NCL Epic Excursions - Med

In a few weeks we'll be in the Med on the Epic in August and I'm trying to settle on our excursions in Italy. Originally, I was ready to book our tours through RIL based on CC recommendations, but I did a big analysis on many of the NCL offerings vs. private...and if I add in some guides and admission charges to museums, etc. the gap does close in between the two options (of course that is if our family does the private on our own without sharing)...add on top of that the ability to charge the NCL excursions on a credit card (getting points) and the price gap closes in even further. I know the advantage of RIL would be private group, customizable excursion...NCL, guarantee to get back on board at the end of the day.

So I am wondering if anyone has recently done any of the NCL excursions in the Med (Livorno, Cittavecchia, Naples ports) or if they've heard anything from fellow passengers who might have done them? I've read some reviews on NCL, but thought I'd check in here as well for feedback.

I think you hit the nail on the head with the difference - it's all about customizability. On a private excursion, you get to choose what you want to do and when, and there is no waiting for the inevitable stragglers on group trips. Plus, following a crowd in some places makes you miss out on some of the "tour" - because maybe you can't hear the guide, or your interest wanders your attention elsewhere.

The one thing I will add is that many of these ports can be done much cheaper than using RIL by using trains. In a lot of ports on this itinerary, taking the train is the very easiest way to go - and sometimes the fastest as well. Then you can pick your sights, pre-purchase entrance and perhaps a guide, etc - for much less cash. You can pick which ports make the most sense to hire a private driver and spend the extra cash, and which are easiest to do by train. For the three ports you mention, we always choose to access Rome by train, at Naples we have been to Pompeii and Sorrento by train and Capri by boat on our own, and for Livorno, we chose a private driver for the distance and ease of seeing everything we wanted. Not everyone is comfortable with this option, I understand, but it is an excellent alternative. Only you can decide if this is something you are comfortable with.

Robin

Edited by Fishbait17

We have taken two NCL Med cruises and some we do our selves, others we take an NCL excursion, also, some we hire a local tour company.

We are taking the Epic Western Med next May and would be interested in any opinions on choices.

We are likely to do Naples ourselves taking the train to Pompeii, etc.

Rome, we have been there twice and will probably opt to go to Ostia Antica or Tarquinia.

We will skip Florence, since we were just there last year (probably go to Lucca, perhaps on NCL excursion).

Haven't decided what to do on the French ports. We have been to Monte Carlo and wish to go elsewhere.

...and if I add in some guides and admission charges to museums, etc. the gap does close in between the two options (of course that is if our family does the private on our own without sharing) .

This is the part of your comment that sticks out the most to me, and we have been planning our first trip to Europe with NCL for almost a year.

The savings on a Private Tour is mainly because you are splitting the costs among 8 people. That was the reason we even started looking at private tour companies. If you are paying the whole bill that 8 people otherwise would have split, then naturally the cost will be higher.

Add in the ability to customize our stops, and having locals to communicate with and make our requests known before we get to Europe, it was an easy call for our group.

Then the fact that the smaller size of the private group allows for changes along the way, whereas the NCL tour must deliver what they promised at the start, even if you see something else along the way you'd like to visit.

Whatever you decide, the important thing to remember is that the shore excursion expenses are just another element of the TOTAL cost of the trip -- much like airfare, hotel stays, and cruise fare. Each seems large on their own, but are really just a small component of the total vacation cost. Whatever the TOTAL cost of your vacation, I'm sure it will be justifiable in the end.

Let us know what you decide!

:)

Edited by NEW 2 CRUISIN

We went in May and I can report on what we did:

(Great NCL excursions in Marsailles to Avignon and in Majorca but I don't think you are going there unless you are attached to the four day one before the fall TA)

Rome: It's easy to take the train as the station is about a 10 minute walk from the port. This time we got off at San Pietro station and toured the Vatican (bought Museum tickets online ahead of time). If you are there the same day we were, it's the day the Pope speaks. We had tickets for the same time at the museum so we had to go on in there. Crowd was not bad until the Sistine Chapel. Another cruise we took train into Rome and did the sights there. I recommend either of these as cost is 7 euro for all day train. People will be at port selling tickets to the fast train. It is an express but the return is cutting it very close to sailing and people who'd bought the higher cost ticket were on our return train. The 7 euro ticket is sold at the train station, not at the kiosk near the port.

Pisa: Our excursion spent very little time there. If you are interested in more time or climbing the tower, book one specific to that. The climbing one was sold only onboard and the numbers are very limited. You cannot buy that when you get there and hope to get a slot, I don't think. The second part was "Taste of Tuscany" and that was awesome with lots of good food and wine...LOTS of wine.

Pompeii: We had a HORRIBLE guide who did not want to be bothered showing us the popular sites we came to see....and did NOT see. If you can get a private one here or figure out how to take the train there, I'd do it I would not go on my own in Naples as someone a week earlier off a Celebrity ship had been mugged (and died) in the port area.

Herculaneum: We took the half day here and enjoyed it. Much better preserved than Pompeii and much less crowded.

Pisa and Pompeii were NCL excursions. Those had problems as did the NCL Monserrat one we booked for Barcelona. Monserrat is awesome but our guide did not follow the description and made us leave at noon when the description described things you could do at that hour. She said someone had to be at the airport when the description explicitly said no one should be on it unless you had a flight after 5 p.m. A lot of us felt cheated in that we were not allowed to ride the funicular or hear the boys' choir...would have had time for one or the other if description had been honored.

Hope this helps!

We just got back from our med cruise. In Florence we did the NCL expedition and it was just so-so. It would have been nice to have a decent map to look at, the one provided was completely worthless and the tour guide for the morning half was just ok. We were lucky to have stumbled onto a really good restaurant for lunch and then we just walked around for the rest of the day.

Our Pompeii tour was through NCL was the biggest regret. Our tour guide was super boring and there's just not much there. Here's an empty house, there's an empty house, here's the sewer, there's another sewer... At least it was just a half day tour.

We had a private tour for just the 5 of us in Rome. It was the most amazing day ever. We saw more in one day than i thought possible. Our tour guide really knew his stuff and in the afternoon his wife took us personally through the Vatican. I still can't believe how lucky we were and at a price less than half of what NCL offered, we got to see so much more. I never once had a single concern that we would get back to the boat on time, our tour guide was so professional and made sure we left the city in plenty of time to get back to the boat.

After this cruise I'm not sure I will be doing any ship sponsored excursions in the future!

In a few weeks we'll be in the Med on the Epic in August and I'm trying to settle on our excursions in Italy. Originally, I was ready to book our tours through RIL based on CC recommendations, but I did a big analysis on many of the NCL offerings vs. private...and if I add in some guides and admission charges to museums, etc. the gap does close in between the two options (of course that is if our family does the private on our own without sharing)...add on top of that the ability to charge the NCL excursions on a credit card (getting points) and the price gap closes in even further. I know the advantage of RIL would be private group, customizable excursion...NCL, guarantee to get back on board at the end of the day.

So I am wondering if anyone has recently done any of the NCL excursions in the Med (Livorno, Cittavecchia, Naples ports) or if they've heard anything from fellow passengers who might have done them? I've read some reviews on NCL, but thought I'd check in here as well for feedback.

We are doing this cruise in September and have found a private excursion company that accepts credit cards, which was our choices since we didn't want to carry around hundreds of dollars in Euros and even with just 4 of us on the private tours, the cost was less than the ones we checked out done by NCL. If you are interested in the company's name, email me at cole@cei.net.

B. Cole

Isabella and B. Cole....would you mind posting the guides/tours you used?

Hokiepoq...that's disappointing. I am seriously considering the Pompeii/Sorrento tour from NCL because it sounded like a good pace, but not good to hear that your Pompeii guide was subpar.

To all, thanks for your thoughts/experiences. I've been at the computer for 2 days debating all the points and so far all I have is a huge headache! Ugh.

Hokiepoq...that's disappointing. I am seriously considering the Pompeii/Sorrento tour from NCL because it sounded like a good pace, but not good to hear that your Pompeii guide was subpar.

To all, thanks for your thoughts/experiences. I've been at the computer for 2 days debating all the points and so far all I have is a huge headache! Ugh.

I talked to others who'd been on the NCL Pompei tour and seen the things we didn't. It was our guide who deliberately did not take us to the bordello or to the house where the forms of people were as they'd been at the time of the eruption. Others did see these things. We did the half day Pompeii in the a.m. and Herculaneum in the afternoon. We had the same guide in the p.m. He told the same exact info in the p.m. so we knew to wander off and see 10x more than those who stayed to listen. We did enjoy the Herculaneum tour, though, as the only expectation I had there was to see the skeletons I'd heard about and we did see that. The degree of preservation was amazing. Herculaneum was covered by a 40 foot mudslide and remained totally covered until the 1700s. Most of it is still under the current city of Naples. We were the only tour bus there, very pleasant. We'd heard about it on the History Channel or would not have known to go see it. I didn't talk to folks who went on the combo Sorrento/Pompeii one. That might have been okay. Check the reviews on the NCL site. Enjoy your cruise!

