Opinions on tuxedo rentals

Hello. I am only looking for opinions on the tuxedo rentals on board the ships. I would like to not have to pack my suit to cut down on paying luggage fees to the airline. Primarily I would like to know how the experience was as far as the ease of renting and the fit. Thanks.

Even though we live in Houston,

I do not have to worry about airlines.

But I still rent a tux, have done it both times, and will the next.

The fit was perfect, I try it on first thing when I get there.

It is in your room when you arrive ( at least it was for me. )

That way if there is a problem, it can be fixed. ( that is what I read on this board ).

Happy renting,

:rolleyes:

We often rent a tux for DH on cruises of a week or longer. So far, everything has worked out great. The tux magically appears in your closet the first day of the cruise, and disappears on the last. For us, that leaves lots more room in the luggage for my clothes! :p ;) But, as BigTex mentioned, be sure to try it on as soon as possible -- so you can get any problems fixed well in advance of formal night! :cool:

When you do rent, make sure to go with the option of adding a second shirt. Makes the second formal night more pleasurable to get ready for then putting on a shirt you spent the night in already, especially if you drip anything on it. Also, do not forget to pack a white tee shirt for underneath it as well as the black socks.

The experience is pleasant. But it won't save you any money...
It does if you travel from the UK like us and have limited baggage allowance on airlines.

Even though we live in Houston,

I do not have to worry about airlines.

But I still rent a tux, have done it both times, and will the next.

The fit was perfect, I try it on first thing when I get there.

It is in your room when you arrive ( at least it was for me. )

That way if there is a problem, it can be fixed. ( that is what I read on this board ).

Happy renting,

:rolleyes:

Totally agree, have done it everytime we fly to the US to join a cruise.

When you do rent, make sure to go with the option of adding a second shirt. Makes the second formal night more pleasurable to get ready for then putting on a shirt you spent the night in already, especially if you drip anything on it. Also, do not forget to pack a white tee shirt for underneath it as well as the black socks.
I've always had 2 shirts provided as part of a 7 day rental, has that changed?

The six day or longer day rental package includes 2 shirts. The 3/4/5 day packages [only one formal night] include only 1. For US airlines, if you are paying $40/50 for an extra bag, the tux rental [$89 (traditional) - $99 (vest and long tie) shoes extra] won't save you anything -- but it sure is convenient.

Here is a link to the website for ordering:

https://tuxedorentals.rccl.com/tuxedo/tuxrental.nsf

Hello to all. Thank you for your replies and advice. I did find another thread on tux rentals which was also helpful. I do realize that it will not save me any money but it will help me in how I am going to pack for the cruise. Again thanks for everyone's input.

I noticed a 10% coupon in the C&A booklet. Has anyone actually waited until they are on the ship to get a tux? I've used the service once in the Med, probably will again out of San Juan. But I was going to book beforehand.

Be sure and try it on as soon as you board the ship. More than one person has found that they had the wrong size and didn't discover it until they were getting dressed. Also, it could be the right size on the label but it has been altered for some reason.

Tucker in Texas

I find it much more convenient than lugging my own tuxa when our cruise involves flying to or from the port. The quality is very good and if there are any problems with the fit, they have been quick to correct them. When we are cruising with our kids and grandkids we get some nice photos on formal night.:) I ordered it prior to our cruise and presented the coupon to the tailor when I was onboard, and the discount was credited to my onboard account.:)

I rented a tux from RCI on our 14 night cruise. I went and got measured at a local tailor so I had all my right measurements for the form. The tux was there in my room when I arrived on board. I did not try it on before hand and I should have. My shirt as too small in the neck. I discovered this about 1 hour before dinner. My wife went down to Guest Services and they contacted someone from the rental people. She was back in the room with 2 new shirts in 15 minutes. Great service!!!!!!

. Has anyone actually waited until they are on the ship to get a tux? .

Yes, although it doesnt come highly recommended around here to do this, I done just that on the Radiance and had no problem at all. If you are a "common" size, you likely wont have any problems waiting til you board to get a tux. They will list in the Compass when and where the tux rental times are and there will be someone there to measure you.

When it was delievered to the cabin, the jacket was one size too small and the pants had a tear in the rear seat.........both problems were taken care of within minutes........She actually came to the cabin to get the tux and I had another one an hour or so hanging in the closet when I returned

• 3 weeks later...

We are 10 cruises in and rented a tux on all but one (the 4 nighter). Both DCL and RCCL have this down pat. Get measured or know your sizes and order online. It will be in your room waiting. Only ONCE has my DH had to have the size adjusted - they sent him the wrong size pants. They have plenty onboard to request a switch. Just try it on right away.

We could have purchased a tux many times over, but this is SO easy and SO convenient and so much less to pack!

I have now rented a tux from RCI more times than I can remember. I just wish my sizes remained the same. They are always waiting for me when I get to my cabin and if something is not right, they fix it promptly. Not only that but on long cruises they have given me an extra shirt for the third formal night.

The only possible complaint I can have is that they do not have the selection that their competition has. But the service has been very good and it is charged right to your SeaPass account.

• 3 weeks later...

I've rented a tux via the cruise line and there are certain advantages: no wasted space and weight in the suitcase, and they do the laundry. But it is expensive, and if you are like me - hard to fit with a 19 inch neck- the fit leaves much to be desired, even after they 'adjust' it on board. Due to a role in a play I was in I purchased a used tux for less than it cost to rent. I made sure the fit was right, and have worn it on several occasions. No one ever guesses it's used! But I did get some admiring glances in the ship's elevator, and one woman commented "I wish my husband would wear a tux." The big plus is your wife is proud of you - just look at the professional photos she'll insist on. So, go ahead and purchase a used tux - you'll be glad you did.

I have rented and thought I would never buy a tux. It was easy and no cleaning to worry about.

Then I found a tux jacket at Goodwill, a shirt set with tie and accessories at Kohl's, and ordered some trousers for $20 from the Tuxman on eBay. For less than $50 I had a tux and I bring it with me now. Just like any other suit, I don't dry clean it every time I wear it, so the ongoing cost is not really too bad. I have recently seen tuxes for under $100 on dealnews.com.

Archived