Priceline vrs Hotwire advice

DragonMouse

Using this for the first time in Ft Lauderdale. A little confused.

Thinking of bidding on Beach Area #5 and Downtown #2 via Priceline. I've been reading WAY to much.

1. There will be 3 of us in the room and it really doesn't "ask". After I win do I call and tell them?

2. I was looking at 4 star but they're probably going to be too much. How bad is the 3 1/2 star or even the 3 star? I'm a little nervous about blindly going much lower. Alas it's only going to be one night.

Priceline gives you a room for 2 people. Sometimes you can ask for a room with 2 beds but your request may not be granted. Because of this I would not use Priceline to book a room for more than 2 people. If you use Hotwire it asks you upfront how many people so if you put in "3" you will be fine. Remember once they accept your bid there are no refunds or changes allowed so be sure before you do it.

I would suggest reading all the hotels in the zones you are looking at on priceline and even call the hotel directly to see vacancy...if lots of rooms I would ask the operator that if you book on priceline and only get a room for 2 but you need more, if they will switch you. Some will say sure, some may not give an answer. Any time I book on PL I search the room types and availabilities and if pretty good I will chance it..right after I book and see what room I get I call the hotel and ask for 2 beds, etc...never seem to have a problem switching.

I would suggest reading all the hotels in the zones you are looking at on priceline and even call the hotel directly to see vacancy...if lots of rooms I would ask the operator that if you book on priceline and only get a room for 2 but you need more, if they will switch you. Some will say sure, some may not give an answer. Any time I book on PL I search the room types and availabilities and if pretty good I will chance it..right after I book and see what room I get I call the hotel and ask for 2 beds, etc...never seem to have a problem switching.

I have had a problem several times in different cities booking with Priceline when there are 3 of us, then calling the hotel directly to request a room with 2 beds, and almost every time I end up in a room with one bed. If you have never had a problem then you are very lucky.

I have had a problem several times in different cities booking with Priceline when there are 3 of us, then calling the hotel directly to request a room with 2 beds, and almost every time I end up in a room with one bed. If you have never had a problem then you are very lucky.

could be because we have been lucky to read that the hotels we had a better chance of getting were pretty reasonable with the request...we also tend to travel off peak times (for price of course) so the hotels are less crowded and should be able to accommodate us...

You've received some good advice on your first question. I will add that we are a family of three and we always bid on Priceline. So far we have never had a problem getting a room with two beds. (I have sometimes had to politely ask.) But, as stated, you are only guaranteed a room for two. If you are not comfortable taking that chance, then you shouldn't use Priceline. Hotwire will not be as cheap, but will give you more flexibility.

For your second question, I would definitely recommend doing what John said - go to www.betterbidding.com. They have a section that lists hotels that have been won in each area and star level. You will not necessarily get a hotel on that list, but it gives you a pretty good idea. Only you can decide what you're comfortable with. I am personally comfortable going to 2 1/2* in most areas. Sometimes there will be one hotel in an area that gets terrible reviews and you might choose to avoid bidding that star level in that area just to not risk getting the "problem" hotel. But remember that on Priceline you can always get a higher star level than you bid, just not a lower one.

Hope that is helpful.

Archived