We used Miles & Miles.

I have done this cruise often one tour I took with NCL was the San Gennero cathedral and city tour ending with pizza at a local pizzeria. We enjoyed it it was half day the church and museaum were amazing we walked the streets did a little shopping and had a great lunch. I also did a private tour to Poisanto Ravello and it was 8 hrs I felt a little rushed our guide said ok lets get out for a photo op in Amalfi for 10mintes. He also brought us to a resteraunt which was beautiful but it was an hour and a half I am sure they get commision to bring guests there. It was nice but rushed there was 6 of us. Seemed like we spent alot of time in traffic. I also took NCL tour of Sorrento and somewhere else it was relaxed not rushed also only 6 hrs. I won't do an 8hrs tour anymore it almost seems like work. If I take a tour of 4hrs I will take ship tour if I like the location. This year I will take the train to Pompeii. I think you have to decide on your own. I have enjoyed the ship short tours and private ones also. If it makes any difference I travel solo alot so I also consider this in my tours. What I like about 4hr tours is I go back to ship and then can do other things in port. No matter what you decide enjoy

We used Miles & Miles.

I will give a second thumbs up for Miles & Miles. We just used them for Rome, but wished we used them for all 3 ports in Italy. Our Guide, Francesco, was excellent. He took my family of 4 all around Rome and took us to many places that the buses didn't go to. We were able to pick and choose what we saw and had as much time as we wanted at each site. Francesco would tell us about the sites we were driving by and also gave us great information about each site we stopped at. We started off with the "best" cappuccino at a small coffee shop and then went on to enjoy all the major sites. We also had an excellent lunch where he helped us order the authentic Italian food. As part of the tour, we had about 2 1/2 hours at the Vatican with a private tour guide, Fredricka, who was passionate about art and made the Vatican Tour very special for the four of us. One final treat, knowing that we were going to Pompeii the following day, he played a DVD of a BBC special on Pompeii on the way back to the ship. The cost with tip and Vatican tickets was more than $400 less than we would have paid for the four of us on the NCL Exclusive Rome and Vatican Tour and this tour was definitely more exclusive. We could have shared the tour and saved even more money, but I was glad we just did the trip with the four of us.

For Florence and Sorrento/Pompeii, we used NCL tours. The tours were ok. They were bus tours where many buses all go to the same places and you see a lot, but also wait around a lot. My daughter felt claustrophobic in Florence because of all of the crowds. For the Sorrento/Pompeii tour, my wife and I enjoyed Sorrento, but after lunch, even though everyone was ready to leave, we still waited an extra 30 minutes until the tour guide was ready to leave the restaurant and then we rushed through and didn't see much of Pompeii. My daughter and her Fiance went on the Pompeii and Mount Vesuvius tour and loved it. We also had a very good NCL Tour in Palma where we went to a winery. The tour guide was excellent and made this tour better than we would have expected.

Rob

Edited by k9Rulez

The person I was in contact with was Fiorentino Mariano. I believe you will find him at [info@pleasantravel.com]

B. Cole

I will give a second thumbs up for Miles & Miles. We just used them for Rome, but wished we used them for all 3 ports in Italy. Our Guide, Francesco, was excellent. He took my family of 4 all around Rome and took us to many places that the buses didn't go to. We were able to pick and choose what we saw and had as much time as we wanted at each site. Francesco would tell us about the sites we were driving by and also gave us great information about each site we stopped at. We started off with the "best" cappuccino at a small coffee shop and then went on to enjoy all the major sites. We also had an excellent lunch where he helped us order the authentic Italian food. As part of the tour, we had about 2 1/2 hours at the Vatican with a private tour guide, Fredricka, who was passionate about art and made the Vatican Tour very special for the four of us. One final treat, knowing that we were going to Pompeii the following day, he played a DVD of a BBC special on Pompeii on the way back to the ship. The cost with tip and Vatican tickets was more than $400 less than we would have paid for the four of us on the NCL Exclusive Rome and Vatican Tour and this tour was definitely more exclusive. We could have shared the tour and saved even more money, but I was glad we just did the trip with the four of us.

