Alaska cruise and land review June10th-17th

shutterbug285

Great review and photos. We are really excited as we leave in 17 days for a 12 night cruise tour aboard the Radiance. We are doing a 5-night land tour and 7-night Southbound cruise.

Hopefully i will have finished it by then. You will have a great time!! what do you have planned? If there are any questions i can answer don't hesitate to ask

Awesome pictures > I hope I get a few that good. What were you using for a camera??? I have been out looking for a new one earlier today. Did you use the same camera all the time? I know you stuck one under water lol.

I had two one Olympus E volt e510 DSLR w/three lenses

and and Olympus shockproof waterproof.......... I believe they call it the Olympus tough now.

as you are about to find out in the review, I believe I killed my Olympus DSLR in Juneau :(

and and Olympus shockproof waterproof.......... I believe they call it the Olympus tough now.

as you are about to find out in the review, I believe I killed my Olympus DSLR in Juneau :(

I am so sorry about your camera. Your pictures are amazing. I read the script quickly, because I was excited to see the next picture. What tour did you do With Southeast Sea Kayaks. I bet they will get a lot of business after people see your pictures.

I am so sorry about your camera. Your pictures are amazing. I read the script quickly, because I was excited to see the next picture. What tour did you do With Southeast Sea Kayaks. I bet they will get a lot of business after people see your pictures.

We did the 4 hour Orca cove trip and it flew by! Great tour.

Hopefully i will have finished it by then. You will have a great time!! what do you have planned? If there are any questions i can answer don't hesitate to ask

Land Tour; Denali Park, Talkeetna, Fairbanks.

Cruise: Juneau : Whale Quest and Mendenhall Glacier Tour

Ketchican: Floatplane to Misty Fjords

Skagway: White River Pass and Yukon Railroad Tour.

Icy St. Pt.: Misty Bay Lodge Whale watch tour.

I think I want to do it now. Hope hubby agrees. We are doing a whale in Juneau with Harv and Marv the day before.

My boyfriend was really not looking forward to it. He agreed cause he knew i really wanted to, but he had serious misgivings about it. he's a big guy and was nervous about tipping over, getting and and out of the kayak etc

after the trip he thanked me He really enjoyed it

Land Tour; Denali Park, Talkeetna, Fairbanks.

Cruise: Juneau : Whale Quest and Mendenhall Glacier Tour

Ketchican: Floatplane to Misty Fjords

Skagway: White River Pass and Yukon Railroad Tour.

Icy St. Pt.: Misty Bay Lodge Whale watch tour.

Sounds like you'll have a great time. Of course I don't think you can have a bad time in Alaska. but that just me lol

OK, back to the review!

It really started to rain hard,so we decided it would be too slippery to hike and we went back to the entrance and caught the bus back to town.

After we shed all our wet clothes and had some lunch,I went to download my pictures to my laptop. My camera wouldn't turn on! Oh Oh not good!

I took out the battery and the memory card and let it sit. Hoping that tomorrow morning it would be OK.

It was still raining but we decided to go back out and check out the city a bit. We did some shopping. That evening we ate at chops. the food was excellent!

Few more pictures

P6149998_edited-1.jpg

P6149996_edited-1.jpg

Goodnight Juneau

hopefully things will work out in the morning

P6140009-2_edited-1.jpg

I get up early as usual and first thing I do is put a fresh battery in the camera and turn it on.......nothing :(. OK I'm not going to pout. Well............maybe a little, but I wanted to come to Alaska to see all the natural beauty it had. I am doing that . I do have another camera, granted it not my "baby" but its a great point and shoot camera. I can't fault Olympus either, I am not exactly easy on a camera. I have bumped it off rocks while scrambling up a trail, gotten it completely dust covered in monument valley etc. So i grab my Olympus waterproof camera and say good morning to skagway...........and a very pretty one it is

P6150022_edited-1.jpg

P6150023_edited-1.jpg

P6150028_edited-1.jpg

P6150036_edited-1.jpg

P6150040_edited-1.jpg

P6150042_edited-1.jpg

Nestled in the valley

P6150045_edited-1.jpg

We are doing a tour into the Yukon with Dyea Dave. We are to meet at the gate. We will be able to recognize out driver by his hat

P6150051_edited-1.jpg

Yup ............couldn't have missed that! Our drivers name is Barry. He gives us the rules of the bus. You must stay seated and if you see something say STOP!, not bear or look, just STOP!. The reason is sometimes he will have to stop quickly and the wildlife will be spooked by the back up beeper if he is forced to back up.

He gives us some back round on the town. Its founders goal was to "mine the miners". We are traveling the approx the Yukon gold route. He is very informative. We learn how much equipment and supplies each miner was required to take with him,before being allowed to enter the Yukon territory.

It wasn't long before we saw our first bear

P6150171_edited-1.jpg

We ended up seeing three. All of them right outside the bus. One almost ran out in front of the bus chasing a rabbit!

P6150085_edited-1.jpg

P6150123_edited-1.jpg

There was so much to look at and so much to see.........

P6150136_edited-1.jpg

P6150155_edited-1.jpg

another bear, or a bear and a persons hand and the side of the bus.........

P6150144.jpg

A suspension bridge........but only suspended on one side The physics of that makes me cock my head to one side like my dogs do when they think I'm saying something interesting.

P6150104_edited-1.jpg

P6150129_edited-1.jpg

P6150159_edited-1.jpg

If you a a nature enthusiast, you must take this ride, take the tour like we did, take the train, rent a car, rollerblade...its a gorgeous ride

P6150188.jpg

We stop at Carcross. Its a small town It has one of those stores that is part general store, part ice cream shop, part antique store and part everything including the kitchen sink. They also has some original dwelling from the gold rush era. So small! Like living in just my kitchen.

P6150180_edited-1.jpg

P6150158_edited-1.jpg

P6150183_edited-1.jpg

and we saw Emerald Lake

P6150191_edited-1.jpg

P6150192_edited-1.jpg

Next we stop for lunch at spirit lodge. they have sandwiches already made

turkey and roast beef,I think, homemade soup and pie.

P6150202.jpg

this is the lodge,behind our tour buses. After lunch, heading back,we drove from the desert to the beach

P6150204_edited-1.jpg

P6150223_edited-1.jpg

P6150225_edited-1.jpg

P6150227_edited-1.jpg

P6150229_edited-3.jpg

P6150230_edited-1.jpg

We got back in town and had a little time to check out some stores, I find a camera shop, but they don't sell Olympus camera............ok still not pouting. and we head back to the ship I find the color of the water fascinating

P6150232_edited-1.jpg

P6150236_edited-1.jpg

and we say good bye to skagway

P6150241_edited-1.jpg

P6150243_edited-1.jpg

[

Thank you very much, that means alot. I love taking pictures, trying to capture these places as I see them. I guess I want people to see through my eyes for a moment. Does that make any sense? Would love to be a professional photographer.

Shutterbug your pictures are really good. I love the perspective. I've told my DH that when we take our trip next year we don't have to take pictures, we'll just download yours because they will so much better, lol. Thanks for sharing. Tell me again what type of camera did you have (sorry it is gone!) Waiting for that story.

Gaiil

You answered my question excuse the prior post.

Gail