money for Canada

We were able to pay in American dollars, but almost all of the vendors gave change only in Canadian. It was kind of weird actually.

Not really weird if you think about it. If I use Canadian money in the US, I get US money back in change.

Ok...so do I go to a bank in Canada or can I go here to get Canadian money? Or is there somewhere else I can get it?

Unlike in Canada where you can purchase US dollars at the bank I am sure in Pitt your bank will not have Canadian money onhand. They usually can order it.

My suggestion if being in Canada on a weekday look up online a bank close to the port walk in with US cash and exchange it for Canadian dollars.

Most merchants will accept US$ but for sure in the recent past it was illegal but they would take the chance. And may still be illegal. Although some post exchange rates.

I can't imagine you getting change in US$.

Or expecting to actually. Try C$ in the states outside of a few border towns and let us know how it works out for you. Esp after you already ate and say you have nothing else. I'd like to be there to watch. Probably be even more exciting than a dress code thread.

I do recall years ago a US customer really giving a restaurant manager heck for not taking his money. Even when the guy said legally he wasn't supposed to. Not one of the better ambassadors.

You can use canadian money in most places in Maine. There are even signs on the toll plaza booths that say they DO accept Canadian, at a 10% lower rate. Certainly not 'illegal'.

It's really simple. US money is not legal tender in Canada. The merchant is doing you a favor, just be accepting it. They must take it to the bank, and exchange it, thus incurring a fee. Exchanging it back in forth when it is not legal tender, makes it illegal. A Canadian citizen, can not use the money in a legal transaction, thus why it is illegal to give back US money. Money is not international, but only good in the country issued (except the Euro). Use small bills or a credit card and accept different countries have laws, and that we don't have to understand it, just accept it.

Except, your wrong.

I worked at the LCBO which is a government run liquor store and we accepted American money - if it was in anyway illegal you can be sure we would not have taken it. We had a key for converting American money to Canadian and thus all change was given in Canadian funds. Our computers province wide were coded at the daily bank rate - so as about up to date as you can get.

To answer the original question - I go to my local bank and purchase American money when I need it or just use my credit card and let the credit card company do it as I find some places in the States vary greatly for whatever reason. You should be able to go to a bank where you live and do the same thing or just use American funds and let the ports convert it for you - you WILL get a fair and equitable rate.

You may have a more reasonable bank in Pittsburg but around here my bank doesn't have Canadian currency on hand. (and I bank with RBC!! which up until very recently is a subisidairy of a Canadian bank!).

If I were you I'd sidestep the issue all together and just use an ATM when you got to port if you wanted cash. Otherwise just use your credit card or debit cards. But no there will certainly be no issue whatsoever using your US dollars. Either way - don't worry about it. It's Canada not Mexico or Belize. You'll get a fair shake.

(I'm Canadian - so maybe a little biased)

The best way to buy in Canada is just to use your credit card. Cards like Capital One can be used anywhere and do not charge an exchange rate.

For small purchases you might be able to use $US, but dont expect to get US Change back, any more than a Canadian would expect to get $CDN change back at Mac Donalds in Portland Maine.

My suggestion, stop by an ATM and get $50 in Canadian Money and enjoy your stay. Respect your hosts by trying to speaking there language, using their money and respecting their customs.

After our trips to any country we always go online and find a charity we like. Schools in Haiti, Malaria in Belize, Cancer in Canada. Drop your left over change in an envelope and feel even better about your trip.

You quoted what she said but did you actually read it through? She said this was at a place where all the tourists were paying in US $ and gave an example of someone paying with $5 US, then the next person getting $5 Canadian as change with the vendor saying they had no US $. In that situation, there's no need for a "special stash" and is a bit curious.

But the merchant may not be able to do it for everyone so they do it for no one - yes, they might be able to make your $5 change but the guy who comes with a US $100 bill and needs $70 change, they may not be able to make change for (or the first few customers of the day).

So - along the same line - if my ship is leaving from New York - should I exchange my Canadian dollars for US dollars or will the US cabbie be okay with my Canadian bucks?

Do us a favour, exchange the money. Then you can save the staff time converting the weaker US to the stronger Canadian buck.....Oh, and we have COINS for $1 and $2 denominations, so a change purse is a good idea....even a cheap dollar store variety......PS refer to the $1 and a LOONIE and $2 as a TWOONIE......

You'll like Canadian money--colorful and do read the little vignettes on the bills.....Stick to $5, $10, and $20 denominations. Most stores prefer smaller bills because of counterfieting. It isn't a big problem, but some places don't like the larger bills.

The best way to buy in Canada is just to use your credit card. Cards like Capital One can be used anywhere and do not charge an exchange rate.

For small purchases you might be able to use $US, but dont expect to get US Change back, any more than a Canadian would expect to get $CDN change back at Mac Donalds in Portland Maine.

