Alaska cruise and land review June10th-17th

shutterbug285

Thanks for your gorgeous pics! We're taking our first Alaskan trip in Sept. on Coral Princess, same itinerary. Bought new Canon w/ serious zoom

lens, learning that now. You did a fantastic job w/pics and narrative.

Much appreciated! :)

Shutterbug, I could post after each set of pictures you post, they are just so beautiful. The color of everything is so rich. Thank you many times over.

Gail

PS Glad someone asked about being seasick. That would be me, gotta get my patch and dramamine.

Shutterbug, thanks for posting, just awsome. Cant wait we leave for Alaska HAL Zaandam, Aug 9 Toronto to Seattle, Aug 10 to Fairbanks and then Denali Park and then to Seward for trip down to Vancouver with stops in Haines (taking fast ferry to Skagway, Juneau and Ketchikan. Since we have been to VAncouver before we are heading for Vancouver Island, Victoria and Tofino and then back to Toronto. Now with a couple of things you did makes me want to change what I am thinking about, but my wife isnt too good on small boats, but we will see. On the way to emerald lake, did they give you a problem at the border?:D

Thank you everyone for your very kind comments. I'm enjoying reliving my vacation. Thank you also for your patience for the delay in postings. Only two more days left to post the marathon day when we glacier climbed at Matanuska glacier and of course Denali National Park

Kagyone- We had no issues at the border, although he did leave an additional half hour of time in our tour, to make sure we were back in time.

I would leave that amount too

In fact, tonight I bit the bullet and purchased an expensive zoom lens for my Olympus Pen (micro 3/4 system) for my Sept Alaska cruise w/NCL. You most certainly inspired me!

Congratulations!, you will have a lot of opportunity to use that lens in Alaska! I had my 70-300mm lens on most of the time. except after I killed it! :(. The pen looks like a great camera too, very compact but still usable in manual. How do you like it?

Confession time I bought another camera our first day in Anchorage and it wasn't an Olympus, thats just because they didn't have any Olympus in stock. I will still replace my Olympus body ( after I pay off this one) ....................... I was weak!!!! lol

Edited by shutterbug285

Your pictures are AMAZING!!! I have a Nikon SLR that I have been playing with so hopefully I can take pictures half as good as yours when we go on our cruise in 2 months.

I enjoyed all of them but there was one that I looked thought you photoshopped. Picture#5 on post#93....at first glance, I thought you photoshopped a shark to the right side of the lake! When I looked back, I realized it was a glacier! Had myself a good laugh!

Can't wait to keep reading about the trip and the rest of your pictures!

I watched a program about Alaska about 2 months ago and they showed some photos of underwater cold water sharks!! Yes you read that right sharks in Alaska. They come to feed on the salmon. It was awesome photography and lots of information. Think it was on the National Geographic channel. Amazing.

We spend the first day In Anchorage visiting. We picked up a rental car and also went to Best Buy. They had no Olympus cameras in stock. I then scoured the internet and the Olympus site. No one in Alaska stocks Olympus cameras. now I'm pouting.........just a little . After some more time visiting and some convincing we go back to Best Buy and I buy a Nikon 5100 with a 55-300 mm lens. I said I wasn't going to buy another, I would just wait till I got home and replace the body.... temptation got the best of me! We had a great dinner at the Moose's Tooth great pizza and a whole range of beers.

The next morning we got up early, we are glacier climbing at Matanuska Glacier. We are ready very early Buds sister in law suggests stopping by Thunderbird Falls. She said its a pretty hike about a mile in to get to the falls view. As its only 630 am, we decide to check it out.

DSC_0068.jpg

DSC_0031_edited-1.jpg

DSC_0042.jpg

Very pretty walk, easy trail, don't forget the insect repellent!!! We did lol

DSC_0050.jpg

DSC_0053.jpg

DSC_0059.jpg

We arrive at MICA guides, we are still early. we are greeted by two employees, very pleasant. They recommend a restaurant right down the street to grab coffee or a snack. I believe it was called the Long Rifle Lodge. Cute place very friendly people there. We order two sandwiches.

When we get back, we meet our guides, Natalie, a young woman very friendly and bubbly. Noah very personable young man who actually goes to mountaineering school in Patagonia! and Richard our lead guide and extremely nice man from New Zealand.

They give us all the gear we will need, rain pants, mountaineering boots, climbing harness, waterproof gloves and crampons, there are six of us on this excursion. We jump in the van,as gracefully as you can in mountaineering boot (alot like ski boots) and drive up to the glacier parking lot

DSC_0274_edited-1.jpg

I know it looks like you can walk straight out to the face of the glacier but there is actually quite a drop off from this view. I also found out that the glacier is not just the blue ice, there is a ton of ice in front of it that looks like regular ground.

this is the walk to get to the glacier face

DSC_0277.jpg

DSC_0281_edited-1.jpg

this is the start of ice we need crampons for and Natalie letting us know

DSC_0283.jpg

DSC_0285_edited-1.jpg

footwork lessons with Natalie

DSC_0286_edited-1.jpg

DSC_0292_edited-2.jpg

DSC_0291_edited-2.jpg

DSC_0296.jpg

DSC_0301_edited-1.jpg

DSC_0305_edited-2.jpg

OK time to climb. Natalie is going to belay ( she will have control of the rope we are climbing on) some people express concern that she will not be able to handle their weight if they should fall. Bud and I have been to a rock climbing gym before so Richard asks Bud if he will go first.

DSC_0306_edited-2.jpg

DSC_0310_edited-2.jpg

DSC_0311_edited-2.jpg

DSC_0312_edited-1.jpg

and Richard ( who from this point on, I call spider man) asks me if I want him to take some pics from the top. I say sure, so he basically walks up the side of the glacier we are climbing with ropes!!!!

DSC_0314_edited-2.jpg

spider man setting up another climb

DSC_0315_edited-2.jpg

DSC_0318_edited-2.jpg

Edited by shutterbug285