self disembarkation on HAL in Seattle?

World Gallery

We have never done the self disembarkation on any ship and have some questions.

Is you choose this option, can you leave at any time during the process or must you leave at the very first possible time they offer? Or is there a time given to those with self disembarkation?

We want to book a food tour at Pike's Market for 10:00AM. We don't want to be late but don't want to get there too early either.

How long does it take to get through customs in Seattle (or do you even have to go through customs?)

Thanks.

I choose to do this in San Diego, so may differ not sure. The Immigration in San Diego is done on board before they begin disembarkation.

Then based on what you have organised they call you in groups. From memory you get a form a few days before the end of the cruise that you either fill in saying you have the HAL transfers booked or making your plans known I think you can sort of choose anytime and you should get your colour grouping in line with this, to disembark.

If they do the immigration onboard then you must wait until US customs clears everyone before disembarkation starts.

On our cruise -- Amsterdam -- Seattle -- self-disembarkation was called at 8 AM after the ship had been cleared.

All self-disembarkation must get off the ship right away so as to free up the elevators for the next group to be called -- some of them really carry off a lot of stuff.

Once in the terminal you procede to the doors -- get in a line -- show your passports and turn in your customs form -- all went quickly.

We want to book a food tour at Pike's Market for 10:00AM. We don't want to be late but don't want to get there too early either.

Thanks

There are some nice little bakery/coffee shops that open early in the strip of stores in front of the main market that you can enjoy while waiting for your tour and there are other stores that will be opening and you can browse. The PP Market area gets going early in the morning.

On our cruise -- Amsterdam -- Seattle -- self-disembarkation was called at 8 AM after the ship had been cleared.

All self-disembarkation must get off the ship right away so as to free up the elevators for the next group to be called -- some of them really carry off a lot of stuff.

Once in the terminal you procede to the doors -- get in a line -- show your passports and turn in your customs form -- all went quickly.

Thanks for this, and thanks to the OP for asking. I'd been wondering the same thing about self-disembarkation.

Hi,

we selected "suite independent debarkation". Our debarkation letter showed an 8-9:15 time slot. We went to the Pinnacle for breakfast just before 8 and were at the exit (level 2 opposite Pinnacle) at about 9. It was a bit chaotic as there were many people standing there waiting for their baggage tag color to be called/released - of course they tell you not to do that. But we nudged our way through (we only had carry on) and made it off without too much trouble. Very quick once off the ship. Bags were in the colored zone and were together, no waiting at customs and just a casual nod from them and a quick look at the passports and we were out. Very, very easy.

BTW loved every minute of our Westerdam week. Have a great time.

We would much rather get up early and get off early - it just gets uglier as everyone else comes down to disembark. I'd much rather find a relaxing place ashore. We self disembark at the earliest time possible and find that it is much more pleasant. When we disembarked in Seattle from our Amsterdam cruise everyone on the pier, from the customs folks to the shuttle dispatcher were fresh for the day and hadn't yet faced the cranky folks who no doubt disembarked later. We are polite and have everything well prepared for customs and have never had any problems or delays.

Since we were in a deluxe suite on the Amsterdam -- we also got the notice that we could disembark the ship any time between 8 and 9:15. We chose to leave at 8:30 after a relaxing last breakfast.

Everything went well except trying to get a porter to take our luggage out to the limo.

DH had to stand in a line about 15 minutes before 1 of 4 porters assgigned to the HAL area became available. HAL has only 4 porters working -- why so few? We were told by a representative that HAL has the impression that everyone can handle their own luggage to get out of the terminal and to their mode of transportation.

HELLO HAL -- this is 14 day cruise -- not a 7 day cruise -- and people tend to have more luggage on a longer cruise!!

As mentioned, you are the first to get off, they alloy, as I recall a 15 min window before they start the scheduled debarking.

If you dont take advantage of this window of time the you must adhere to the specific time scheduled for your cabin.

That said, I love it and its the only way I do it now. You walz through customs 2 min total with no one in line. You dont have to play the look for the bag game, not to mention stand in line for the cab group, and tips to the legion of longshoremen waiting.

I would forget the pike market tour on the end..you will ne at a low ebb and tired. Consider doing it on the beginning.... you have 5 hours before sailing !!! ( and are fresh and excited)

On an Alaska cruise 2 years ago I took less than 15 min from the cabin on the ship to sitting in a cab on the way to the train station in Seattle.

. ( The train to Santa Barbara and San Diego departs at 0945 from Seattle and we choose ir as a delightful end to the cruise... a rail cruise)

I also did this in Flordia this past november. off the much larger New Amsterdam... and it took 18 min cabin to airport shuttle seat.

While getting off may appeal to some, I feel it comes at a price of much wasted and expensive time which you cant utilize.

Sorry for rehashing old topic but I'm still not clear how this will work.

We have a 12noon flight out of SeaTAC. I was thinking of reserving the shuttle express to meet us at the pier.

How will I find this van with thousands of people getting off the ship?

We have a 12noon flight out of SeaTAC. I was thinking of reserving the shuttle express to meet us at the pier.

While disembarkation was super easy in Seattle the port was crazy busy. I don't know how many ships are at that pier normally but last Sunday there were 3 Princess, HAL and NCL. It was pretty much a zoo but organized at the same time if that makes sense. Like KK said there was an absence of porters. I didn't see any in the Princess area. I have no idea how shuttle would find you. I wonder if they can tell you where they would be so you can head for them.

Thanks for the headsup Lorekauf! Maybe it would just be easier to go out and get a taxi? There will be only 2 of us. With that many cruise ships hopefully there won't be a shortage of taxis??

There were a ton of taxis last month when we were on the Oosterdam. They were all cued up about a 1/4 mile away waiting to be called. It was organized chaos, but doable.

Do consider Luggage Direct if that is an option for you. The check-in lines at the airport or going to be long. If you do Luggage direct, it will cost you $38 for the two of you, but they'll take your luggage from the ship and check it in at the airport for you. Better yet, you'll receive your boarding passes onboard and thus can go straight through to security when you arrive at the airport.

We had a 1:45 flight and had plenty of time, but it took us nearly an hour to check luggage once we were at the airport.

Thanks for the headsup Lorekauf! Maybe it would just be easier to go out and get a taxi? There will be only 2 of us. With that many cruise ships hopefully there won't be a shortage of taxis??

My last post was poorly worded. I meant to say there was 3 ships altogether....not 3 Princess ships plus the others:D. I agree with the last poster. There seemed to be plenty of cabs. I took a Princess transfer but the line was long for that but it worked ok. I did get to the airport by about 10am and I think I was off the ship by 9am. Security was a PITA in Seattle. I think you may be better with a cab then the shuttle.

The ground transportation pickup area is a zoo, but I did not have any trouble finding my shuttle to offsite parking. I saw several uniformed/tagged ground transportation employees corralling their people so I think you will locate your shuttle express folks fairly readily. The commercial operators all pick up from the same "island" outside.

My perspective is from 9:30AM with Princess also unloading at pier 91. If you are off early I would think it would be even easier. Hope it works out well for you. BTW agree that SEAtac checkin/security are a pain.

Archived