For Florence and Sorrento/Pompeii, we used NCL tours. The tours were ok. They were bus tours where many buses all go to the same places and you see a lot, but also wait around a lot. My daughter felt claustrophobic in Florence because of all of the crowds. For the Sorrento/Pompeii tour, my wife and I enjoyed Sorrento, but after lunch, even though everyone was ready to leave, we still waited an extra 30 minutes until the tour guide was ready to leave the restaurant and then we rushed through and didn't see much of Pompeii. My daughter and her Fiance went on the Pompeii and Mount Vesuvius tour and loved it. We also had a very good NCL Tour in Palma where we went to a winery. The tour guide was excellent and made this tour better than we would have expected.

Rob

Rob,

I checked the website for Miles & Miles. Apparently, they limit their tours to a total of 8 persons in the vehicle. Also, they don't indicate prices. What did M&M charge for the Pompeii, Sorrento and Amalfi Coast?

Rob,

I checked the website for Miles & Miles. Apparently, they limit their tours to a total of 8 persons in the vehicle. Also, they don't indicate prices. What did M&M charge for the Pompeii, Sorrento and Amalfi Coast?

The Rome Private tour was the only tour we took. They did include prices and info for the other ports and we wish we would have taken them. Here is the info that was sent to me for the Naples (I don't think they would mind me sending this):

NAPLES

Port of Call: Naples

Suggested Time Tour Begins : 8:00am

600,00 Euros Price for up to 6 passengers

650,00 Euros Price for up to 8 passengers

This price includes: Pick up at the port and transfer to Pompei & the Amalfi Coast - 2 hour private tour with a local walking guide in Pompei - Visit to the enchanting village of Positano with shopping and a walk on the beach with lunch and breathtaking views of the Sea and the coast- English speaking driver guide - late model comfortable air-conditioned van - Transfer back to the port in timely fashion.

The Rome Private tour was the only tour we took. They did include prices and info for the other ports and we wish we would have taken them. Here is the info that was sent to me for the Naples (I don't think they would mind me sending this):

NAPLES

Port of Call: Naples

Suggested Time Tour Begins : 8:00am

600,00 Euros Price for up to 6 passengers

650,00 Euros Price for up to 8 passengers

This price includes: Pick up at the port and transfer to Pompei & the Amalfi Coast - 2 hour private tour with a local walking guide in Pompei - Visit to the enchanting village of Positano with shopping and a walk on the beach with lunch and breathtaking views of the Sea and the coast- English speaking driver guide - late model comfortable air-conditioned van - Transfer back to the port in timely fashion.

This is 100E for 6 and 73E for 8, very competitive with the NCL tour.

Here is the NCL excursion for $199*

Port: Naples, Italy Destination: Europe

After a scenic drive, you’ll arrive in Pompeii, where you’ll visit the Roman resort buried by volcanic ash. Your tour will take you to the city’s baths, villas and theaters. See the well-preserved frescoes and mosaic-inlaid floors. Plaster casts mark the positions of the fallen who were swiftly overcome by the ashes. After lunch, if time permits, you’ll visit a cameo factory to see how the jewelry is made. Continue along the mountain road, which takes you to one of the picturesque villages of this famous area to explore its quaint streets. Continue along the coast, and take in stunning views at every turn of the winding road. When the Amalfi road closes to traffic (during Holidays), this part of the tour is done by motor boat. The views from the water are simply spectacular. In case of inclement weather and rough seas, the cruise to Amalfi will be substituted by a visit to Sorrento. Note: During summer months expect extreme heat, crowded venues and long lines. We recommend that you dress in layers and bring bottled water

Rob,

Check this website and ask for prices. We found them to be very reasonable and do not have a minimum number for each tour.

http://www.pleasantravel.com/

First, just want to say that I am not a DIY person. So, here's a summary of my experience of private tours vs. ship excursions. I'll use our day in Naples as an example.

Our first cruise with RCI, we booked the ship's excursion to Sorrento/Capri/Pompeii. I remember the cost being about $350 pp. There were 4 of us. This price included lunch and the entry cost for Pompeii. We road in a tour bus with 40-50 other people. Since the group only moves as fast as the slowest person, we spent a lot of time waiting around while the guide gathered everyone together to go to the next stop. Also, when on a tour bus, you will inevitably end up in some souvenir shop that offers a kick back to the tour company for all of the group's purchases. Honestly, at the time I thought we had a wonderful day until I got educated on private tour companies.

