A little dissapointed with an incident on our first cruise

allgood2010

My guess is that some lucky stiff found two twenties on the floor somewhere between the ATM and the reception desk.

It makes no sense that a clerk would steal a measely $40 and risk losing their job, particularly when they are on camera (and despite the fact that the particular camera didn't work properly.)

My guess is that some lucky stiff found two twenties on the floor somewhere between the ATM and the reception desk.

It makes no sense that a clerk would steal a measely $40 and risk losing their job, particularly when they are on camera (and despite the fact that the particular camera didn't work properly.)

That would be the most likely scenario.

I once got short-changed on a transaction to the tune of $10 by a crooked ticket vendor on an overseas trip. Even though the amount was a tiny fraction of 1 percent of the cost of the trip and relatively insignificant, getting cheated still ticks me off years later.

I believe the OP--something went wrong with that transaction and their $200 somehow shrunk by $40 between that ATM and Guest Services. There are a lot of ways it could have happened, but there's no way of knowing which one it was.

The amount of hassle they went through over that $40 with no satisfying resolution is going to leave a bitter aftertaste for a while, even though the amount of money involved is relatively small compared to the overall cost of a cruise vacation.

ok here's a question. as the op states "we told the guest relations person we would like to put $200 on our account". assuming the guest relations person heard this and then proceeds to count only $160 don't ya think he/she should have said wait a minute there's only $160 here and not just write the receipt for $160 knowing that the op thinks he/she is putting down $200?

That's what I was thinking! Why wouldn't she state the obvious?

This along with alot of other topic are repeats. Questions repeated time and time again. Please lets get something constructive going on here.:mad:

Constructive? Ok. Although the "e" is silent, you still have to use it. (Breath in breath out move on.)

Usually one waits till his 30th post to demand obedience.

I always count my money with the teller in front of me. Recently I was short changed by $10. I asked the teller to look at the check I gave him and he realized his mistake. But I got the strange feeling that he meant to short change me. I felt that he thought since I am an old lady with a foreign type of name that I wouldn't notice and be too shy to ask him to check the mistake. My mom would have been too shy to say there was a mistake.

I keep all of my receipts when I cruise. I just throw them in a drawer and when it is time to pay I just pay after mid-night on the last day and settle my account. When I find mistakes I have it traced. The reason I do this is because in 1999, I cruised on the Carnival Imagination and their Beauty Salon charged me $50. stating I have my hair styled the morning that I was leaving the ship. The slip had no signature. But the purser didn't believe me. When I got home I reported this problem to my credit card. I had great evidence. It took Carnival 3 months to finally say there was a mistake. I got my money back.

I believe that if you are ripped off you ought to complain and you should deal with responsive people to resolve the matter.

Of course hours later the till didn't show the extra money.

I would call the Florida State Attorney General's office and file a complaint. I would file a complaint with the Better Business Bureau (although it is unlikely they would help). I would e-mail Mr. Cahill and everybody else I could think of. I'm not sure of the citizenship of the Arisons so e-mailing them might not help.

Carnival Cruise Guest Services and their land based folks in Miami have never experienced a problem too small to be solvable. But if you think you have a legitimate issue of theft here, go for it.

Even though it would annoy me about the money I would just let it go because the op had a responisibility to count the money befoe leaving the desk not hours later. Probably filing something with the cruisline might be a good idea in case it happens again with the same employee.

I believe that if you are ripped off you ought to complain and you should deal with responsive people to resolve the matter.

I would call the Florida State Attorney General's office and file a complaint. I would file a complaint with the Better Business Bureau (although it is unlikely they would help). I would e-mail Mr. Cahill and everybody else I could think of. I'm not sure of the citizenship of the Arisons so e-mailing them might not help.

Carnival Cruise Guest Services and their land based folks in Miami have never experienced a problem too small to be solvable. But if you think you have a legitimate issue of theft here, go for it.