My suggestion, stop by an ATM and get $50 in Canadian Money and enjoy your stay. Respect your hosts by trying to speaking there language, using their money and respecting their customs.

After our trips to any country we always go online and find a charity we like. Schools in Haiti, Malaria in Belize, Cancer in Canada. Drop your left over change in an envelope and feel even better about your trip.

That's right - we speak a different language here in Atlantic Canada.... make sure you brush up on your Canadian before you come 'eh!.... lol

But the merchant may not be able to do it for everyone so they do it for no one - yes, they might be able to make your $5 change but the guy who comes with a US $100 bill and needs $70 change, they may not be able to make change for (or the first few customers of the day).

So - along the same line - if my ship is leaving from New York - should I exchange my Canadian dollars for US dollars or will the US cabbie be okay with my Canadian bucks?

Your cabbie will take US $ only - however you can pay with a credit card.

Buy your US $ in the US. We live in a border city and we buy Canadian $ in Canada, as our banks charge a lot to handle a foreign currency transaction in addition to the exchange rate. That's with Canada being only 10 minutes away, with plenty of Canadian $ being available locally.

Hey, for all of you with Canadian coins; look through the quarters and see if you can find the different ones that have been issues. I don't know how many times special issues have been done, but I can guess four complete sets, a special one for Alberta/Saskatchewan, breast cancer, red poppy, and gotta remember the last one, the olympic set that came out 2009-2010.

Current Exchange rate as of today is 1.04. So you'd be losing 4 cents on the dollar......

Except, your wrong.

With all due respect sir, he is indeed right. May I direct you to the Currency Act, RSC 1985, cC-52. Section 8 para (1) '...money is legal tender if it is made (a) (this deals with coins described in Sec 7), or(b)in notes issued by the Bank of Canada pursuant to the Bank of Canada Act intended for circulation in Canada'.

So if only Canadian coins and bills and nothing else is defined as legal other currencies must be other than legal. Known in some circles as illegal. However as a favour and to do more business merchants will usually oblige. However they are not compelled to.

With all due respect sir, he is indeed right. May I direct you to the Currency Act, RSC 1985, cC-52. Section 8 para (1) '...money is legal tender if it is made (a) (this deals with coins described in Sec 7), or(b)in notes issued by the Bank of Canada pursuant to the Bank of Canada Act intended for circulation in Canada'.

So if only Canadian coins and bills and nothing else is defined as legal other currencies must be other than legal. Known in some circles as illegal. However as a favour and to do more business merchants will usually oblige. However they are not compelled to.

With all due respect, I am uninterested in your, or his, cut and pasted regulations. I could not care less about the regulations or the minutia of international monetary legality. My point was, in the REAL WORLD, you can use American money in Canada, and Canadian money in at least some parts of America. Give it a try.

With all due respect, I am uninterested in your, or his, cut and pasted regulations. I could not care less about the regulations or the minutia of international monetary legality. My point was, in the REAL WORLD, you can use American money in Canada, and Canadian money in at least some parts of America. Give it a try.

That wasn't cut and paste.:confused:

I have tendered foreign money but know they don't have to accept it. Asking first usually gets satisfaction in border areas. Expecting and demanding wouldn't work out quite as well. Away from the border in the US you might have C$$s referred to as play money or monopoly money. From folks who would expect theirs to be accepted here. I hear people complain about not being able to use foreign currency outside of port areas of Mexico. And I've heard tourists complaining in Canada about the same thing. Merchants accept it if they consider it's in their interest to do so.

You think you can use it in Canada outside of tourist areas? Sometimes. But don't depend on it. The merchant is under no obligation to accept it. Although taking it at his own exchange rate may prove advantagious. If you were buying goods or services from me and had already consumed (as in a restaurant meal or bar tab) it could be quite high depending on your attitude. If you came across to me as expecting or even demanding which your posts indicate you might then I think 100% or more exchange rate would be fair. Of course you could refuse but by the time police had arrived and we ironed it out the boat could be gone. Your attitude. Your choice.

To the OP I live in Saint John NB and yes you can use US money here in Canada. You may get Canadian funds back as change but just use it for your next purchase. If you feel like changing your money we have lots of banks right around where you will dock.

US funds will always be accepted outside of tourist areas. There is rarely any issue in having it accepted. It is perfectly legal tender that can be accepted.

Make up your mind. You say it will always be accepted. Then you say there is rarely an issue.

I've seen it made an issue.

