Cozumel Dive Operators

5pirates

Aldora Divers is great and who we have used many times on past cruises. We also spent a week in Cozumel and used them for multiple days of diving. They operate 6-packs so you will not be crowded. Women are placed on HP steel 100 tanks, men on 120's, so bottom time will be a non-issue. They will give you as much bottom time as you want. During the surface interval they take you to a beach/restaurant area where you can just hang out on the beach or get food or drink. It is not a beach that the cruiseships use, so it isn't crowded. Surface interval is usually 2 hours so you have plenty of time to relax between dives.

Their shop is in town and they are not allowed to pick you up at the cruise ship dock. However, upon return, ask them to drop you at the closest pier to your ship and they will do that (not the cruiseship pier, but the next closest one).

Carnvial uses SANDDOLLAR SPORTS in Cozumel.

Every time I been to Cozumel and dove I have used them. I like them. They pick you up at thre port and you take a 15 min boat ride to go get equipt(if you don't bring your own), then out to the dive sight which is rather close (approx 5 min ride.)

Surface Interval is back at the shop, they have offered water and fruit as a snack.

Second dive is very close to the dock where the shop is.

I like them. Now having said that, I have been lucky. Yes, there are alot of divers sometimes but I ALWAYS seem to be on the less occupied boat, so the "cattle boat" fell has never happened.

Also they offered a video of the dives. I got one back in sept 2009. I always tell my wife how great the diving is in Cozumel and when she saw how clear the water is, now she understands why I LOVE diving in Cozumel so much

Aldora Divers is great and who we have used many times on past cruises. We also spent a week in Cozumel and used them for multiple days of diving. They operate 6-packs so you will not be crowded. Women are placed on HP steel 100 tanks, men on 120's, so bottom time will be a non-issue. They will give you as much bottom time as you want. During the surface interval they take you to a beach/restaurant area where you can just hang out on the beach or get food or drink. It is not a beach that the cruiseships use, so it isn't crowded. Surface interval is usually 2 hours so you have plenty of time to relax between dives.

Their shop is in town and they are not allowed to pick you up at the cruise ship dock. However, upon return, ask them to drop you at the closest pier to your ship and they will do that (not the cruiseship pier, but the next closest one).

Right now I have trip planned with dive with Allison.

I had identified Aldora as high on the list of possible dive shops then started to review all associated cost. Can you confirm the total cost and tank size for men? I see the cost as $89 for dive $20 for gear and then park fee that I thinks is $21. When did you dive with them and at what total cost.

As for the large tanks do you remember much about your dive with depths and bottom time? Being new I seem to be cutting the dives ate approx 45-60 feet to 43-45 min. The large tanks could maybe keep me down 60+ minutes. I realize there are lots of variables.

Thanks

John

I had identified Aldora as high on the list of possible dive shops then started to review all associated cost. Can you confirm the total cost and tank size for men? I see the cost as $89 for dive $20 for gear and then park fee that I thinks is $21. When did you dive with them and at what total cost.

As for the large tanks do you remember much about your dive with depths and bottom time? Being new I seem to be cutting the dives ate approx 45-60 feet to 43-45 min. The large tanks could maybe keep me down 60+ minutes. I realize there are lots of variables.

Thanks

John

I can confirm the 120's for men and 100's for women. We have never seen anything but those sizes in all the times we've dove with Aldora. Usually the divemaster on your boat will ask what sites everyone wants to do and do his best to accomodate you. If weather or waves are a concern on that particular day, you may be limited in how far south they are able to take you, but they do their best. In my experience, the first dive has usually maxed out around 80-85 feet and the 2nd around 60-65 feet. BUT, if you want to do shallower dives, they will accomodate you. We have never had a dive less than 60 minutes with them, and have gone as long as 90 minutes. If you are used to diving on aluminum 80's, you will be shocked at how long you will last on a 120.

I will have to dig out my receipts to see the actual cost, but that park fee sounds much higher than I remember. I can't speak for the gear price, as we always bring our own with us.

Thanks

John

We just got back from the Carnival Legend, and I dove with Aldora in Coz. As noted, they do use 120s for men, and 100s for women. I can't put my hands on the receipt right now, but I seem to recall a total of $129 including rental BCD and reg. First dive was at Palancar Caves, max depth of 82 feet, bottom time of 75 minutes. Second dive was slightly shallower and a few minutes longer. Although somewhat more expensive than other ops, they did provide exceptional personalized service, and with the longer bottom times I thought it worth it. The other nice thing for us was the surface interval at Mr. Sancho's - I had sent my wife and kids there for the day, so I got to meet them for lunch.

• 3 weeks later...

Will you let me know how Diving with Alison was? I e-mailed her dive shop tonight to ask for information for my husband's and my cruise in December. Any information you can provide about your experience would be great. Thanks!

Alison was our choice both times we cruised into Cozumel. She was absolutely fantastic for us and we would dive/snorkel with her again. We reserved the boat with both snorkelers and divers and there were individuals responsible for both groups. Cherie

According to Carnivals Discover Scuba Excursion you can not bring an underwater camera...can anyone confirm this? We did the same excursion earlier this year in St. Thomas with Carnival and this was not the case... I looked on the Sand Dollar Sports site per a previous poster but couldn't find any info.

We did a "Discover Scuba" with Eagle Ray Divers three years ago and based on those dives we got certified and now have almost 50 dives. We went with "Dive with Alison" last time and she was wonderful. Great big homemade cookies for SI as well....Yummmm!!

According to Carnivals Discover Scuba Excursion you can not bring an underwater camera...can anyone confirm this? We did the same excursion earlier this year in St. Thomas with Carnival and this was not the case... I looked on the Sand Dollar Sports site per a previous poster but couldn't find any info.

Yes, and it should be the rule for any beginner scuba excursion. They have a photographer that will take your pic underwater ($12 each or 2 for $20). The DM's at Sand Dollar were really good, and the experience was enough to convince my wife to get certified :)

I can't see the problem with a one time use underwater camera. We got some nice pictures. OK the person doing there first dive may not be the one to use it (task loading) but any certified diver going along for the ride should.

I have done discover scuba 3 times with my family/friends but have over 100 dives.. This is not unusual on cruise line excursions as it is not a dedicated dive trip and people like to stay together.

Archived