add enough to cover the gratuities."

If we get good service, I have no problem paying for it. But let me know. I'm not in the poor house, so for all of you who made the comments that if you can't afford it do play. I certainly have $250 of room on my card to charge this. But I'm not making 6 figures a year either. When I'm planing on the trip and budgeting for the trip, having and extra $250 added on that I wasn't expecting doesn't help. And for those of you who say read the terms, granted, however even the Carnival rep said "you can go to (blah, blah, blah dot carnival dot com) and read the 27 pages of the contract.

And to answer another poster - I am as familiar with the tipping policy as I am with the internet policy. I lived both. At least with the internet I was made aware by the reservations agent that there was a charge for. But they are sneaky on that one as well - after my time is up, cut me off instead of hoping I'll lose track of time and start paying 75 cents per minute.

You misread what I wrote then. They get a set $50 a month from Carnival and then the rest is tips... those internet figures to lure in workers include tips in the projected amount of salary you are quoting.

wages and tips together. I never said anyone worked for $50 a month only (you forgot the tips).

As far as calling people stuck up because they are ok with the tipping policy ..... people who dont want to tip the standard amt is a hot topic, sorry. but it just is.

No, I'm using the term stuck up because of the "if you can't afford the tip, then don't sail" comments. It's not about being able to afford the tip. It's about letting me know ahead of time that it's coming.

Yes, unfortunately, now you know its true, a lot of stewards and waiters only make about $50 a month.

I disagree with you on this. Our steward said he has 27 cabins to do. (I asked out of curiosity, not due to the tipping question) He got $17.50 per person on our 5 day cruise, and if you figure only 2 people per cabin average (we'll go low math) that's $945 for that cruise. The Inspiration does two 5 day cruises and one 4 day in a two week cycle, so in a month that's 6 cruises over 28 days. That means our steward got $5,292 on that 2 person average. So I don't see the $50 per month you pointed out.

You misread what I wrote then. They get a set $50 a month from Carnival and then the rest is tips... those internet figures to lure in workers include tips in the projected amount of salary you are quoting.

wages and tips together. I never said anyone worked for $50 a month only (you forgot the tips).

If you ask a booking agent are there are fees. they would say no, because there are not any upfront.. so they answered you correctly. Had you asked are there some charges to expect once onboard they would have mentioned tips perhaps?

Dont go on NCL because the tips are now called service charges and you have even less choice as on Carnival.

As far as calling people stuck up because they are ok with the tipping policy ..... people who dont want to tip the standard amt is a hot topic, sorry. but it just is.

I didn't "misread" anything.

Of course it includes tips as that is industry practice as to how they are paid.

OP, I'm sorry you are 'feeling duped' by Carnival, but, we, as individual ADULTS, must stop putting the responsibilities on others all the time. The bottom line is you clearly didn't research enough or read your cruise documents well enough and you didn't understand the gratuity policy.

If you are, as you say, "ok with paying the tips", then please quit bellyaching because nobody sent you and engraved letter spelling it all out to you.

It's soooooo easy to blame everyone else around us for the stupid things we do! When will people starting taking responsibility for their own actions???

I read what the OP said, but I do think he/she doesn't want to pay them as he thinks it's too much money. I think he/she needs to learn to read as others have posted and I also believe the posters on here advising he/she can remove them is giving him/her all the ammunition he/she needs to do so.

This poster would surprise me if he/she paid the full amount. Sorry, just my opinion. If I am wrong, I apologize, but I do believe this person is traveling on less than a shoe string.

That may be, but if you can't afford to pay the tip or feel it isn't justified no matter how well your waiter/cabin steward/etc do, then you shouldn't be cruising. Time to find a more affordable vacation avenue.

No, I'm using the term stuck up because of the "if you can't afford the tip, then don't sail" comments. It's not about being able to afford the tip. It's about letting me know ahead of time that it's coming.

I disagree with you on this. Our steward said he has 27 cabins to do. (I asked out of curiosity, not due to the tipping question) He got $17.50 per person on our 5 day cruise, and if you figure only 2 people per cabin average (we'll go low math) that's $945 for that cruise. The Inspiration does two 5 day cruises and one 4 day in a two week cycle, so in a month that's 6 cruises over 28 days. That means our steward got $5,292 on that 2 person average. So I don't see the $50 per month you pointed out.

He also has an assistant or two to pay.

OP, I'm sorry you are 'feeling duped' by Carnival, but, we, as individual ADULTS, must stop putting the responsibilities on others all the time. The bottom line is you clearly didn't research enough or read your cruise documents well enough and you didn't understand the gratuity policy.

If you are, as you say, "ok with paying the tips", then please quit bellyaching because nobody sent you and engraved letter spelling it all out to you.

It's soooooo easy to blame everyone else around us for the stupid things we do! When will people starting taking responsibility for their own actions???

Well said. At some point it boils down to personal accountability.

Why am I getting deja'vu?

I believe I may smell the said spouse of the sardine lady who was frugal in booking 5 pax into an interior who did not want her stateroom steward to do anything all week except give towels so she could avoid $17.50 and only give $10.

Since when do you get to decide how other people choose to spend their money? :rolleyes:

How about you mind your business, and allow others to mind theirs.

Problem solved!

Obviously someone who has no problem pulling their tips on the LAST day of the cruise (of course not the first day, then the service would reflect the expected lack of a tip).

Something that was not told to us when we booked is that Carnival automatically adds $10 per person, per day to your bill as a gratuity for the dinning and cabin staff. For us that's $250. I've looked at Royal Caribbean, Holland America, and Disney - HA does the automatic gratuity for the stateroom, but it's only $11 per person per cruise, while Royal and Disney only recommend an amount to tip, $11-$12 per person, per cruise, not per day.

First of all am I reading this correctly on the other cruise lines (per cruise instead of per day) and do any other cruise lines do the forced gratuity?

Here's the part I find interesting as well. You have the option on your sign and sail card to deposit cash into the account, $100 at a time. But they didn't tell us that if we did that option to go ahead and put up $350 (the $100 plus the forced gratuity).

NO WAY!!!!!!!! It can't be $11-$12 per person, per cruise!!!!!

Archived