Opinions on tuxedo rentals

DH has done this on a couple of cruises. The second time he didn't bother to make sure the tux was correct until formal night when he was dressing for dinner. The pants were about 10" too small! He wore his own black Dockers with the rest of the tux package. No one knew (except if they looked closely and didn't see the satin stripe on the pants). Called the rental department and the correct size pants were in the cabin when we returned for dinner.

Now we just wear our normal dinner clothes on formal night and no one says a thing. We usually tell our wait team that we won't attend formal night as we didn't bring the formal duds, but they insist we come to dinner anyway.

We're still dressed more nicely than some of the other diners. (But don't get me started on that... :rolleyes:)

If I can get him to dress up again, I'll definitely spring for the tux rental.

Wow... how much does it cost for you to bring over a suit?:eek:

I don't think it's a matter of cost but convenience. Packing a Tux, plus 2 shirts, plus black shoes takes needed space. I rented a tux on a TA and did not have to worry about being "to the nines" on formal nights. DW liked the way I looked:). I don't think $90.00 will break anyone affording a cruise.

My experience is tuxedo rental is very easy. Get measured on day 1. They bring the entire package to your cabin, usually two shirts, for two formal nights. When the cruise is over leave it hang in your room and they come get it. I think rerasonably priced. It seems to me it was around $90 and the fit was fine.

My experience is tuxedo rental is very easy. Get measured on day 1. They bring the entire package to your cabin, usually two shirts, for two formal nights. When the cruise is over leave it hang in your room and they come get it. I think rerasonably priced. It seems to me it was around $90 and the fit was fine.

You can rent once you are on board.

I only rented once and that was not with RC...the fit was not good even after adjustments. My old tux (s) made it to the thrift shop quite a few years ago.

Since then I have been wearing a dark suit but would love to go the tux route again.

My husband and I love formal nights. If we are boarding away from home and have to fly first, we always rent him a tux. If we board from our home port, he takes his own.

We have had great experience with renting them. When you board, the tux is hanging in the closet. If something doesn't fit, they immediately come, see what the problem is, and bring one that does fit. We have had huge success with it. Yes, it isn't a custom tailored tux, but it looks and fits very well on him. It's far easier than trying to pack one!

You can rent once you are on board.

I only rented once and that was not with RC...the fit was not good even after adjustments. My old tux (s) made it to the thrift shop quite a few years ago.

Since then I have been wearing a dark suit but would love to go the tux route again.

I have always rented them once onboard. The guy for measurements is usually down around the centrum where they're selling other stuff. Couldn't find him once but we just called and he came to the cabin.

On our very first cruise I rented a Tux (and I also took my own suit because there were 3 formal nights, and we got married mid-way through)

Anyway, I was pleased with how well the tux fit, and they supplied decent shirts, the suspenders, and cuff-links too.

All I needed to supply was the shoes.

Since then I bring my own suit, but if the situation necessitated, I wouldn't hesitate to rent again.

Went on a Celebrity Millennium 14 day Barcelona –Venice cruise.

Did not take a Tux as we were going on a 14 day road trip from Venice.

There were 3 dress up nights. the first night we went to the buffet to eat and there was nobody there and only pizza. I rented a tux for the next 2 dress up nights. The ship taylor came to our room and measured me and the tux showed up the next day. It had everything included (two shirts) except black socks. I had only white socks so kept my feet under the table. We enjoyed a fall color cruise on NCL with Free Style dinning.

Other cruises we have been on most of the guys wore suit and a few wore tux's.

My DH has rented a tux the past two cruises and looked quite dapper, if I don't say so myself. :D We didn't have any issues the first time we rented, but last year we had a problem. :rolleyes: He hadn't bothered to try the tux on before our first formal night and when he went to get dressed there was a split in the side seam of the leg about 12" long! :eek: We just called down and a new pair of pants were brought up to the room within 10 minutes! :) It is definitely worth the $100.

I noticed a 10% coupon in the C&A booklet. Has anyone actually waited until they are on the ship to get a tux? I've used the service once in the Med, probably will again out of San Juan. But I was going to book beforehand.

we always order online before, and we use the coupon. The first time DH took it to guest services, and they took it no problem.

Last cruise he did the same, and they said it had to be used on an onboard tux rental, he told them he had been able to use it in the past and it states on the coupon you can use it for either/or. So they took it and posted the credit to our seapass.

If you want to dress up for the formals then tux rental is by far the easiest way to go. I've rented 3 times and never had a problem - and it sure beats packing a suit. However, we've tired of the formals. We've got enough pics of ourselves dressed to the nines so now we prefer to go more semi. My wife looks good in anything casual and I mostly wear a shirt and tie but no jacket.

I noticed a 10% coupon in the C&A booklet. Has anyone actually waited until they are on the ship to get a tux? I've used the service once in the Med, probably will again out of San Juan. But I was going to book beforehand.

I always wait til I'm on the ship to get a tux. I have only cruised out of San Juan or Florida, never to Med.

We tried ordering online in advance for our cruise last month. Then DH lost some weight and we needed to change the jacket size. I had to call in to change it, but apparently they had recently gotten rid of tux-specific customer service reps, so I was redirected to another line. Spoke to a confused (and kind of unprofessional) someone who said she made the change to the new jacket size, and it was in stock, so no problem, and we'd receive a confirmation via email.

A week later, still no confirmation, so I emailed them. Not only had the change not been made, the entire reservation had been wiped from their system, and to make matters worse, the jacket was no longer in stock! We put in a new order with a jacket that was too big (since that's what was in stock), and that's what arrived in the room. Sadness.

But DH stopped by the tailor on board the first night, and she immediately said, "That jacket's too big for you! I'll get you the right one!" and handed him a jacket in his (supposedly out-of-stock) size. She even made an extra tweak to his shirts so they fit better. Everything was ready within an hour, and looked great on him. I wish we had a tailor like that at home!

Lesson learned, I guess, is just order on the ship.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived