Catacomb and Crypt tour in Rome

diesel1973

We did the Scavi tour at the Vatican last year. That takes you down to the partial excavations of the necropolis, which was covered up when Christianity came into popularity, and St. Peters was built above. It was fascinating. They take about 12 people through at a time and you have to email the Scavi tour people at the Vatican several months in advance to arrange for a reservation. We've never been to the catacombs on the outskirts of Rome.

You might also want to check out www.througheternity.com, the "Underground Rome" tour. I've toured the Scavi, some catacombs, and the Capuchin crypt, but the Through Eternity tour was better... probably the best tour I've ever been on, anywhere.

It was a lot of walking, but you see so much! Including some crypts that you wouldn't get to see any other way (or even know they existed!). Our guide was incredibly knowledgeable and helpful. If the group tour times don't work for your port time, it would be worth setting up a private tour, especially if you can get others on your Roll Call to join in. Tell them I said it was great!

Archived