For our second cruise, we booked our Rome and Naples days through a private company (not any mentioned previously). They were excellent. Picked us up at the pier as early as possible. This time there were 6 of us, which included my parents in their mid-70's. It was the end of July, so the weather was very hot. Having our own private minivan with air conditioning was a major plus, and we never were bothered by the heat at all. We drove leisurely along the Amalfi coast to Sorrento, stopping along the way for pictures, and had plenty of time to walk around Sorrento. Then we were off to Positano where we also had plenty of time to walk around. Then our guide took us to this quaint little family-owned italian restaurant at the very top of the hill. It was an extra 25E pp, but it ended up being one of the highlights of the day, and there were many highlights. The views were spectacular and the food was absolutely the best italian food I had ever had. Homemade lemoncello too. Then we were off to Pompeii where our tour company had arranged for us to have a private guide. We saw things this time that we did not see the last time. Or, maybe we did see them the last time, but because there were so many people in the tour, we simply did not hear or see it through the crowd. The total cost for this day with the private tour ended up being less than $200 pp, including the Pompeii guide and the lunch in Positano.

If you don't want to DIY, then IMO private tour is the way to go even if the cost difference (private vs. ship) is not significant.

I just recently came back from the Epic Med Cruise and did all the tours on my own with a family of three.

By doing Rome on your own you “experience more”. The ship always arrives at port on Wednesday and that is when the Pope does his morning mass at 10:00am. Taking the train will get you to the Vatican at 9:30am. Its not a jam packed event at all and I was 10ft away from the pope during the pope walk around. Great photo opportunity. I also seen all the main attractions in Rome, Trevi, Spanish, pantheon, Collo, and had a nice pizza lunch!

Pompeii on your own is the best way. The tours looked so boring when I was there. We just bought tickets and walked through it. There isn’t much to see. Afterwards we hop back on the train and went towards Sorrento, walked around then booked our boat tickets to Capri then back to Naples

Side note Florence/Pisa is really easy to do and got back on the ship 2hrs before sailaway! Seen all the main attractions minus going inside Dumo and seeing the naked guy.

Total cost to do all our tours on our own was $190 euros for the three of us during our one week cruise!

I NEVER go on ship excursions and you can check my blog on individuals excursions in the ports you talk about. Private excursions you can customize the entire trip and yes SAVE $$ + you get to meet so new people if you post your excursion for others to cost share. In addition, you avoid the "cattle car" effect on a bus with loads of passengers. I also suggest you check and post on the different ports vice the NCL board. If you need more information, email me at my blog.

Enjoy

cruisinbob

We have done all three, ship's excursion, private tour or do it yourself, depending on the port and my research.

In some cases a ship's excursion is the cheapest and best. I have never had a really bad ship's excursion, but I have had a private tour company that failed to meet us at the port (Split). Fortunately, someone had an international cell, and we called them and within an hour and a half had a mediocre tour. On the other hand, a private tour with fewer persons can be super.

Sometimes doing it yourself is the best.

We just got back from our med cruise. In Florence we did the NCL expedition and it was just so-so. It would have been nice to have a decent map to look at, the one provided was completely worthless and the tour guide for the morning half was just ok. We were lucky to have stumbled onto a really good restaurant for lunch and then we just walked around for the rest of the day.

Our Pompeii tour was through NCL was the biggest regret. Our tour guide was super boring and there's just not much there. Here's an empty house, there's an empty house, here's the sewer, there's another sewer... At least it was just a half day tour.

We had a private tour for just the 5 of us in Rome. It was the most amazing day ever. We saw more in one day than i thought possible. Our tour guide really knew his stuff and in the afternoon his wife took us personally through the Vatican. I still can't believe how lucky we were and at a price less than half of what NCL offered, we got to see so much more. I never once had a single concern that we would get back to the boat on time, our tour guide was so professional and made sure we left the city in plenty of time to get back to the boat.

After this cruise I'm not sure I will be doing any ship sponsored excursions in the future!

Are you allowed to tell us who you used for your private tour in Rome? It sounds awesome!

Doing shared private excursions absolutely made this vacation for us.

I never would have done it without Cruise Critic--so definitely work your Roll Call and find others from your cruise.

We had an OK experience with shareashoreexcursioninitaly.com and great experiences with yourtourinitaly.com.

I posted about my great experience with a private tour company previously on this thread, but could not say the name of the company. However, now that QuercusAlba has mentioned it, I can now tell you that yourtourinitaly was the absolute best. Aldo Monti was our guide in Rome and Dominico was our guide for Naples. They were fantastic.

Edited by phillygirl63