Beware of open passage bookings

gsarnow

We were not told by the future booking agent that booking an open passage for a future cruise is not applicable with special fares including senior discounts, geographic discounts, happy hours discounts,. etc. etc. etc. we were told to get our best deal and then we would also get the open passage on board credit...not so easy...ask for all of the exceptions...

Since when? It's been public that you can't combine it with any other offer from Celebrity but afaik you can combine it with resident or senior rates. I've also read that yes you can use it with Tuesday specials.

We tried to use a Passages with a Happy Hour Special back in 2009. Our TA was unable to book it, so she contacted her sales rep. He wasn't able to help. It was a no go for us. We just went with the Happy Hour - much better deal. Still have the Passages.

When we purchased a Celebrity Passages on our last cruise, we did despite that fact that the future cruise agent said that it cannot be used to book a Happy Hour Special.

With the new rules regarding OBC when the price goes down after final payment, I doubt if we will book onboard in the future, as we have done on all our recent cruises. We're going to try to wait & book a happy hour special for our next cruise, & future cruises, & save the Passages for when we are looking for a specific cabin.

The problem is the discipline it takes for us not to have a specific cruise booked in the future!:D

We tried to use a Passages with a Happy Hour Special back in 2009. Our TA was unable to book it, so she contacted her sales rep. He wasn't able to help. It was a no go for us. We just went with the Happy Hour - much better deal. Still have the Passages.

Celebrity Passages:

(Terms and conditions/a.k.a. fine print)

"....Celebrity Passages Onboard Credit is not combinable with discount offers. Converting a Celebrity Passages account to select restricted fares is prohibited..... Guest may apply the value of their Celebrity Passages account against the cost of a Celebrity Cruises individual or group cruise. A Celebrity Passages account may be transferred into a Group. Captain's Club Discounts, Savings Certificates, plus shareholder onboard credits and other onboard credit or dollars off promotions are not combinable with the onboard credit for booking a Celebrity Passages or any other future cruise onboard. There is no expiration date on a Celebrity Passages account. A Celebrity Passages account is not valid on any other cruise line, including any ofther affiliates of Celebrity." (02/10)

We were not told by the future booking agent that booking an open passage for a future cruise is not applicable with special fares including senior discounts, geographic discounts, happy hours discounts,. etc. etc. etc. we were told to get our best deal and then we would also get the open passage on board credit...not so easy...ask for all of the exceptions...

With all the rules that they are imposing it is making it very difficult for me to be a loyal customer. I understand that obc's are not additive. However I think that a price reduction ej senior discount, wow sales etc. are not the same thing and should be honored with the passage.

I called Captains Club loyalty desk yesterday to check if the 'Exclusive private booking' was available to UK customers, was assured it was AND that I could use my 'open passage' with this deal.

I agree with Stanjj111 - it has become more complicated to retain loyalty when the offers vary according to where you live, who you ask etc.

I will try to book the cruise I want today and see what happens.

I did it! I selected a cruise(Gems of Asia January 2013) with my TA, was asked to call X and pass the open passage reference number over to her, as we hadn't named her when purchasing it onboard.

Then, X confirmed Captains Club £150 loyalty price reduction (per verandah stateroom) and $200 obc was permissible with this- even for UK clients.

Took several calls and lots of time, but it shows it can work - shame the offers are so complicated that the customer has to stay 'cute' . My TA must dread my calls:D

Thank you CC bloggers - where would we be without you??!!!;)

I called Captains Club loyalty desk yesterday to check if the 'Exclusive private booking' was available to UK customers, was assured it was AND that I could use my 'open passage' with this deal.

I agree with Stanjj111 - it has become more complicated to retain loyalty when the offers vary according to where you live, who you ask etc.

I will try to book the cruise I want today and see what happens.

Do you know if Tuesday specials, happy hours or wow sales apply in the UK. If so, do you have to book direct or can you use a TA? Thanks

Since I posted my last message I have had an email informing me that I cannot combine the obc deals - private booking and open passage after all.

Sorry if I misled anyone

Waggie

Purchased first open passages on my last cruise last year for the first time. Tried to use it only to find out I had to book thru Celebrity not my TA so finally gave up and had Celebrity refund my money. What a joke.

Since I posted my last message I have had an email informing me that I cannot combine the obc deals - private booking and open passage after all.

Sorry if I misled anyone

Waggie

Hi Waggie, I was interested to read your message as I too had purchased an open passage whilst onboard the Eclispe in May. A month later I booked via my TA (T.Cook) a 2013 cruise in which got my £150 off veranda and $200 OBC. I did ask the question about my $300 OBC from my open passage being combinable with the $200 promotion and asked my TA to confirm this with Celebrity. She came back and said they were combinable. Now I'm not too sure after you say you received an email, was the email direct from Celebrity?? Think I might need to ger my TA to investigate as I would rather have the $300 OBC than $200 if I can only have one of them.;)

Jo

gojocruise

I would check with your TA. Mine checked at the time of booking and was assured it was OK.

Captains Club loyalty rep.emailed me today - they appear to monitor these threads and has advised me of the 'correct' offer.

I am glad you refer to $300 as that is what I have on the confirmation leaflet.

Perhaps they will see from this thread how many customers feel aggrieved?

You cannot combine the Captain's Club Private Booking Offer with Celebrity Passages or lower group rates that are in some groups.

You can, however, combine lower group rates and group obc with the Celebrity Passages.

That's an easy fix! Book through X then transfer it to the TA. Actually, shouldn't the TA been able to take care of that for you?

It is very simple to do. There is a fax transfer form under 'forms' on Celebrity's website. TAs email the form to the client, who fills it out and faxes it in. Within 24-48 hours, it should be transferred (sometimes it gets lost, so I always ask that clients scan it, if possible, and send it to me for a quick fix while I talk with the cruise line).

You can either transfer the Celebrity Passages to a TA, or book the cruise yourself and then transfer it to a TA. Just be aware of any time limits in transferring the booked cruise to a TA.

Archived