A question re polls and posting

CHAMPAGNELASS

Am I correct in my observation that when someone posts a thread regarding a poll asking for Celebrity cruisers to vote on a subject regarding Celebrity cruises ,that persons from any other cruise line forum can vote on it and try to sway the poll to their preference , just to cause mischief.

It would seem to me that on this site ,some people, albeit happy cruisers

, havent cruised with Celebrity for some years ,perhaps never ,

and probably never will, but are intent on winding Celebrity cruisers up for their own amusement .

Do Celebrity regulars do the same to wind up the posters from other lines or are you all a much more grown up ,civilized bunch of people ? :)

I think most people are honest and not playing games, but I'm sure it does happen. Best not to consider any poll here as accurate, just a general indicator at best. Besides, asking a poll question that won't generate a biased result is a science in itself-- just ask the folks at Gallup.

And it does happen that people will post some outrageous things in order to poke the hornet's nest, then sit back and watch the fun. I have a name for those people. Too bad I can't say it, but it involves a body orifice.

Am I correct in my observation that when someone posts a thread regarding a poll asking for Celebrity cruisers to vote on a subject regarding Celebrity cruises ,that persons from any other cruise line forum can vote on it and try to sway the poll to their preference , just to cause mischief.

The same applies to every thread. Questions concerning food, dress code :rolleyes: formal nights, cruise experience etc all gather responses from many people who have never, or seldom, cruised on this line. The most important sense one has to develop on any public board is a "crap detector" so that one can separate fact from fiction. I like to see the cruise history of respondents whenever a post diverges from my own point of view, which is of course totally unbiased. ;)

The same applies to every thread. Questions concerning food, dress code :rolleyes: formal nights, cruise experience etc all gather responses from many people who have never, or seldom, cruised on this line. The most important sense one has to develop on any public board is a "crap detector" so that one can separate fact from fiction. I like to see the cruise history of respondents whenever a post diverges from my own point of view, which is of course totally unbiased. ;)

Agreed. And not only do trolls hang out in different sub-sections of CC, they are on every forum, every poll and every blog, anywhere on the internet. Never trust a product review, for example, that is either exceedingly glowing or exceedingly scathing - there could be an underlying motive.

I tend to approach reviews and pretty much anything else on the Internet by using the Olympic scoring system: throw out the high score and the low score, and try to find something accurate with what's left... of course even (especially?!) there you'll find bias and corruption. ;)

Thankyou for your replies.

I would like to think that the wind up merchants are in the minority and I hope that soon they will find a more meaningful and constructive way of spending their time than trolling the Cruise Critic forum looking for arguments for their own amusement.

Its so much better to go through life making friends rather than enemies :)

T The most important sense one has to develop on any public board is a "crap detector" so that one can separate fact from fiction. ;)

Hahahahaaaaa! I call it my "crapometer" and mine is on all the time (not just on these boards!) :eek::p

• 2 weeks later...
Agreed. And not only do trolls hang out in different sub-sections of CC, they are on every forum, every poll and every blog, anywhere on the internet. Never trust a product review, for example, that is either exceedingly glowing or exceedingly scathing - there could be an underlying motive.

PS90, I agree with you. However, I do think there are a few people who have only posted exceedingly glowing reviews on Celebrity, that really believe what they post. My reaction to them is that these posters are less critical and easier to please than I am.

I haven't cruised before but my first cruise is booked and I chose Celebrity after doing research. Yes, I think that people do post remarks to cause 'fun' :rolleyes: who have not cruised Celebrity or even have one booked with Celebrity. I checked one of the posters threads on one of the active poll threads and lo and behold most of her posts were on another cruise line forum about her upcoming cruises there - and it wasn't Celebrity.

I haven't cruised before but my first cruise is booked and I chose Celebrity after doing research. Yes, I think that people do post remarks to cause 'fun' :rolleyes: who have not cruised Celebrity or even have one booked with Celebrity. I checked one of the posters threads on one of the active poll threads and lo and behold most of her posts were on another cruise line forum about her upcoming cruises there - and it wasn't Celebrity.

Tenn4ever, welcome to the wonderful world of cruising. I am sure that you will love your upcoming Celebrity cruise :)

I'll give you an example. Many years ago when Disney first came out with their ships they had a very, very loyal following. They followed these boards and basically didn't like anyone posting the slightest negative comment on the board about Disney. People actually got IM'S from Disney nuts critical of their negative comments. The Disney board isn't very popular anymore as there are other places to go. Anyway, at one point, some cruise ship had a higher rating than one of the Disney ships. There was an organized effort on the part of those on that board until the Disney #1.

Archived