Aqua Class questions

OceanCruise

We have booked our 8th Celebrity Cruise but it will be our first time in Aqua Class and Solstice class ship (Silhouette). I have read some negative comments that the menu in Blu is too limited so am now questioning whether we should change and just pay less for Concierge Class. We have always enjoyed the food in the main dining room and specialty restaurants both on Celebrity and RCCL. Please describe what kinds of items are on the dinner menu in Blu. Is it overly healthy and plain or are there some items that are typically served in the main dining room such as steak, turkey, shrimp cocktail, Caesar salad, ice cream, etc? For breakfast in Blu, is the coffee and oatmeal an upgrade from the main buffet? Also, what is the Persian Garden?

I did not find Blu to be "health food" - that is more the Aqua Spa Cafe. Most people who have dined in Blu prefer Blu over the main dining room (MDR) and consider it to be a step up from the MDR. The main difference is that the MDR is like a large banquet hall experience and the food is pre-plated whereas Blu is like dining in an actual restaurant and food is cooked to order. While Blu does use less heavy sauces than the MDR, there are plenty of robust items served such as filet mignon, rack of lamb etc. that are far from health food.

We have booked our 8th Celebrity Cruise but it will be our first time in Aqua Class and Solstice class ship (Silhouette). I have read some negative comments that the menu in Blu is too limited so am now questioning whether we should change and just pay less for Concierge Class. We have always enjoyed the food in the main dining room and specialty restaurants both on Celebrity and RCCL. Please describe what kinds of items are on the dinner menu in Blu. Is it overly healthy and plain or are there some items that are typically served in the main dining room such as steak, turkey, shrimp cocktail, Caesar salad, ice cream, etc? For breakfast in Blu, is the coffee and oatmeal an upgrade from the main buffet? Also, what is the Persian Garden?

There are dozens of threads discussing Blu. A quick search will yield answers to all your questions. I am among the vast majority who love Aqua Class and Blu. I am a steak lover and really enjoy the steaks served in Blu. Not really "heath food", but somewhat healthier. If you give them notice they will prepare what you like. Unlike the MDR where food is prepared on a production line, each meal in Blu is made to order and inspected before being served. They serve a wonderful breakfast each morning. I asked for and received a dish with two types of pancakes topped with berries and whipped cream. Not exactly health food. The Persian Garden is a room with steam rooms and heated loungers that's free for AQ guests. Others pay to use it.

I understand your concerns, as I had them too when I first booked Aqua. It is definitely not "health" food, just food that is cooked fresh with smaller portions and less sauces. There is an everyday menu that has steak, chicken and fish and you can request some things that are not on the menu such as shrimp cocktail, caesar's salad, creme brulee, etc. You do not HAVE to eat here even though it is your assigned dining room. You can also eat in the MDR on a space available basis on their select dining option. We would check out the menu that is posted each day in front of Blu and the MDR and decide where we wanted to eat. Blu really does have wonderful food. The first night is filet mignon, which is very good and the second formal night is lobster tail, and not the lobster medley you get in the MDR. Here are some menus with pictures for you to check out to see what they offer.

https://docs.google.com/#folders/folder.0.0B5BK-JzLUuM2YzIzOWI0OWYtZWE5Ny00NWRiLTg2NTctNGRiMDllNzNkZDMx

Blu is smaller and more intimate with mostly two top tables. Breakfast is really good too and they have a museli cart they bring around and make it tableside.

Persian Gardens is in the spa with heated tile loungers. You normally have to pay for this. The relaxation room is at the front of the ship, right down the hall from Aqua. Here are some pictures to see what they are, as well as cabin and shower information (love, love the shower).

Blu:

041.jpg

054.jpg

067.jpg

Persian Garden:

Persian_Garden_3.jpg

Relaxation Room:

Celebrity_Solstice_Relaxation_Room_1.jpg

I really wanted to book AQ class on the Silhouette but I've read some reviews that the cabins are noisy in the AM when the staff are moving the chairs on the deck above. I feel we'll be missing out on something special in Blu but would hate to be woken up by the noise.

For those that have been in AQ any thoughts on the noise aspect? We did book C2 and still have time to change.

We were in cabin 1601 on the Equinox this past January. There is only one evening where we heard noise and it was the night of the deck party. Otherwise, it was great and we had super neighbors !! Great balcony as well :D

Ah Blu!! We both loved Blu and its intimacy !! The food was absolutely delicious, freshly prepared and the portions were perfect. We were made to feel so special and the staff was so courteous, constantly smiling and so welcoming.