It's posts like this which prove why we've become in many ways a litigational society of greedy money-grubbing whiners.:)

There is absolutely no proof that the OP was "ripped off". Carnival is innocent until proved guilty, and all of the evidence indicates that the missing $40 was either lost or inadvertently spent.

What night do play in the comedy club on the "Dream"...This is the best tongue in cheek post I have seen this week....lol :D

ok here's a question. as the op states "we told the guest relations person we would like to put $200 on our account". assuming the guest relations person heard this and then proceeds to count only $160 don't ya think he/she should have said wait a minute there's only $160 here and not just write the receipt for $160 knowing that the op thinks he/she is putting down $200?

Stop making sense! We have no use for any of that. ;)

I have mixed feelings on this one.

On one hand money is money. whether it's $1.00 or $100.00 that is money they earned and worked hard for and the principle of the matter is IF it was stolen or pocketed it is TOTALLY unacceptable and now one should just be telling them to "get over it it was only $40.00" it's the principle. stealing is stealing and it's WRONG! And they should be MORE than compensated if that happened.

However... If they reviewed the video I'm sure they'd have seen if the person had pocketed it. they'd have been busted. So My gut does say that the above scenario is probably not what happened.

I would say your best bet would be to check the atm receipt to show how much you pulled out and or get a bank statement which should show the exact amount and the date and time. If you went to deposit the money right after you pulled it out that should match up with the time the lady put the money in the drawer and the time she gave you the receipt.

I am sorry this happened. like I said my gut tells me it was a misunderstanding or an accident of some sorts. But I would take it up with corparate just so it's documented in the event that another incedent happens like this from that same guest service agent.

It's posts like this which prove why we've become in many ways a litigational society of greedy money-grubbing whiners.:)

There is absolutely no proof that the OP was "ripped off". Carnival is innocent until proved guilty' date=' and all of the evidence indicates that the missing $40 was either lost or inadvertently spent.[/quote']

But, then again, Al Capone could say the same...

No, he was idicted tried and convicted of tax evasion. He spent absolutely no time for his crimes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Al_Capone

Perhaps you should have read the entire wikipedia article. And the word "incarceration" in the part you quoted means being put in jail. :)

The judge gave him an 11-year sentence along with heavy fines, and liens were filed against his various properties. His appeal was denied. In May 1932, Capone was sent to Atlanta U.S. Penitentiary, but he was able to obtain special privileges. Later, for a short period of time, he was transferred to the Lincoln Heights Jail. He was transferred to Alcatraz on August 11, 1934, which was newly established as a prison on an island off San Francisco.[22] The warden kept tight security and cut off Capone's contact with colleagues. His isolation and the repeal of Prohibition in December 1933, which reduced a major source of revenue, diminished his power.[citation needed]

Acaponeh.jpg magnify-clip.png

Al Capone at Alcatraz

Capone had some problems at Alcatraz. While working in the prison basement, he got into an argument with an inmate who was standing in line waiting for a haircut; this person then stabbed him with a pair of shears. Capone was admitted into the prison hospital with a minor wound and released a few days later.[2] In addition, his health declined as the syphilis which he had contracted as a youth progressed. He spent the last year of his sentence in the prison hospital, confused and disoriented.[23] Capone completed his term in Alcatraz on January 6, 1939, and was transferred to the Federal Correctional Institution at Terminal Island in California, to serve his one-year misdemeanor sentence.[sentence for what? not explained above further explanation needed] He was paroled on November 16, 1939, and, after having spent a short time in a hospital, returned to his home in Palm Island, Florida.[citation needed]

Perhaps you should have read the entire wikipedia article. And the word "incarceration" in the part you quoted means being put in jail. :)

