Weather in London

I know nobody can predict exactly but in general are the weather reports fairly accurate?

It looks like late 60's in London next week so should I leave most of my sleeveless tops at home? Could an unexpected, freak of nature heatwave happen? :p

Thanks!

Yes, indeed, an unexpected freak of nature heatwave could happen, one occurred at the weekend as a matter of fact. Highest temperature in Kent on Saturday, a few miles from London, was 91. Weather forecasts aren't usually all that accurate for more than 24 hours ahead. I'd pack a few sleeveless tops if I were you!

Temperatures here in SE England have been swinging about all over the place over recent weeks. For example yesterday was about 30C although today is forecast to be lower 20's. Not sure where you got your prediction of 60'sF for next week from but would be wary about any forecast more than 5 days ahead and even that could change.

At the end of last week the 5-day Met Office forecast abnormally hot, hot, hot with temps up to 32 celsius and they were certainly right about sunday/monday, though today its much cooler and they're now saying around 20 C (upper 60's F), dry & partly cloudy for the rest of the week, which is much more typical - and ideal for city sight-seeing.

They generally get it right 2 or 3 days out, beyond is pretty suspect.

Certainly take sleeveless, cos you never know.

JB :)

They generally get it right 2 or 3 days out, beyond is pretty suspect.
I agree that they're usually only dependably reliable for 2 to 3 days.

Beyond that, it varies according to what type of weather system is driving the current weather. If we have a settled blocking pattern, then you can rely on the forecasts actually being pretty good for the full 10 days. But if we're getting a stream of oceanic systems coming across, then anything beyond 2/3 days is very volatile. That's what we get for living in the middle of the ocean, because the progress of oceanic systems is always unpredictable and volatile.

I think they're pretty unreliable even for two or three days. They're not always accurate in predicting yesterday's weather - they'll tell you it was raining when you've had a nice day. British weather is far more unpredictable than most.

It looks like late 60's in London next week so should I leave most of my sleeveless tops at home? Could an unexpected, freak of nature heatwave happen? :p
And just so that the curious can know what happened: the forecast was indeed for max temperatures just under 20 degrees for most of this week. But that has changed. Currently it's 25 degrees in London, and feeling warmer than that in the sun.

But the rest of the week currently looks like it might be rather damp.

How is the weather in general around the first 2 weeks of August? I will be in ports such as Holyhead, Guernsey, Dublin, Belfast, Glasgow, Edinburgh,

Invergordon and Kirkwall. Does it rain a lot any of these places?

As I noted to my brother when he asked about the weather in London for our upcoming trip. I told him there will be some of every kind over a week.;)
You'd get on well with my companion, whose fond of observing that we're likely to be in for a spot of weather.
How is the weather in general around the first 2 weeks of August?
As my companion would say, yes there will be some weather.

How is the weather in general around the first 2 weeks of August? I will be in ports such as Holyhead, Guernsey, Dublin, Belfast, Glasgow, Edinburgh,

Invergordon and Kirkwall. Does it rain a lot any of these places?

You've chosen some of the wettest parts of the UK :eek:

But at the driest time of the year :).

Holyhead is on the Isle of Anglesey.

If you can see the welsh mainland from Anglesey, it's going to rain.

If you can't see the mainland, its already raining. :p

JB :D

I just returned the other day from a wonderful trip to the UK & Norway and I wanted to report back about the weather in London...

The weather for our 2-1/2 days in London (7/6-8) was rather cold, windy & wet, but not all day. Two of our mornings started out pouring rain but turned to partly cloudy. It really didn't ruin anything because there is plenty to do indoors in London. We went to the British Museum on one of the rainy mornings; we took the tube and by the time we left the museum it had stopped raining. The other rainy morning we got a later start than we wanted and by the time we boarded the HOHO bus, it stopped raining and we were able to enjoy all the sights. Some of the buses have part of the top area covered. The day we left London it was clear and warmer (go figure).

Bringing layers is the best thing to do, even in the middle of summer.

Cheers!:)

Archived