iPod and iPad power charging

Corinium

I'm thinking of taking my iPod nano and my iPad on my upcoming cruise on the Volendam and would like to know about the facilities for recharging their batteries whilst on board.

Do the mains power supply and electrical sockets in the guest rooms conform to US standards ? ( I guess so as it's an American owned ship )

Are there any USB sockets accessible, specifically for charging iPods and iPads ?

My iPad was supplied with a mains connector which has a USB socket, but since I live in England the mains plug is 3 pin and conforms to British standards (230 volts).So I guess I couldn't use this on the Volendam unless I also take a universal plug converter ?? But then again the US supply is 110 volts, 60Hz compared with the British 230 volts, 50Hz -- does this matter ?

I would be grateful for any suggestions.

I'm thinking of taking my iPod nano and my iPad on my upcoming cruise on the Volendam and would like to know about the facilities for recharging their batteries whilst on board.

Do the mains power supply and electrical sockets in the guest rooms conform to US standards ? ( I guess so as it's an American owned ship )

Are there any USB sockets accessible, specifically for charging iPods and iPads ?

My iPad was supplied with a mains connector which has a USB socket, but since I live in England the mains plug is 3 pin and conforms to British standards (230 volts).So I guess I couldn't use this on the Volendam unless I also take a universal plug converter ?? But then again the US supply is 110 volts, 60Hz compared with the British 230 volts, 50Hz -- does this matter ?

I would be grateful for any suggestions.

There is a 110v 60 cycle plug available in all cabins.

There are no USB sockets accessible.

There is a 230v socket in all cabins. But be careful of the pin configuration. You may need an adapter.

I suggest taking an international adapter (110v & 230v) with a USB socket.

Scott & Karen

You will need a UK to European adapter - the same as you would use if you were coming to Spain.

Or, an UK to North American adapter. IPads and IPods happily use both North American and World voltage (as do almost all computers, btw).

My iPad was supplied with a mains connector which has a USB socket, but since I live in England the mains plug is 3 pin and conforms to British standards (230 volts).
To be absolutely sure that you can follow ab0si's suggestion, which is almost certainly correct, look at the small print on the mains supply unit that you have. It should say something like 100-240V AC 50-60Hz. If so, any power supply within those ranges will be fine for it, and you can just plug it straight in to either the US socket or the European socket, just needing a cheapie adapter.

I suggested the European adapter for 3 reasons

1. Because the voltage is the same (just the plug which is different) it would be possible to plug in any electrical device.

2. Last year, in USA, I could not get my netbook charged although in theory it should have worked.

3. It is easier to buy European adapters than US adapters in the UK.

I have just checked my iPad mains adapter and the small print says

Input 100-240v 0.45A. 50-60hz. Output 5.1v 2.1A

So I'll take it along with a universal plus adapter.

Thank you very much to everyone who replied

Archived