We are booked again in a aquaclass for January 2013 and would not cruise on the Solstice class in any other type of cabin

I really wanted to book AQ class on the Silhouette but I've read some reviews that the cabins are noisy in the AM when the staff are moving the chairs on the deck above. I feel we'll be missing out on something special in Blu but would hate to be woken up by the noise.

For those that have been in AQ any thoughts on the noise aspect? We did book C2 and still have time to change.

We just did a transatlantic on the Equinox, cabin 1511, five rooms back from the bridge. The cabins in the front of the ship have no overhang so there is lots of sun and ours was virtually silent. We heard no complaints from our friends in other AQ rooms either. Blu is fantastic as everyone said not health food but more healthy preparations. We ate in the MDR for brunch one day and were surprised by the extra salt that was added to the food. The only thing we found better than Blu was Murano, and even that was close. Breakfast was great too! We booked another TA for next year in AQ as well.

Kevin

Keep in mind that if you see something on the MDR Menu, you can still go to Blu and ask for it, it will be yours! Best of both worlds.

I do not believe that is always the case. Blu often requests some advance notice for special requests. Sometimes you may have a waiter willing to retrieve food from the MDR with no notice, but one should not count on a waiter to do this; that is definitely above and beyond expectations.

There are dozens of threads discussing Blu. A quick search will yield answers to all your questions. I am among the vast majority who love Aqua Class and Blu. I am a steak lover and really enjoy the steaks served in Blu. Not really "heath food", but somewhat healthier. If you give them notice they will prepare what you like. Unlike the MDR where food is prepared on a production line, each meal in Blu is made to order and inspected before being served. They serve a wonderful breakfast each morning. I asked for and received a dish with two types of pancakes topped with berries and whipped cream. Not exactly health food. The Persian Garden is a room with steam rooms and heated loungers that's free for AQ guests. Others pay to use it.

S T E A K - mmmmm :) ... can u order a particular cut? Also when you refer to Blu preparing what you like if you give them notice, is that the evening before - if we show up at the same time each evening, can we request the same sitting area - that way you always will have the same wait staff who will then get to know you

They were not keen on Eclipse to get meals from the MDR in Blu, our waiter told us the Chefs don't like it.

So, if someone does get a 'MDR' meal, has it actually been cooked in Blu's galley?

Richard

FM

On our recent 18 night B2B on Eclipse, we had the same waiter on 17 nights. You may have to wait a few minutes for a table, but there was only one night half way through the cruise we were unable to get 'our' waiter. Up to then we had been going between 7.30pm and 8.30pm, so decided to try an earlier time. We then went anytime from 6pm to 6.30pm, and got 'our' waiter every time, and usual a window or next to window seat as well. We reached Elite tier on the cruise, so on our next cruise in October plan to go to the Elite 'happy hour' at 5pm, then head for Blu shortly after 6pm.

Incidently, in a recent press release, they described Blu as 'the chic, Mediterranean-themed speciality restaurant, Blu, offered exclusively for AquaClass guests', which is a far better description than the 'healthy' one which has been used previously.

Richard

FM

On our recent 18 night B2B on Eclipse, we had the same waiter on 17 nights. You may have to wait a few minutes for a table, but there was only one night half way through the cruise we were unable to get 'our' waiter. Up to then we had been going between 7.30pm and 8.30pm, so decided to try an earlier time.

Richard

Our waiter was obviously a good one - I know they all are but special recommendations by name are nice - can you share this and are you aware if he is on until end of August when we join just 8 weeks to go :)

FM

On our recent 18 night B2B on Eclipse, we had the same waiter on 17 nights. You may have to wait a few minutes for a table, but there was only one night half way through the cruise we were unable to get 'our' waiter. Up to then we had been going between 7.30pm and 8.30pm, so decided to try an earlier time. We then went anytime from 6pm to 6.30pm, and got 'our' waiter every time, and usual a window or next to window seat as well. We reached Elite tier on the cruise, so on our next cruise in October plan to go to the Elite 'happy hour' at 5pm, then head for Blu shortly after 6pm.

Incidently, in a recent press release, they described Blu as 'the chic, Mediterranean-themed speciality restaurant, Blu, offered exclusively for AquaClass guests', which is a far better description than the 'healthy' one which has been used previously.

Richard

We're early diners so that is good to know ...

Archived