NCL Jewel: Bridge Tip

mas90guru

We had a lot of fun on the Jewel watching the activity on the bridge. You can go to the 11th floor and there's a glass observation booth with lots of pictures and a self-running video.

When the ship is entering and exiting port they shut the shades. While they're at sea you can watch the activity.

We especially liked that they have a live radar display showing where the ship is and the other boats around it.

There's also a behind the scenes tour which if I recall was about $50 and we declined.

Depending upon the Captain, if he attends the Cruise Critic Meet & Greet, he may offer a bridge tour later in the week.

Ours did and we fully enjoyed the hour-long time on the bridge! Fabulous! I kept the personalized invitation on NCL letterhead sent to our cabin.

When the ship is entering and exiting port they shut the shades. While they're at sea you can watch the activity.

Any idea why? I would think that it would be one of the most interesting times to watch them in action, especially with the harbor pilot on board.

Any idea why? I would think that it would be one of the most interesting times to watch them in action, especially with the harbor pilot on board.

This is just a guess but since the ship's course is programmed and basically sails on a sort of auto pilot. Then the captain physically has to dock it. I'm sure they don't want any distractions.

I'd have to agree with you; harbor entry and docking would be much more interesting. But I'm sure, as others have said, it's to prevent distractions and disturbances....

Depending upon the Captain, if he attends the Cruise Critic Meet & Greet, he may offer a bridge tour later in the week.

Ours did and we fully enjoyed the hour-long time on the bridge! Fabulous! I kept the personalized invitation on NCL letterhead sent to our cabin.

In April, The Jewel Capt. told our meet & greet that they stopped the free tour due to "insurance" issues..

Don't know wether that is true or not but we didn't get a tour...I am sure someone will chime in if the got the free tour since April..

This is just a guess but since the ship's course is programmed and basically sails on a sort of auto pilot. Then the captain physically has to dock it. I'm sure they don't want any distractions.

I thought the Dock/Harbor Pilot took the ship in and out of port. and not the Captain.

Edited by maggie cruises

I thought the Dock/Harbor Pilot took the ship in and out of port. and not the Captain.

On a bridge tour, the captain told my husband's group (I didn't go) that it was his responsibility, unless the seas were very calm and it was at his discretion whether he let his next in line do it with supervision. I personally don't know for sure which is right, just going by what he was told by the captain on our cruise.

my understanding is that pilot is only used for guidance. captain and ship crew still drive the boat. its kinda of like listening to a back seat driver :rolleyes:

The bridge is not part of the autogratuity...hehehehehe...:D

seriously...bridge tours are pretty cool if one is lucky to participate (or pay for) one.

Not to hijack the posting just want to say Hi to PH Remember us AJ and me on the Spirit had a great time waiting for October to surprise my mother for her birthday on the Jewel

In April, The Jewel Capt. told our meet & greet that they stopped the free tour due to "insurance" issues..

Don't know wether that is true or not but we didn't get a tour...I am sure someone will chime in if the got the free tour since April..

That's too bad. Maybe when I pretended to hit the anchor down button in March that made them a little nervous;)

Seriously, we did do it during out March 20th sailing and it was really neat! Everyone behaved and had some great questions. The captain was actually off at the time so whoever was next in line did the tour for us. I am sorry you didn't get to see the inside from the inside but the the observation room is a pretty cool to watch from anyway.

• 4 years later...

Balcony maven:

Hi Balcony maven:

How do you go about getting onto the behind the scenes tours on bridge especially? I've been on only two cruises and each time I failed to find where to go to do this. But I would love to do it as we have a cruise coming up soon.

thanks,

you probably could e-mail me at yarzan1@aol.com or my listed e-mail here (which I have been off so long I forget which one it is).

All the best,

SMT

This is a four year old thread and the member (balconymaven) has not posted here on cruisecritic in over a year.

There is no way to guarantee that one could visit the bridge even on a behind the scenes tour, it's nowadays completely by the discretion of the captain and there have been plenty of people reporting not being able to visit the bridge.

I can however recommend the behind the scenes tour on NCL ships, it lasts about 2,5 hours and visits ship's laundry, MDR kitchen, pantry, food processing area, enviromental operations (recycling, waste management etc), theatre backstage and if possible the bridge or bridge viewing room. Tour requires closed toed shoes and one needs to be able to stand/walk the whole duration of the tour. Price is $79pp and one should sign up at guest services.

It is called being in " Red Zone", curtains are closed. Also until 1/2 hour after sunrise and 1/2 hour prior to sunset.

I paid for the tour years ago on the Pearl, and it was fascinating. Two years ago, we had a tour of the bridge on the Dawn as a suite perk.

We will be on the Gem this spring. Does it also have a bridge viewing room?

Jewel Class ships have Bridge Viewing Rooms.