Cabin Water

Can someone tell me is the cold water from the tap in the cabin ok to drink or do we need to buy bottled water

Alan

No, you can get small glasses of water from the dispenser in the restaurants or buy bottled water on ship but it's quite pricey. The tap is quite low down on the dispenser to stop people filling up their bottles and to avoid contamination through people drinking out of bottles. We always grab a couple of large bottles from the airport when through security to see us through and get more when we're off ship in port.:):)

Jan

Yes, the water from the cabin taps is safe to drink. It has to be because of health regulations. It is probably a mixture of water piped aboard at port and desalinated water produced onbard.

The taste is bit iffy though and i buy bottled water for my bedside glass.

The water from the restaurant dispensers might well be exactly the same stuff that comes out of the taps!.

No, you can get small glasses of water from the dispenser in the restaurants or buy bottled water on ship but it's quite pricey. The tap is quite low down on the dispenser to stop people filling up their bottles and to avoid contamination through people drinking out of bottles. We always grab a couple of large bottles from the airport when through security to see us through and get more when we're off ship in port.:):)

Jan

Jan,

I thought the large bottled water left in the cabin were reasonably priced at 1-75,much cheaper than the bottled water in the ports.

Agree with davetheroad.Having tasted the water out of the tap and out the restaurant dispensers I would say both the same.....Not very good

Well I wouldn't drink it no matter what anyone says.

I've drunk it on every cruise and I'm not shoving up the daisies yet. :D

But as Dave says it does taste a bit grim, especially after it's been standing a bit

Berwyn

I've drank the water from the tap .....would not say its the best but hey alright if you are thirsty......And I wash my teeth with it!! You could get some from the bar or have some brought to your room ....We arrange with our room boy to fill our ice bucket every night, which kept our mixer drinks cold and also added to our whisky.

But you can buy the bottle water from the room 1litre for 1 .75 or get it at the various ports/harbours.....Having just done the Aegean cruise they were selling bottle water at 50 cents for a small bottle or 1 euro for a litre bottle, and in some turkish shops using turkish money it work out less than that.

Dont go thirsty!!

Can someone tell me is the cold water from the tap in the cabin ok to drink or do we need to buy bottled water

Alan

Yes it's safe to drink (there are no warnings notices not to drink it anyway - I'm sure they would have to if it were unsafe to drink). I use it to take pills etc and for teeth cleaning and in many trips haven't had a problem.

Sometimes, as others have said it tastes a bit tainted - due to the treatment to render it safe for consumption I suppose. This can also be true of the iced water they serve you in the dining room. BUT we have just come back from the Dream and found the water served quite acceptable - no obvious Chlorine-y taste at all either in the cabin or dining room - and because of the heat we drank loads of it!!!!

As others have said water and iced water are available in the self service restaurant to help yourself.

As you are travelling on the Dream you will be departing from Majorca and there was some info on here recently about the shopping centre within a ten minute walk from the berth in Palma where there is a Carrefour. If you arrive early enough you would have time to go. Lots of the crew walk over there. We went and bought quite a few bottles of water to take back on the ship I think they cost us about .35E for 500ml. Thomson don't stop you taking water on board so the best thing is to go into small local supermarkets in port and stock up (doesn't work in very touristy places though like Florence though where everything's very expensive - can be 1.50E for 500ml).

Enjoy your trip.

• 4 months later...
Yes, the water from the cabin taps is safe to drink. It has to be because of health regulations. It is probably a mixture of water piped aboard at port and desalinated water produced onbard.

The water from the restaurant dispensers might well be exactly the same stuff that comes out of the taps!.

Thats probably why the coffee tastes so awful.

i m surpised at that! with water i would have like to have thought would have been included in package well well keith

Well Well Kieth .. any water related pun mean't there ? :D

I'm suprised that bottled water isn't in the AI package... Oh well . I'll stick to the strongbow then :eek:

Well Well Kieth .. any water related pun mean't there ? :D

I'm suprised that bottled water isn't in the AI package... Oh well . I'll stick to the strongbow then :eek:

no pun intended was just surprised water was not included in ai by the

way i will be on cider as well

• 1 month later...

Just returned, read on the ¨tag¨on the neck of the bottle for sale in the cabin ....¨although the tap water is perfectly safe to drink it has been treated and chlorinated to comply with heath regulations and therefore some passengers may find the taste a little strange.....

So we bought a bottle at 1.75 (one & a half litres) not relly worth lugging it back from the shops, unless you are taking a taxi anyway. mari

• 2 weeks later...

We've just returned from a P&O cruise where I drank the tap water in the cabin as I was told it is perfectly safe to drink. I assume that this would be the same on all ships ........ and did you know that they store this water once its brought on board via a pipe between the inner and outer hull of the ship? Hence, if you are cruising in a warm sea/ocean the tap water comes out of the tap warm. Anyway, I digress, because I have to drink between 2-3 litres of water daily for medicinal reasons, I always use tapwater rather than having to buy it for obvious reasons. I was absolutely fine until about 10 days into the cruise when my ol' tum started to feel a bit 'strange' and so I stopped drinking the tap water and I felt good again. Maybe it was because of the chlorine/chemicals or whatever and because I have to drink so much of it that it started to have an adverse effect on me, but in future I think I shall alternate between bottled and cabin tap water.

We go to the same place in Palma, It's about a 10 min walk which is nothing when you think of all the walking you do. We paid 19c in October for 1.5 ltrs bottle. It is also quite good for your mixers for the cabin as well.

Archived