Pride- Cabin 4214 Am I sleeping going forward or backward?

prettyblue2

I just read an article that mentioned that those who may get sea sick should book a cabin going in the direction that corresponds with the foot of the bed so I will feel I am going forward not backward. I hadn't thought of that. I'll be in cabin 4214 on the 7-24-11 sailing so it is certainly too late to make any cabin changes. I will be leaving from Baltimore going to Port Canaveral, Nassau, and Freeport and then returning to Baltimore. Anyone know the answer to this one? Thanks.

I don't have the answer to your question, but I have to say that on 15 cruises, I have *never* had the sensation of movement in one direction or another. Even in bed, if I'm trying to figure out which way we're going, I can't figure it out. When walking around the decks, I can't tell which is forward or aft unless I actually look-- I can't tell by the feeling. Now, I'm not saying I've never felt motion while cruising... I'm just saying I've never been able to tell which direction it's coming from.

If you're worried you'll get seasick, try meclizine, the generic version of Bonine. Take one pill before bed the night before sailing and one pill every night during the cruise. It works great for my husband, who has inner ear problems that can cause him to be very prone to seasickness.

I just read an article that mentioned that those who may get sea sick should book a cabin going in the direction that corresponds with the foot of the bed so I will feel I am going forward not backward. I hadn't thought of that. I'll be in cabin 4214 on the 7-24-11 sailing so it is certainly too late to make any cabin changes. I will be leaving from Baltimore going to Port Canaveral, Nassau, and Freeport and then returning to Baltimore. Anyone know the answer to this one? Thanks.

No idea, sorry. It will be our first time! But had to jump in when i noticed we are sailing at the same time, also on the same deck.

Im sure it will be ok:)

Thanks Shelli. That is comforting. I only took one cruise before in 2003 and never had to take medication. But it has been a long time. I've packed ginger capsules and meclizine, and will be wearing pressure point sea-bands on my wrists prior to embarcation. I really want to wait and see before taking the meclizine.

So often, questions on this forum have been asked over and over again. I may be wrong but I think this is a first! I hate to add more worries, but I would think that it's possible your bed may be positioned so that you're going sideways as well. I agree with Shelli and recommend Bonine. My wife has a tendency to get very seasick and starts taking Bonine the day before we cruise and has never had a problem...even in rough seas. You'll be so tired and relaxed you won't care which way your bed faces anyway. Enjoy your cruise!

I really do not think that is a true statement.

Most all balcony cabins have the bed with your head facing forward or your head facing aft. Depends on the balcony door is located.

Inside cabins mostly will have bodies facing port/starboard.

if it was a true statement do you think the cabins would be set up differently.

If a person gets sea sick- they will get sick no matter what position that bed is in.

If you were fine in 2003 more then likely you will be fine this time too

This question has been asked before and for those prone to sea/motion sickness it matters, to those who don't get sea sick, like me, it doesn't.

If you are aligned asleep with the direction of the ship, head forward, feet aft, you will be better off than rocking back and forth from side to side. If you are prone to motion, I would recommend that you don't wait to use the patch. Once you are sea sick, the patch doesn't quite work. It's usually recommended that you begin wearing the patch 24 hrs before you sail. If there are side effects like drowsiness, you can cut the patch in half and try that dose to start off.

Archived