The judge gave him an 11-year sentence along with heavy fines' date=' and liens were filed against his various properties. His appeal was denied. In May 1932, Capone was sent to Atlanta U.S. Penitentiary, but he was able to obtain special privileges. Later, for a short period of time, he was transferred to the Lincoln Heights Jail. He was transferred to Alcatraz on August 11, 1934, which was newly established as a prison on an island off San Francisco.[22] The warden kept tight security and cut off Capone's contact with colleagues. His isolation and the repeal of Prohibition in December 1933, which reduced a major source of revenue, diminished his power.[citation needed]

Acaponeh.jpg magnify-clip.png

Al Capone at Alcatraz

Capone had some problems at Alcatraz. While working in the prison basement, he got into an argument with an inmate who was standing in line waiting for a haircut; this person then stabbed him with a pair of shears. Capone was admitted into the prison hospital with a minor wound and released a few days later.[2] In addition, his health declined as the syphilis which he had contracted as a youth progressed. He spent the last year of his sentence in the prison hospital, confused and disoriented.[23] Capone completed his term in Alcatraz on January 6, 1939, and was transferred to the Federal Correctional Institution at Terminal Island in California, to serve his one-year misdemeanor sentence.[sentence for what? not explained above further explanation needed] He was paroled on November 16, 1939, and, after having spent a short time in a hospital, returned to his home in Palm Island, Florida.[citation needed]

Forgive the blank stare but isn't this what I just said?

ETA: Ahhh. I understand what you are getting at. My comment was meant that he spent no time for his "real" crimes.

What night do play in the comedy club on the "Dream"...This is the best tongue in cheek post I have seen this week....lol :D

I totally agree with you or the poster you quoted is one of the more ridiculous I have seen on these boards.

I am sorry that you are going through this ordeal. Yes, it is only $40 dollars but I think that it is the principle of the issue.

Here are my thoughts. Flame me if you like.

I find it hard to believe that these people would continue to pursue this matter if they did not believe it was true.

You should always check your receipts (even thought I don’t)

I think it is odd that someone would take such a chance to steal $40 when they are under camera and there is a receipt involved, but stranger things have happened.

I would contact Carnival directly with the names of and times of everyone that you spoke to. I would provide a copy of the ATM receipt and the receipt that you received from your deposit. I would be polite but tactful and I would request $40 credit on your next cruise.

Carnival should have process in place to ensure that issues like this are resolved. Balancing the drawer, process for handling cash transactions and cameras are great way to eliminate these issues. Since there was an issue with the cameras I think that Carnival should error on the side of the customer. A future cruise credit is fair for everyone. No one gets sent home for stealing and the passenger is not out any money.

If Carnival chooses to not honor your request, there are several other cruise options for your vacation dollar. That is a choice that you will need to make. There is no need to contact the Attorney General, the Better Business Bureau, and the FBI, CIA or any other agency. Remember, it is only $40 dollars.

I have been on several Carnival cruises as shown below, not everyone has been perfect but Carnival has been good about handling the majority of the issues.

First of all, don't waste your postage writing to Carnival. We did so after some events at our daughter's onboard wedding, AND after some experiences I had with accessibility issues on our last cruise and it is very obvious that the higher-ups at Carnival are experts at CYA - hence their response that there was/was not a procedure in place for photographing the count. That's where you went wrong, and I'll bet it won't happen again!

Re the prepaid tips, we've decided that we aren't doing prepaid tips any longer, especially now that they want to charge them WHEN YOU BOOK YOUR CRUISE! Why on earth let Carnival float your funds for six months or whatever amount of time there is before you sail. My biggest question would be why on earth it would take 2-3 weeks for them to return your prepaid tips. If, as you indicated, you didn't intend to take your anger out on the people who treated you well, there is no reason why the GSM should have even begun to question you about that! It's actually none of their business WHAT you do about tipping!

Don't, however, let this ruin your trip. It's aggravating, but in the grand scheme of things, not worth getting riled over. It's enough that you'd best believe they are keeping their eye on that particular person, so if they did it to you, they'll do it to someone else and hopefully will get caught. Learn from it, however - always check your receipts onboard.

Archived