X change from Naples to Salerno

hillsprint

Just been checking my 29 Sept 11 shore excursions, and spotted that X have changed the planned Naples docking to Salerno.

Don't know if this is a "one of", so it might be worth checking you own sailing, as this obviously will effect any self booked trips.

Cheers

Mike

Just replied to a similar post, this happened to us last year. Salerno is much smaller than Naples but with a lovely promenade to walk along and much safer too. Didn't go to Naples from here, so don't know how long this would take if you wish to do it. We should be docking in Naples later this year, but it wouldn't upset me if it went to Salerno again.

Just been checking my 29 Sept 11 shore excursions, and spotted that X have changed the planned Naples docking to Salerno.

Don't know if this is a "one of", so it might be worth checking you own sailing, as this obviously will effect any self booked trips.

Cheers

Mike

Have tried to get into Celebrity site and cant at this time. We are also booked on Sept 29th trip. We have a tour booked through outside company to Pompeii, Sorrento and Positano. It looks like the later two are closer to Salerno so hoping the tour will still happen. Lets wait and see.

We just returned from the Solstice and the Salerno stop was in question... we had tours booked with Romeinlimo and they said they would monitor the situation and pick us up wherever the ship ended up docking. It was a very easy conversation.

Enjoy!

We just returned from the Solstice and the Salerno stop was in question... we had tours booked with Romeinlimo and they said they would monitor the situation and pick us up wherever the ship ended up docking. It was a very easy conversation. Enjoy!

Agree with Stephanie, that if you're using a good private tour company such as RomeInLimo, they can make all of the right adjustments if your port is switched to Salerno. From that docking point, it will be easy to do a tour such as ours that included Ravello, the Amalfi Coast, Positano, etc. Below are some visual samples on what is to enjoy in that spectacular area. Don't miss it!!! Check my posting noted below for lots more details on these great ports in the Med, the Solstice, etc.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Just back from a June 7-19 Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc. These postings are now at 16,386 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2011, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 45,345 views.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Appreciate those who have “tuned in” for these two posts. Don’t be shy and feel free to comment and/or ask any questions of interest.

For Ravello overlooking the Gulf of Solerno, this is the view from their main square to its neighboring, hillside village.:

RavTree2NeighboringVillage.jpg

Ravello has many nice ceramics shops with locally-made pieces of many sizes. Here is the owner making a welcoming toast to come in and shop.:

RavCeramicsStoreOwner.jpg

Here is the view of Positano from the east of this spectacular town stacked along the coast.:

PositanoNorthView.jpg

Overlooking Positano, this is the view as we dined, family-style for lunch, at the Elisir di Positano per La Caglioita. The views here were super and the sun came out in strong force as we enjoyed our three-course lunch with local wine and drinks.:

PositanoDiningViewTrees.jpg

In the kitchen, this is our chef-owner in the area where our meal was prepared. Excellent setting, food and a less-touristy focus.:

PositanoDiningChefInKitchen.jpg

Near Positano, this is the super luxury hotel, its gardens and views where the rooms go for about $1200 a night. Costly, but million-dollar sights from each of the rooms.:

2PositanoHotelViewGardens.jpg

Hylasgirl,

Did you know before you went that you were docking at Salerno? We are going on the 12th of August and as we have been to Naples several times would love to be docking somewhere different. I can't see anything different on the excursions page that hillsprint can.

Does anyone know how I can check where the solstice will dock?

Thanks

Hylasgirl, Did you know before you went that you were docking at Salerno? We are going on the 12th of August and as we have been to Naples several times would love to be docking somewhere different. I can't see anything different on the excursions page that hillsprint can. Does anyone know how I can check where the solstice will dock?

Thanks

Was on the same June 7-19 cruise with Hylasgirl and others. Our docking place was Naples. In checking the Celebrity website now, they are showing for your Aug. 12 as being with a "Naples/Capri" stop on Aug. 15 from 10 am to 10 pm. This would seeming be same location as we had on June 11. By contrast for the Sept. 29 sailing, Celebrity's website now has it billed as "Naples (Salerno), Italy".

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

I emailed Romeinlimo about the port change to Salerno and there will be no problem with the tours we have booked to Pompeii etc. I read the port change information on this board and called Celebrity. The woman I spoke with said they are informing people on the July and August sailings and haven't gotten to the September ones.

Cheers

Mike

What ship are you on, Mike? We are supposed to dock in Naples on the 29th on the Equinox. The itinerary says Naples/Capri.

If it changed, it would have a major impact on our plans to get the best pizza in Italy and buy some Neapolitan crib figures for my Christmas creche.

I wonder if they are changing it because of all the crime that has been going on in the port area at Naples?

There was a man who died recently after being mugged in the Naples port after someone tried to steal his Rolex from a scooter and he fell and hit his head. On our cruise a couple of weeks ago a couple was walking thru the port area when they were robbed by 2 guys on a scooter.They were after his camera but when they were not able to get that they grabbed her necklace and ripped it off her neck.:eek:

I would sure not walk around that port or the town of Naples for that matter. The garbage is everywhere.