I saw a US customer at a restaurant in a non tourist area about 300 mi up but on a main highway try to pay with US$ for a meal. The cashier who was young and the manager who was not much older didn't know how to deal with it and the owner wasn't there. They didn't know an exchange rate and thought it would be costly to manage the money separately in a one time case like this. I (and several other patrons I later learned) would have stepped in and paid with C$ and collected US$ from the guy that we would spend if we went down to the States but we didn't like the guy's attitude. Several patrons approached to support the young people at the counter. The police were called and after confering with the staff and him stated that he was considered in default as he was not offering legal tender. They also implied he could spend the night in the can but I think that was mostly to get him to cooperate which worked when he suddenly produced a credit card.

So I guess being in a tourist area and attitude plays a role in acceptance of foreign currency. Would you expect GBPs to be accepted? I've never heard of a visitor from Britain being that presumptuous.

Make up your mind. You say it will always be accepted. Then you say there is rarely and issue.

Damage money may not be taken or ones that look fake. Those issues. So my mind is made up thank you.

Pardon me. I have heard British visitors (and immigrants-especially immigrants) being presumptuous. Just not about currency. But most are very nice.

The only place I know that automatically no questions asked takes another country's currency is Scotland. It takes GPBs. At par. At least it did when we were there. And that you can take to the bank.:)

Damage money may not be taken or ones that look fake. Those issues. So my mind is made up thank you.

I disagree: damaged money (all money that has been in circulation has a degree of damage) CAN be taken but it can also be rejected if the merchant is leery about the bank accepting it. If the money this guy in the above story had offered appeared counterfeit I'm sure the RCMP would have 'got their man'. I wondered about whether it was fake when he had a credit card but was insistent on offering cash.

You have every right to a mind already made up. Might find it limits your options though :).

Make up your mind. You say it will always be accepted. Then you say there is rarely an issue.

I saw a US customer at a restaurant in a non tourist area about 300 mi up but on a main highway try to pay with US$ for a meal. The cashier who was young and the manager who was not much older didn't know how to deal with it and the owner wasn't there. They didn't know an exchange rate and thought it would be costly to manage the money separately in a one time case like this. I (and several other patrons I later learned) would have stepped in and paid with C$ and collected US$ from the guy that we would spend if we went down to the States but we didn't like the guy's attitude. Several patrons approached to support the young people at the counter. The police were called and after confering with the staff and him stated that he was considered in default as he was not offering legal tender. They also implied he could spend the night in the can but I think that was mostly to get him to cooperate which worked when he suddenly produced a credit card.

So I guess being in a tourist area and attitude plays a role in acceptance of foreign currency. Would you expect GBPs to be accepted? I've never heard of a visitor from Britain being that presumptuous.

I'm sure if you want to seek out some obscure rule on a single incident to back up your position, you'll be able to. I can only offer real life experience. I've lived in Maine and been going to canada most of my life, more times than I can count. I've never had a problem using US$ in canada, and have never heard of anyone in this area not accepting CAD$.

Ok...so do I go to a bank in Canada or can I go here to get Canadian money? Or is there somewhere else I can get it?

You dont need Canadian money here in Canada, trust me. We're more than happy to take your American money anywhere in this country. Dont make it more complicated than it needs to be. In my 50 years I HAVE NEVER SEEN OR HEARD OF ANYONE REFUSING GOOD OLD YANKEE CASH ANYWHERE IN CANADA. You'll get Canadian money back as change.

...We're more than happy to take your American money anywhere in this country....

Anywhere?? Incorrect. You can't speak for everyone in every situation. And if handling of US money is inconvenient or costly it can and will be rejected. Legally. Even if not, a high enough exchange rate could be charged to cover any unforseen extra costs. In most cases in tourist places they are set up for it but some places aren't. Not everywhere is 100 or less from the border and sees regular US trade. And some clerks wouldn't know the exchange rate. And why should they if they're in some little berg 200 miles north of La Crete, have never seen foreign tourists, don't take credit cards and some guy has a meal or drinks in a bar then offers up cash they've never seen before? He'd be lucky to get out with his hide intact.

To the OP: you can most likely get tourist type service or goods for US currency in any place you're likely to go in the time allotted for a stop in port. Most tourist based industries will be accomodating. But if they choose not to be you can't force them.

The OP asked about fees. Fees can change almost from moment to moment. The exchange rate on foreign currency also changes from moment to moment. We generally use a CapitalOne (US) credit card and withdraw a small amount of cash daily when we are in any foreign city (even those on the border with the US), to spend in that city. The CapOne account we have does not charge any fees (but we still have to pay whatever fee the ATM charges, just as we do in the US).

I don't think it is at all weird that a merchant would give you change in their local currency .. even if they've been handed what would be your exact change in the previous transaction! I'm sure that at the end of the day they'll sort out all the foreign (to them!) currency they've received, take that to the bank, get it exchanged for their local currency, then balance their books. They're not going to try to do that on the spot with a line full of customers!

My cards also waive the foreign transaction fees - but doesn't CapOne consider that a cash advance on your credit card, with interest starting the day of the withdrawal as well as a cash advance fee?

Archived