Sapphire AND Coki beach?

guntheros

Just wondering if it's possible to go to both Sapphire and Coki Beach on our trip to St. Thomas? They both sound nice and they look fairly close on the map, but I know how that goes too... looks close but not always the case. How much would it cost for a group of 6 to go to either of these beaches? Has anyone been to Coki Beach lately? Did it feel safe? How about Coral World? Is it nice/worth it? We have been to a lot of other aquariums, is it much different or is it a must see?

Thanks in advance for all of your help!

Our taxi driver accidentally drove us to Coki when I asked for Sapphire (on our 6/23/11 Ex cruise). I thought the immediate surrounding environment of Coki looked unsafe. The cab driver told me that the young people usually chose Coki in order to 'get the ganja' (his words). He then took us to Sapphire.

It is $10 to get to either from WICO. They are about 5 minutes apart.

Go to Sapphire first: I don't think you will want to leave!

Our taxi driver accidentally drove us to Coki when I asked for Sapphire (on our 6/23/11 Ex cruise). I thought the immediate surrounding environment of Coki looked unsafe. The cab driver told me that the young people usually chose Coki in order to 'get the ganja' (his words). He then took us to Sapphire.

It is $10 to get to either from WICO. They are about 5 minutes apart.

Go to Sapphire first: I don't think you will want to leave!

Hi Marci....I see you liked Sapphire. I will be in St Martin the end of the month and am tossing St John or Sapphire. I am on Allure so we dock at Crown Bay....a bit further from Sapphire. There is also a ferry right at Crown Bay to St John...so looking to see if in the end it will be similar traveling time. We have no other ships to worry about as we are the only ship in that day. Anyways I wanted to know how long it took from where you docked to Sapphire and if you have been to St John how it compares to say Trunk Bay. Can you rent chairs....are there water toys (waverunners)....what is the bar and food situation and restrooms...any hotel to use facilities?

Sorry for all the questions but I figured you a good person to ask details since you are so fresh in just being there:)

Anyways I wanted to know how long it took from where you docked to Sapphire and if you have been to St John how it compares to say Trunk Bay. Can you rent chairs....are there water toys (waverunners)....what is the bar and food situation and restrooms...any hotel to use facilities?

Sorry for all the questions but I figured you a good person to ask details since you are so fresh in just being there:)

I think it took about 20-25 min max, but we got 'lost' so not sure. Look at a map: Sapphire Beach is pretty close to the Red Hook ferry area. Price was $10 pp. I tipped on the way out, but not on the way back, because by then I was sick of how we were being treated by taxi divers. Taxi service in St. Martin and St. Thomas seems like a shuttle service, ie they pack you on and are not so service-oriented. A bit rude, actually.

I have not been to Trunk Bay or Magen's Bay. I heard mixed reviews of Magen's from 'it is the most beautiful beach in the world' to 'I think it's overrated'.

We loved Sapphire. The beach view is gorgeous and the grape trees provide better shade than an umbrella. The water was crystal clear and there were small waves. There were large areas of sandy bottom, and many reef areas so plenty of viewing opportunities. The fish were plentiful and would come right up to you.

Several guys were manning the chair rentals; very courteous and prompt service. $7 per chair and they would set them up wherever you wanted (I did not tip them). We put 3 under a grape tree and it was fine for 5 people in and out of the water.

I saw various water toys-someone was windsurfing (standing up on a surfboard with a sail thing) and there were several kayaks. Not sure about waverunners, I forget already :( There was a snorkel rental as well.

The beach was busy but not packed by noon. Towards 1pm it was getting empty again; it seems like many of those people were on tours that stopped for 2 hours and left. We got there at 9:30am and stayed til about 2pm.

Food: there was a server who introduced herself right away and gave us tips about the beach. I got an excellent bloody mary and my husband and son had rum drinks that were also good. Soda was about $2 a can. Sandwiches and burgers were on the pricey side $14 for grilled mahi and $11 for burger and fries were $3. All very good and fresh. I think Cruisediva recommended the mahi and it was very good. I ran a tab and used my cc at the end.

Bathrooms were better than I expected cleanliness-wise, but there was no TP or soap so plan accordingly.

We did not inquire about hotel facilities so I can't provide any info. It is obvious that the hotel is in the middle of renovations but it did not impact our stay. Once you are through the hotel you will only notice the beach area. There were iguanas roaming all over (in the trees as well) and small duck families with babies running along.

If you add up our taxi fares and bar/food bill, it was still cheaper than what we would have paid for a ship's 'beach excursion' with no food. It was our best port day of the trip.

Archived