We are on Equinox Eastern Med departing 8th August and were notified earlier this week that we would now be stopping in Salerno rather than Naples.

Having visited Naples a couple of times previously, we were quite pleased to be visiting a different port of call, especially one so close to the wonderful Amalfi coast!

bbappel

We sail on the Solstice from Barcelona on 29th Sept, we are not due in Naples/Salerno until 3rd Oct.

Personally, I don't have a problem with the change, looking forward to see if Celebrity offer something different to what they had been offering from Naples/Capri

Cheers

Mike

I think the main reason for this change of port is that there were at least 5 ships that were to dock in Naples that day, so the Salerno option was probably an alternative to the problems that might have arisen. Maybe Celebrity was down near the bottom of the priority list for that docking day in Naples. Although for the excellent reasons set forth above, I too would prefer to dock in Salerno, if I had a choice.

I was just looking at the earlier itinerary and noted that passengers were to be tendered in if the Equinox had "docked" at Naples, so for this sailing I believe using the dock at Salerno was definitely the better choice.

I was just looking at the earlier itinerary and noted that passengers were to be tendered in if the Equinox had "docked" at Naples, so for this sailing I believe using the dock at Salerno was definitely the better choice.

I really hope our itinerary is changed next May too.

Our family is also on the Equinox Sept 29th sailing, and thanks to this thread, I now know that the port has changed

Frankly 2/4 of us have prev been to the Naples Port on the Galaxy, and with HAL, and so we are less interested in Naples, Herculeum, and Volcanoes, ruins, so if Salerno is closer to the Almafi coast, so much the better

jc

Toronto

We received an email today from Celebrity about the change for our Sept 29th sailing. Our tour group is picking us up as scheduled in Salerno. It sounds as if it happens occasionally and they are prepared for this.

We are on the 30th September sailing on Equinox, due to call in Naples on 9th October.

If Celebrity are reading these posts, PLEASE, PLEASE move us to Salerno - that would be great. As it is a Sunday, Naples will be closed anyway and the real fun is the Amalfi coast that is easier to get to from Salerno.

If anyone really wants to go to Naples, there is a frequent train service from Salerno, so that is very easy.

On X website it only shows the 9/29 Solstice cruise as stopping at Salerno...unless I missed something. All the Silhouette sailings still show Naples as the port.... if they are all changing I would think the website would reflect that as soon as they know.... contacting individual reservations takes longer... Doesn't matter one way or the other to me I just have to be able to contact tour operator to let them know where to pick up...

What ship are you on, Mike? We are supposed to dock in Naples on the 29th on the Equinox. The itinerary says Naples/Capri.

If it changed, it would have a major impact on our plans to get the best pizza in Italy and buy some Neapolitan crib figures for my Christmas creche.

I'm on the same ship, and we're s'posed to be in Naples on the 28th of July. The 29th is when we dock in Civitavecchia.

I spoke to someone at X today when I 1st got the e-mail, and guess what--(not that I believe them now) she told me that we're docking in the same place as we were b4 (in Naples/Capri) but we don't have access to Capri; that we're still docking in Naples, I asked if it was the Salerno PORT, she said no, but we would have access to Salerno town, but it would be the same place that we'd be docking if we were going to Naples. HUH???

So I posted on the X board today, b/c I know all of you know more than X, and a poster referred me to this spot.....

We were changed from Naples to Salerno last October. There was a free shuttle bus from the ship to the town (10-15 mins) which has an attractive promenade. Taxi's at the pier were a plenty but only interested in longer trips. Fellow passengers who had booked private tours originating in Naples appeared to easily change to a Salerno pick-up. Some made DIY trips to Capri as the shuttle bus drops very near to the pier that the Capri ferry runs from but check the timetables!

The Amalfi coast is very accessible by taxi, boat and/or bus. We really liked Salerno as a port of call.

TLCOhio: Terry, thanks. As always, your photos are magnificent. Larry

THANKS, Larry, for the nice comments on my pictures! The beauty and credit goes to the Amalfi Coast, those who built and did great things in these wonderful areas, etc. Below are a few more samples. Lots of interesting history and beauty in that area. Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Just back from a June 7-19 Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc. These postings are now at 18,429 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2011, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 45,928 views.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Appreciate those who have “tuned in” for these two posts. Don’t be shy and feel free to comment and/or ask any questions of interest.

For Ravello overlooking the Gulf of Solerno, this is the town church tower with flowers in the foreground:

RavFlowersChurchTower.jpg

Along the Amalfi coast, here is the luxury hotel where Hillary Clinton stayed as First Lady when visiting this scenic area.:

AmalfiHillaryLuxHotel.jpg

Along the Amalfi Coast, here’s a view with a special flowering plant in the foreground.:

AmalfiFlowersTallCoastal.jpg

Near the town of Amalfi on this coast, here is one of the “fjords” as they are called coming off of the water and allowing for a small beach and area to keep boats. Very scenic!!:

2AmalfiCoastalFjord.jpg

Archived